“A local that loves it !!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Summersville
Craigsville, West Virginia
“A local that loves it !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We live about 15 minutes away and find ourselves here weekly. It is a great local place away from the chains. The staff is friendly. The owner Is around frequently. The food is great. The back deck is awesome. They have air hockey and corn hole back there. Try wings or shrimp with the gold rush sauce. It is unique. You won't be disappointed. They always have an impressive variety on draft. The sports memorabilia is impressive. I'm a die hard WVU fan so I fit right in.

“overated!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We read reviews and our experience was totally different. The décor of the place was right on. This is a sports bar and grill. The ribeye steak my husband ordered was blackened with mushrooms and onions only the cook forgot to "blacken " the steak there was no flavor to the steak at all very bland the mushroom and onions were not seasoned either. The baked potatoe was very small. My Coliseum sandwich was very bland also no flavor on the meat. Yes the beer is cold and the décor is great. Just not great food. Maybe rate it a 7 . But no way #1 ribs from other review was no where in sight or smell!!! wasn't even on the menu. The owner or manager was their but he didn't acknowledge my husband and I at all there were other business men from out of state there and I think he was more interested in entertaining them than thanking his customers who had several other choices to make beside his establishment. Sometimes traveling I do like to make a point not to go to the chain restaurants. But you know what you are getting there. I was very disappointed. And we do go to Summerville at least once a year.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
globojim, General Manager at Maloney's, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience this week, but I do appreciate your criticism as it helps us improve as a restaurant. First, the lack of blackening on steak is absolutely unacceptable. That is an oversight that simply cannot happen. I will be working with the kitchen manager to correct this issue. Second, I'm sorry that your Coliseum sandwich was not to your satisfaction. The Coliseum is only very lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, and if I may suggest an alternative we have a Cajun seasoned variation of the Coliseum called the Lumberjack. It is one of my personal favorites and is a great option if you're looking for a little more flavor. Third, the ribs were a special item that we normally ran on Saturday nights before discontinuing them in mid-July due to lack of interest. Last, I am sorry that the owner did not take the time to speak to you. I believe he was catching up with an old friend that now lives out of state if I have my days correct. He is usually makes it a point to try to get around to the tables and check on everyone. Let me assure you that we do appreciate your business and we would love it if you gave us a second chance! If not, I completely understand. You only have one chance to make a first impression and again I am sorry yours was a poor one.
“Great Little Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed the night in Summersville after being on the road all day. We aren't fans of chain restaurants and love to support local business owners when possible. After reading several reviews, I was able to convince the rest of my family to eat dinner at Maloney's. This quaint little pub was perfect! Cold beer and hot food! My entire party of 7 people was very satisfied with our drinks, food and the service. The Coliseum sandwich was delicious! They also have great onion rings, wings, and buffalo chicken dip. The only warning I have is to watch out for the police in the area. For such a small town, there were at least five cops just waiting to pull someone over. Kind of disturbing.

“Great restaurant - worth the short trip off the main drag”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We visited Maloney's on May 31st for dinner during our overnight stay in Summersville on our way to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. My husband loved the smoked BBQ ribs, not available till 6 pm because they are smoked on premise all day; best he has ever had. When we travel we make a point to visit local home-grown businesses and this one delivered in every way. Quaint location a few blocks off the main road, easy to find and we had no problem parking. Sports memorabilia is the primary decor. Very casual. Reasonably priced. You can eat indoors or outside on their deck. Fast, attentive service and a menu sure to please anyone.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Summersville, West Virginia
“Solid pub fare in a great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Maloney's Pub is one of those places that can be a bit deceiving at first glance. It is more or less advertised as a sports pub, but that is only scratching the surface.

The general manager/head chef has managed several highly successful restaurants in the area and is constantly devising new dishes that consistently win awards at local competitions. They regularly hold special events on the large, covered back deck, and often in fair weather they will feature local musical acts on the deck as well.

Inside the pub is decorated in a sports theme, featuring a lot of memorabilia from West Virginia University - it's also not at all unusual to see coaches and players from WVU and other colleges showing up for special events at the pub.

The food is standard pub fare such as sandwiches and deep-fried appetizers, but they will also have more specialized dishes available such as white bean chicken chili, southwest salad, and a positively amazing cajun burger.

Maloney's does catering for special occasions and their dedicated staff will deliver and set up for such events. They have done the food for our Board of Director meetings at my workplace many times and are always our go-to caterer for events.

The owner of the pub, Aaron Maloney, is close at hand more often than not and is one of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. If you're in his pub more than once or twice he will likely remember your name when you return, and his staff are equally friendly.

Sure, it's technically a pub, and beer and wine are both available (no liquor is sold here). That said, it is a very family-friendly environment and you will always see parents with their young children in tow having lunch or dinner.

All in all, Maloney's Pub is our favorite place to eat in Summersville, and we're always there a couple of times a month. The ever-changing menu and consistently great service keep us coming back.

• Visited March 2014