“My room was clean, the price was right, and the location is awesome.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tallyho Mountain Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thomas
Tallyho Mountain Lodge
Save Saved
You added Tallyho Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Southside State Route 32, Canaan Valley, Thomas, WV 26292   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thomas
Finleyville, Pennsylvania
“My room was clean, the price was right, and the location is awesome.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My experience at the Tallyho might have been skewed by the reviews I read here beforehand. I was prepared for something off putting to happen and it never came to be. Upon checking-in I inspected the room way more than I normally would during a hotel stay and everything was fine. Clean sheets, clean bathroom, clean sink, etc. There was some Ben and Jerry's in the fridge from the person before me, the room smelled like a smoking room, and one of the lamps wasn't plugged in. Not a big deal. I had a King bed and the room had a large couch in it as well. If you are looking for a 5 Star hotel this isn't it but if you have reasonable expectations the Tallyho is great. The Canaan Valley is incredibly beautiful and we had a great trip snow-shoeing near Black Water Falls. I will be returning in a few months and would stay here again without thinking twice. Also, they have killer buckwheat pancakes and delicious fresh cut french fries at Rose's diner next door.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a smoking room there are ground level king sized rooms that face away from the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
west virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Well here I sit on the bed of this hotel...disgusted. The other reviews are dead on, our room is filthy. The bathroom is the dirtiest I honestly ever have went into, including campground restrooms. The amount of dirt in the corners is awful, the commode had not been wiped down at all and it was noticeable, the bowl has not been scrubbed for months. The shower head is filthy, the floor around the commode...I have no words for. Commode bowl plunger has 3 inches of dust & filth on it, the fan in bathroom is barely hanging, I could go on & on. I soaked everything with Lysol and removed the bedspreads. The bedsheets are clean but the beds are awful. We are here for 2 nights, one down one to go, we have a small dog and I refuse to allow her to eat her snack off the floor, yeah, it's that bad. We are here bc it's pet friendly and few places in this area are and are booked (I've checked!). The website is not accurate at all, would love to see those renovated rooms! We are in rm. 113. For $185.00 for 2 nights we will never return and as I've already read it does no good to complain but I have plenty of pics!!! Please don't stay here it is truly really a dump. Also the quote given on the phone was not the price we paid, another misconception. Oh yeah, a dirty diaper on the parking lot was most attractive. SKIP THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!! DISGUSTING!!!!!!!! Look at my pics I have added here and judge for yourself. I will turn the pictures into the WV BOH (Board of Health). I will give an update on their response to my complaints after we check out tomorrow.

Room Tip: NO room can be good here....please avoid this place.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My nephew and i stayed at the Tallyho a few weeks ago and found the room to be very clean and tidy and the beds comfortable. The girl who checked us in and out the next day was very cordial and knowledgeable about local entertainment options and places to eat including a great place for breakfast. All and all the girl who worked the front desk was great, the room good; overall a very nice place to stay. It ain’t the Waldorf but for me I mostly care about the room I sleep in and the Tallyho certainly met my expectations and did so for a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I will begin by saying that Thomas, WV and the rest of the Canaan Valley may be one of my favorite places on Earth. The people and things to do in this area are just fantastic. I am a musician and love going to Thomas for the stellar live music and the local art. The local food is great, the local beer at the brewery next door to the hotel is spectacular. The Mountain State Brewing Company is one of those places that makes you want to come back as often as possible. I like to go to Thomas a few times a year for all of the things I just mentioned. Typically when I go, I stay at a Bed and Breakfast that is just a mile or so out of town. This trip was last minute so we decided to stay at the Tally-Ho to save a few bucks for all of the great food and beer in the area. BIG MISTAKE.

On the phone while booking, I was told that with my AAA discount, the rate would be $80. OK, so that's fair enough, I mean, its walking distance from the pub. We arrived at about 6:00pm and at check in, were charged the rate of $95. I know there is tax (12%), but I was not told that they charge you $5 extra for a second person. I also learned that this policy is only used when the girl at the desk remembers to do so. Thanks for that one. Also on the phone, I was told that I needed to book at that point, rather than waiting to show up because they only had three rooms left. I don't know the exact number, but it seemed there were only about 5 other guests in the whole hotel. So we go to our room, which has no coffee pot, no blow dryer, iron, and was also lacking in the area of non-gross smells. The room smelled like mold. The carpet was torn and was filthy. There were actually three spots in the floor that were caving in. This room was on the first floor! The shower was awful and it leaked water all over the floor. The rusted beer opener on the sink was a classy touch. I reached behind the couch (which I think was supposed to be white, but was actually yellow with an occasional spot of white) to plug in our iPod speakers and truly wish I had not done so. Simply filthy with dead bugs.

You would think that at the end of the first night, we would have left, alas, we decided to tough it out, not wanted to move to another place that would have been much further out of town. So after getting back from an amazing day of hiking, photography, great food, amazing waterfalls, and great beer, we were exhausted. At about 1:30am, the power went out. So, I went to the front desk to speak with someone about it. No one was there. There was no way to even get a hold of someone because the phones were dead. It turned into a truly creepy, horror movie scenario. The entire place was completely dark, no power and no one around to let us know what was happening. I opted to call the state police who told us an accident had occurred down the road.

After waking up, it was time to check out. It was 11:00am on Sunday. There was no employee to be found! I wanted to complain and ask for a partial refund. I assume that is something they are used to, so they probably intentionally have no one there. There was another key sitting on the desk, so I left mine sitting next to it.

This is possible one of the worst hotels I have ever been to. I am not picky at all, but this one shocked even me. Please heed my advice and NEVER STAY HERE. For a few more dollars, you can stay at a B&B and get treated like royalty. It really disappoints me to know that such a filthy, unethical place exists in such great area. If you come to Canaan Valley, see the sights and take in the culture, but do not stay in this pit. EVER.

Room Tip: Never, ever, stay here for any reason.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012 via mobile

Tried to put us in a dirty room with unmade bed and dirty towels in the BR.Paid for a smoking room with no ashtray, only got two towels for 2 people with long hair(thankfully I had my own),a dirty rag and someone's beer was in the frig, no hairdryer, no coffee pot, no continental breakfast,trash littering the whole back of the place,no ice bucket or ice and the only remote for the TV that worked was for the lobby...keep driving....we will never go back

• Stayed April 2012
Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Dont know where to start i only have one good thing to say about this place but i will save that for last!!! Well to start off the bathroom was very gross it had hair in the bath tub and in the sink, there was still someones pee in the toilet (so that tells me that no one must have been in the bathroom to clean it). The carpet was very worn and dirty(must not have been swept sence it was put in back in the 80's) and is in need of some new carpet. Their are a lot of as the desk clerk said (workers) who are very loud and do not respect other people trying to sleep, the walls must be paper thin cause u can hear just about everything that other people say and DO!! The the bed was very nasty their was (hairs) in the bed and do not really want to know what part of the body they came off of, also their where many stains one of witch was blood and the others well i dont even want to know what they where, and the sheets couldnt have been washed and re-put on the beds concetering you coulde still smell the perfume of who ever slept their last!!! But over all i think the worst two things where the mouse that crawled acrost my feet when i was laying (on top off all the covers that is) or the dead cockroches i found besides the night stand ( if i have learned anything from watching billy the extermanator) that is witch where there are dead ones there are live ones, and that is just plain unhealthy!!!! I know im probley forgeting something but i dont have anymore time to spare talking about this place and it is bring back very bad memories!!! So on to the one good thing i have to say about the place is the two desk clerks ( i do believe that their names where Sherry And Jen) and the cleaning lady ( i do believe her name was shelia).

Room Tip: If you want a good room dont stay here!!!!!!! I Recomend Blackwater It's Only about 3-6 miles a...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cresson, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

It works. It stinks. If you want clean pillows and bedding, bring em. Want a blowdryer? Bring that too. Want coffee? Bring coffee and coffeepot. Beds are hard but better than sleeping on the sidewalk I guess. $85 . . . : / oh and that smell in the hallway? That's NOT the A/C . . .That is human urine

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Tallyho Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!