“We tried it once, will we try it again?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of TipTop

TipTop
214 East Avenue, Thomas, WV (Formerly Tip Top Coffee)
304.463.4455
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Thomas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Organic, Bar, Coffee Shop, Bakeries
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Coffeebar. Edibles. Spirits.Specialty Coffee Roasted by Forty Weight Coffee (Given that our menu changes weekly and by season, expect origin offerings from the regions of Latin American, East Africa and the Pacific Rim to rotate and blow your flavor palate with international notes, that beckon you discern what exactly is brewing in your cup!)Smoothies, Local & In-house Baked Goods, Fine Wine & Beer, Small Batch Craft Spirits, Small Batch Chocolates, Lunch Specials, Friday Burger Nights, Seasonal Dinner Specials.
Charleston, West Virginia
“We tried it once, will we try it again?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

A friend and I stopped by Top Top Coffee on a Friday night (burger night) at the end of October. We both ordered a Chai latte and it was the absolute best I have ever tasted. Delicious! I understand there aren't a lot of eateries in Thomas offering dinner so I was glad to see this establishment was packed. We ordered our burgers to go (no seating available) and we received two burgers with one bag of chips which I thought odd since it was two meals not one. The burgers were very tasty. I guess my only complaint is about the customers not the restaurant itself. There were several women eating together along with several children in tow. The children were running back & forth in the restaurant while the women ate. I found it to be quite disruptive but maybe that's the norm here, I have no idea, but it didn't help the dinner atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
carchuleta, Owner at TipTop, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you for the review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed a delicious drink and burger. The chips that we serve have 2 servings in each bag. Since your order was to go we did not open the bag and split into 2 servings. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the serving size. We would have gladly given you another bag upon request. I am very unhappy to hear that you weren't pleased with our other customers and their children. That is an aspect of our business that we can not control. My husband and I have a 3 year old and he often accompanies us to work so we do have a kid's corner. We are a family friendly establishment and like to provide a place for parents and children to enjoy. Children playing while parents eat actually is "the norm" in our community during Friday burger night. If you are looking for more of a fine dining experience I encourage you to join us on a night when we take reservations for our farm-to-table cuisine. It is a more intimate dinner atmosphere accompanied by candlelight and a live cellist. I hope that you understand and I appreciate the opportunity to explain.
Carrie Archuleta, Owner

Thomas, West Virginia
“Not a place for "dinner"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Read all of these reviews and thought we were spending our limited time at canaan well by trying this place out- bad idea. Planned on going to a show at the Purple Fiddle, but after our very lackluster experience at tiptop we not satisfied and decided to make it an early night. only three items to choose from at 7:00 on Saturday night- one being soup, one sandwich- both good- but not filling enough after a day on the slopes.
probably better for coffee. not the place for dinner though.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
carchuleta, Owner at TipTop, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
I am so sorry to hear you were unhappy with your experience. I wish you would have called ahead of time to ask if we had a dinner special for Saturday as we are not a full restaurant yet and do not serve dinners everyday. We do not offer dinner on Saturdays during winter hours. Our Saturday night chef happens to be commited to White Grass Cafe in the winter. We focus on farm to table cuisine June through October when produce is available. Our winter dinner offerings are on Friday and Monday nights. I believe you were served sandwiches and soup off of our lunch menu. If you were unhappy with your experience I wish you would have talked with one of our employees who would have tried to make things right so we would have a happy customer. We are fairly new to the food service and we hope to grow and expand in the future. I hope that you understand and I appreciate the opportunity to explain. We really hope that you can come back on a night when we are serving an actual dinner and that you can have a better experience.
Carrie Archuleta, Owner
“Off the menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

My only complaint is that they were out of a lot of menu items I was interested in but the people and clean comfy dining area made it worth it. I would go back-

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Buena Vista, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I found this little gem while staying at Blackwater Falls Lodge during our anniversary weekend. While perusing the other stores on that street, I smelled a delicious coffee smell from the sidewalk outside. I am pregnant and have avoided caffiene when I can but the smell was overwhelming. We decided to try it out and the girl behind the counter was especially patient and told us that she could make anything decaf. It was delicious and we went there again the next day for coffee and bagels while on our way out of town. My husband had the pour over coffee and it is worth the money just to watch them make it. The people who work there are very enthusiastic about what they do and really make you feel welcomed. It's a place you must check out (do yourself a favor and don't wait until the end of your trip because if you're anything like us, you'll want to stop in every day you're in the area).

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina
“Relaxed attitude with sophisticated atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Tip Top Coffee is located in the small town of Thomas, WV. Thomas has gone through tough times. For decedes it was independently viable. Then the local economy crashed. Now the town is re-emerging with a new vitality.
My family has been vacationing on CanaanValley and visiting Thomas for over 30 years.While our time in this area is an escape from the structure of our real lives, we still enjoy a bit of wifi and a good coffee. Tip Top gives us that and more with the addition of adult beverages and delecious (limited) food offerings.
Open only until 5 pm, Tip Top has espresso drinks plus french press and pour overs. Their liquors focuse on micro-distellers and organics.
An invaluable plus for families is the awesome kids play area. With a bit of luck a kid will have somuch fun that thier parents can have a coffee or maybe a martini & read or surf the net for a few moments while the kids play.
I tried a couple of their special bar concoctions and they were delicious. Their chai-tini and gin martini were crafted with care and smooth as could be. I had a capris sandwich that was also yummy.
This is a wonderful spot to linger with a book or wifi and the owner and staff are interested inmaking you feel welcome.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to TipTop? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage TipTop, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.