“There's hope, after all, for the Wheeling Inn.” 2 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Wheeling
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   949 Main Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Newburgh, Indiana, United States
“There's hope, after all, for the Wheeling Inn.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

THERE'S HOPE for the Wheeling Inn.

I'm staying at the Wheeling Inn for a week. After reading the reviews, I was skeptical, but let's just say that its not as bad as I imaged it to be.

The Wheeling Inn is currently in the process of being renovated. It is to become a Knights Inn.

From what I can tell, the new owner is doing everything possible to make this place more welcoming, and has done a great job so far. I'll describe the developments that I noticed later, but first let me give you an idea of what the hotel is like.

There are several floors, with access via stairs and elevator. Rooms are accessed via an outdoor balcony that spans the perimeter of each floor, similar to a college apartment.

The rooms are small - about 12'x18' with a bathroom attached (12' x 5')

The rooms have a heady metal door with SIM card access and a glass window of about (6'x7'). A sliding curtain covers the window.

Rooms are equipped with:
1. A/C and Heater unit. Small, with adjustable settings. (A/C works great)
2. 3 lamps
3. a bed (Beds vary. (1) King or (2) queens are what I've seen so far.)
4. a nightstand
5. a small table and (2) chairs.
6. a wardrobe

Bath is equipped with:
1. Shower
2. Toilet
3. Sink

When I arrived yesterday, I was placed in a smoking room, likely because I had my dog with me. After smelling the room, I quickly returned to the desk, and they happily moved me to my choice of two other rooms. Awesome service on their part.

The room I am in seems like it's been cleaned. The carpet is worn, but I don't notice stains or any odd smells. The furniture is dated, but all still functional. Everything works.

The TV seems new (Samsung LCD, 30"?)

I inspected my bedding, and found that the mattress is used, but in good overall condition. The sheets are clean, minus a couple small stains on underside of the cover (it's been washed).

The bed and bedding is surprisingly comfortable. I never sleep well on the first night out, but I slept very well last night.

I've looked for bugs, but thankfully haven't found any.

Noise is my largest concern right now. There is a lot of construction going on in the building, and throughout the day (10 - 4). In the evening, I can hear my neighbor's TV, cars, and such, but it settled by 11pm and was quiet enough for me so sleep last night.

The room service does not replace bedding or towels unless asked. They straighten up the room when you're out (at about 11-12) and they seem to have dog a good job. I spoke with the one that cleaned my room, and she was nice to talk to. She showed a genuine interest in getting to know my dog, so as not to spook it when she returns tomorrow.

As far as the renovations, the elevator (which worked fine yesterday) was shut down today and is being either refurbished or replaced. Don't expect it to be back up for a few weeks.

The lobby was good when I came in yesterday, and by this morning, it looked pretty good! The hardwood floor shines, and the tile floor is clean.

As I sit here typing, I've seen workers go by countless times with mattresses and bed supports that they are replacing. Old ones come out, and others (used, but in good condition) come in.

The stairs on the west end of the building (leading to the riverfront walkway) are being renovated. They're patching the concrete steps today.

It really is shaping up. I'm excited to
see what it looks like when I return in November.

Room Tip: North rooms have abundant sunlight. South rooms look at another building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Wheeling has many Great Hotels - and is a Great Town - Do Not Stay At This Hotel - I love to come to Wheeling for vacation - shows and the many great events.

This hotel should be closed for unsafe and Very Dirty conditions. Maybe if enough people complain the City will take action and do what is right for the city and the vistors that come to this city.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: None at This Hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were late into town and got the last room, probably the worst room. Smoking. Poor linen, poor towels. Breakfast was coffee and juice and pretzels. However. the owner was very helpful, and said that one day he would renovate it to its former glory!

Wheeling is a poor shadow of a once grand town, So reminiscent of much of rural America. Industry left, and nothing else to do for work. The new shale oil miners come in from out of town. Locals not qualified and are not employed. So sad.

Room Tip: I dont think that there is.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Had to stay here after everything else in Wheeling and Moundsville was booked. Nasty rooms and unsafe areas. Bathroom was a nightmare. It had stains on the floor that could be easily cleaned with bleach. Also found a dirty shirt laying in the bathroom floor. It's like house keeping totally skipped my room. Housekeeping should be fired. You would be better off driving to the next city.

I do have to say that the lady @ the desk was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Keep driving...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

This place is horrible! We were refered to this hell hole after all other hotels were booked. we thought paying 80 dollars a night..it would be at least halfway decent...WRONG!!!! It was the dirtiest nastiest. most unsanitary place i have ever been to! The room smelled the floors and carpeting were filthy! The halls and stairwells were utterly disgusting. The elevator was just as bad...we wouldnt even attempt to ride it. the lamps...the electrical outlets...all unsafe and definately a fire hazard. the place should be CONDEMNED! not to mention the customer service was horrific. the hotel staff (all two of them i seen) were rude and unpleasant! I would not reccommend this place to even my worst enemy! Just horrible!

• Stayed May 2012
Dorfville, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is quite possible the most filthy, horrible, third world flop house dump of a hotel in America. This place is horrific. I wouldn't be surprised to find a dead body under the bed. I would literally sleep in my car rather than stay in this hell hole. This place is awful in every way. STAY AWAY!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

the worst place I stay during my trip from West cost to Est cost. The elevator was a trash can. The 3rd floor hallway was terrible (see the picture). The room was ok for me because I had no other choice but my wife would prefer sleep in the car. Terrible place but very nice people at front desk.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Knights Inn Wheeling? Share your experiences!