“Been Many Times” 4 of 5 stars

Culloden, WV
4 attraction reviews
“Been Many Times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My parents too me here when I was a kid, I am 63 now and over the years I have taken my kids there several times and now I have grandkids and I will take them there as well. The old house from the battle is still there and open, you can see the bullet dasmmage in the walls

North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
“Great overlooks on the river”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

There are trails with several beautiful views of the river. We also spotted two baby deer while on trail. There is a great playground for the kids, covered shelters, restrooms, soda machines, baseball area, and you can see Patterson House.

Ohio
75 attraction reviews
“Nice, Diverse Park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We camped not too far from the Carnifex Ferry Battlefield, so we stopped by one morning. The park is in nice balance of recreational use with baseball fields and picnic pavilions, and historical value. We spent time on the Patterson trail, which was a peaceful hike through the forest, visiting two overlooks to view the Gauley River.

The Patterson House was open the day we were there. It doesn't take too long to go through and there is a mini gift shop. Signs scattered throughout the park describe events of the battle if the house isn't open. The woman at the Patterson House said that they reenact the battle every other year, including 2011, the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.

Visited July 2011
Charleston, West Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“Nice little State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I've been here several times in my 23 years. My family has a camp in Summersville and we almost always visit Carnifex Ferry when we come up for the weekend. The scenery is nice and the river overlook is very pretty. There's numerous trails to hike, historical sites to visit, and you might even get lucky and see deer or other wildlife. It's really a nice place to bring your family, have a picnic, hike some trails, and let the kids play at the playground!

And on a side note, like the previous reviewer said, there could be some possible paranormal experiences there... I know I've heard a few ghost stories about Carnifex, so who knows what's lurking in the park! :)

A TripAdvisor Member
“Looking at the past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2005

Nice little park to walk around. There are limited Civil War artifax at the site. However, There are some nice things to look at. The site can allow your family to have a great day of hiking, picnic, softball and some great overlook views.
We were taken some pictures near a site where some southern soldiers were killed by friendly fire. In one of the pics you can see a ghostly face looking around a tree at us. Could it be one of the soldiers that died there? Come find out for yourself.