“No Problems here” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tallyho Mountain Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thomas
Tallyho Mountain Lodge
Save Saved
You added Tallyho Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Southside State Route 32, Canaan Valley, Thomas, WV 26292   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thomas
Dover
“No Problems here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

It was fine. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable...
We were there to ski so as far as a place to crash it was perfect. Great restaurant next door. If you want jacuzzis and hot tubs, you need to go elsewhere...we skied til we dropped, showered and slept. Beautiful area.

• Liked — proximity to slopes
  • Disliked — no coffee in the morning
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Where do I begin...
The room and hallway smelled musty and unclean. Two of the five lamps worked in the room. The other lamps had missing knobs and bulbs. There was someone's random HAIR next to the sink. The plastic cover on the cold water knob was missing. NO SHAMPOO or hairdryer was supplied. The bathroom caulking was flaking off. There was a LOT of crusty, brown and white hard-water stains on the fixtures of the tub/shower, which entails that they were hardly cleaned. The hot water surged or became cold at times. The gap between the bed and the couch was not vacuumed and was unclean with dust bunnies and trash. The toilet moved when you sat on it! The hot lamp in the bathroom did not work. The bed was incredibly worn and felt like I was sleeping on a sunken jelly donut. I woke up with neck pains and a lower back pains--which is rare for me. The mirror above the sink was warped like a fun-house mirror. The walls and ceiling were paper-thin and you can hear your neighbors CLEARLY. The heater was difficult to adjust.

I rented one bed (king sized) for two people and the cost was $95+. For that price, I don't expect the Ritz, but I do expect cleanliness. It was disgusting and I will never recommend anyone--even the budget conscious--to go there.

• Liked — It was next to a place that served a good burger.
  • Disliked — The smell and unclean room.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
balto md
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

What a dump!! The room was not really cleaned well. Someone else's pube hair was on the bed, & tolit. It didn't smell clean, rather musty. It was in need of renovations a good 8 years ago!!

DO NOT STAY HERE! Its worth the drive to stay in another town.
Bob & Cindy Rynes, Baltimore MD

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — room was filthy, unclean. OUT dated and in need of serious repairs!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Our room was a typical old style motel room. The web site says it has been remodeled but I don't know when. The bathroom was OK, the formica on the sink was peeling. The beds were very comfortable. There was an odor out in the hallway we think was due to the air conditioner draining on to the carpets in the hall.

The staff was very friendly and helpful but they weren't there full time.

If the guys are going out for the weekend, this place is convenient but I wouldn't take my family there.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

TALLYHO: MOM RECOMMENDED

First, I am a resident of Thomas, WV. I have family from out of state that has stayed at Tallyho Mountain Lodge more than once and will definitely stay again, because I have made the reservations for my family many times recently and over the past years, and I CARE where they stay. I have worked with the public for many years here (Blackwater State Park Lodge, Highlander Village, Blackwater Plaza and many other places in the area.).... I have met many people and there is no pleasing everyone all the time...My family and I have nothing but good things to say about TALLYHO MOUNTAIN LODGE.

From first hand experience, I can assure you that my family members love staying at Tallyho, and have had the best sleep there than anywhere else in the area. I know first hand of many other local residents who have their families stay there also. They have the best pillowtop beds, I have seen them and I WANT ONE, but they won't tell me the make and model, love the king size beds!! My family would never stay anywhere that was not maintained or not clean or bug ridden, and I can tell you Tallyho is cared for, is maintained well and is CLEAN.

And for those of you that do not know anything about bedbugs, let me tell you..When I was a young girl, I stayed with a family that had bedbugs...You know it as soon as they bite you, the bites do not show up days later....This is a small town and I would know from all that can happen in a tight knit community what a SMEAR attack can do. I could SMELL this one a mile away.

I have cleaned and made beds MANY times over the years, so I know anybody can miss things (nobody can claim to be perfect). I have been in many of the rooms at Tallyho, and it is obvious to me they take pride in their facility, and they keep it CLEAN.

But there are always some people who will say or do anything to try and get a refund or get out of paying for something. It is interesting to me after reading other member profiles, how many chronic complainers there are in the world. Ever heard the old saying, if you're not going to say anything nice don't say it at all?

Stayed June 2007
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

I am astonished at the comments below. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and have not seen any bugs, mildew on tiles, nor have I had any "smelly" rooms. The rooms are not old or small, everything is current and up-to-date. The view of Backbone Mountain and the windmills is breath taking. It certainly sounds like false claims of people that tried to ploy their way out of their prepaid reservations. For those that say otherwise, I suggest you see an Optometrist.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

We chose this spot because of the one line in the vistors guide for Canaan Valley...vista of Backbone Mountain windmills. Also because the word Mountain Lodge. When we drove up it was a "sea of asphalt" with a building in the middle. On one side was a school bus parking garage and on the other was a convenience/gas store. The "vistas" could only be viewed in one part of the parking lot (behind a resturant). You could see the windmills but through the telephone wires, asphalt, other buildings. The "Lodge" was a dark and dingy room with no place to be outdoors unless you sat in the parking lot. And no common area to enjoy. The king size bed was really a canoe, the blanket was so old that it had turned to rubber, the bathroom fixtures were corroded, there was no natural light, and the check-in was not even a hint of friendliness or welcoming no helpful. NEVER EVER EVER STAY HERE. IT IS MISLEADING AND YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF IN A DUMP.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Tallyho Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!