“Great park! Don't miss the view from the overlook platform. Want to return to hike the trails when it's not raining.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park

Attraction Details
Portsmouth, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Clean park, clean restrooms, fantastic views. Don't miss the turn-off to the park, it is located on a sharp curve in the road.

Visited September 2012

Culloden, WV
4 attraction reviews
“Been Many Times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My parents too me here when I was a kid, I am 63 now and over the years I have taken my kids there several times and now I have grandkids and I will take them there as well. The old house from the battle is still there and open, you can see the bullet dasmmage in the walls

North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
“Great overlooks on the river”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

There are trails with several beautiful views of the river. We also spotted two baby deer while on trail. There is a great playground for the kids, covered shelters, restrooms, soda machines, baseball area, and you can see Patterson House.

Ohio
75 attraction reviews
“Nice, Diverse Park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We camped not too far from the Carnifex Ferry Battlefield, so we stopped by one morning. The park is in nice balance of recreational use with baseball fields and picnic pavilions, and historical value. We spent time on the Patterson trail, which was a peaceful hike through the forest, visiting two overlooks to view the Gauley River.

The Patterson House was open the day we were there. It doesn't take too long to go through and there is a mini gift shop. Signs scattered throughout the park describe events of the battle if the house isn't open. The woman at the Patterson House said that they reenact the battle every other year, including 2011, the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.

Visited July 2011
Charleston, West Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“Nice little State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I've been here several times in my 23 years. My family has a camp in Summersville and we almost always visit Carnifex Ferry when we come up for the weekend. The scenery is nice and the river overlook is very pretty. There's numerous trails to hike, historical sites to visit, and you might even get lucky and see deer or other wildlife. It's really a nice place to bring your family, have a picnic, hike some trails, and let the kids play at the playground!

And on a side note, like the previous reviewer said, there could be some possible paranormal experiences there... I know I've heard a few ghost stories about Carnifex, so who knows what's lurking in the park! :)