“"Comfortable to be yourself"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Long Fork Campground

Long Fork Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Walton
Long Fork Campground
Save Saved
You added Long Fork Campground to your Saves list
114 Longfork Camp Rd, Walton, WV 25286   |
Columbus, Ohio
“"Comfortable to be yourself"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

My partner and I recently spent 4 nights and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the deluxe suite and it was clean and they had everything we needed. The owners made us feel very welcomed and even invited us to dinner one evening. The grounds were beautiful, the pool was relaxing, and the hot tub and steam room were awesome. We enjoyed the bar by poolside in the day and the Mail Pouch bar at night. They have a great wood buck stove like fire place in the bar with comfy leather seating, which was very cozy on a cool night. We listened to Karoke on Friday night and got to see a show on Saturday night. The guys who run the grill are great fun and very warm people. We met some great locals in which my partner and I had felt we had known them for years.We will be back and have recommended Long Fork to our friends.

Room Tip: "if staying for longer than a weekend, bring some food with you...nice general store real close...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Longfork is a gay campground for men, no matter what else you see on the internet. They used to have a mixed crowd, but the women were mostly no-shows, and scared off the guys. I guess they also do special events for mixed crowds and are open to the idea if someone wanted to organize it, but luckilly it was a regular weekend when I went. I really loved this place and the owners are great, you really feel like they are opening their home and their woodland to you. It is not a big flat lawn with a bunch of tents, or a mobile home park with a bunch of naked old dudes, it has a little of everything. It was actually really tame, and well-run, a testament to its owner. They have a bunk house, KOA style cabins, and RV spaces, but I went to camp so I got one of the tent sites but splurged on having electricity (to charge my cell phone ... which didn't end up having service out there...damn Verizon...it's AT&T territory). I went alone (hence why I decided on a gay campground...because lets face it, gay guys are nice and would tell someone if a crazy guy decided to off you in the forrest), and took my two dogs. It is not only completely single friendly (every camper indroduced themselves to me, and even fed me...talk about friendly), but it is very dog friendly (they live by the rule that you have dog privileges until you prove you don't deserve them...hence why I put my jack russells on their leashes b/c they couldn't play nice with the bigger dogs). Some very cool pluses: (1) the place is big enough that on weekends where there is not a main event you can pick a remote site or hike in the woods and feel like you are all alone in the forest, (2) they have an awesome pool & jacuzzi (clean!) with a little BYOB bar area for hanging out, (3) they have a full breakfast on Sundays and often the campers make dinner on other nights, and (4) the little town of Walton is right down the road with a general store straight out of the movies where you can get everyhing from chicken feed to electronics, but most importantly home cookin grub that is smack your mamma good. The only downsides are that: (1) it is far away (I drove from DC, and it took over 5 hours), (2) you have to drive past some WV yards that give visions of Deliverance, but once at the campground all is good, and (3) the showers need a little work, but they were clean and there were plenty available. Probably the nicest campground I've been to, and gay to boot!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Long Fork Campground? Share your experiences!