THERE'S HOPE for the Wheeling Inn.
I'm staying at the Wheeling Inn for a week. After reading the reviews, I was skeptical, but let's just say that its not as bad as I imaged it to be.
The Wheeling Inn is currently in the process of being renovated. It is to become a Knights Inn.
From what I can tell, the new owner is doing everything possible to make this place more welcoming, and has done a great job so far. I'll describe the developments that I noticed later, but first let me give you an idea of what the hotel is like.
There are several floors, with access via stairs and elevator. Rooms are accessed via an outdoor balcony that spans the perimeter of each floor, similar to a college apartment.
The rooms are small - about 12'x18' with a bathroom attached (12' x 5')
The rooms have a heady metal door with SIM card access and a glass window of about (6'x7'). A sliding curtain covers the window.
Rooms are equipped with:
1. A/C and Heater unit. Small, with adjustable settings. (A/C works great)
2. 3 lamps
3. a bed (Beds vary. (1) King or (2) queens are what I've seen so far.)
4. a nightstand
5. a small table and (2) chairs.
6. a wardrobe
9. LCD television
Bath is equipped with:
When I arrived yesterday, I was placed in a smoking room, likely because I had my dog with me. After smelling the room, I quickly returned to the desk, and they happily moved me to my choice of two other rooms. Awesome service on their part.
The room I am in seems like it's been cleaned. The carpet is worn, but I don't notice stains or any odd smells. The furniture is dated, but all still functional. Everything works.
The TV seems new (Samsung LCD, 30"?)
I inspected my bedding, and found that the mattress is used, but in good overall condition. The sheets are clean, minus a couple small stains on underside of the cover (it's been washed).
The bed and bedding is surprisingly comfortable. I never sleep well on the first night out, but I slept very well last night.
I've looked for bugs, but thankfully haven't found any.
Noise is my largest concern right now. There is a lot of construction going on in the building, and throughout the day (10 - 4). In the evening, I can hear my neighbor's TV, cars, and such, but it settled by 11pm and was quiet enough for me so sleep last night.
The room service does not replace bedding or towels unless asked. They straighten up the room when you're out (at about 11-12) and they seem to have dog a good job. I spoke with the one that cleaned my room, and she was nice to talk to. She showed a genuine interest in getting to know my dog, so as not to spook it when she returns tomorrow.
As far as the renovations, the elevator (which worked fine yesterday) was shut down today and is being either refurbished or replaced. Don't expect it to be back up for a few weeks.
The lobby was good when I came in yesterday, and by this morning, it looked pretty good! The hardwood floor shines, and the tile floor is clean.
As I sit here typing, I've seen workers go by countless times with mattresses and bed supports that they are replacing. Old ones come out, and others (used, but in good condition) come in.
The stairs on the west end of the building (leading to the riverfront walkway) are being renovated. They're patching the concrete steps today.
It really is shaping up. I'm excited to
see what it looks like when I return in November.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wheeling Inn Hotel is a 5-story riverfront motor lodge hotel with exterior corridors. We offer outstanding amenities. The hotel is located nestled alongside the Wheeling Suspension Bridge, offering amazing night time views of the bridge and the Ohio River. The hotel is located in the heart of historic downtown Wheeling just a short 8/10th of a mile to Wheeling Island Casino and racetrack. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Knights Inn Wheeling reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Wheeling Hotel Wheeling
- Best Western Wheeling
- Wheeling Best Western