You added Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge to your Saves list
Save 10-30%
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Room smelled bad and room was dirty with mold in air conditioner and bathroom. Sheets were stained and towel racks were rusty.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Huntington, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

My family and I stayed here in early April 2010. Upon check in, I though the hotel was very nice and on par with other HI Express properties. The kids enjoyed the pool and they had a nice hot tub in the pool area. However...

My youngest son woke me because he was having a bad dream. I got up to adjust the air conditioner and couldn't see the controls so I turned on the light. Good thing I did because my wife discovered a tiny black bug crawling on the pillow. We pulled back the blankets and discovered several bed bugs crawling all over both beds.

We woke the kids, packed our stuff, and left immediately. I stopped by the front desk to let them know and the night clerk was apologetic but was otherwise unhelpful in getting us another room elsewhere.

Hopefully, they will resolve the issue but I understand these problems are difficult to solve.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

I stayed here for two days and it was great. The staff was wonderful and understanding. My car was in the shop for two days which sucked, but the hotel was just across the street from the dealership. There were so many restaurants near the hotel and shopping I didn't even need my car. The HOTEL WAS CLEAN and everything in the hotel was new. REALLY NICE. Even though it was an express it was more like a marriott property. Everything was nice and new, the rooms look very modern and up to date. The beds were so comfortable and my favorite they DO NOT have bed spreads on their beds, thats GREAT. That always make me uneasy and hotels. I would stay here AGAIN.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

My reason for staying at this hotel was because I have stayed here numerous times before with my husband, but this time it was with my parents. I was having surgery the following morning at Thomas Memorial and lived an hour away so to be sure that I would be there on time at 5AM I figured I had better stay in Charleston.Anyways, I reserved two connection rooms. One for my parents and one for me. Well just a couple days before the stay my Mother was telling me about a show that she had watched called "Dr. Oz" and on this show he was discussing the topic of bed bugs in hotels and how bad they were. Well out of her curiousty she starts looking at my bed in my room and starts examing the matress and low and behold she finds not one or two but a WHOLE HUGE NEST of bed bugs! So I start freaking out and move my things outta that room ASAP in the mean time my Dad starts checking the beds in their room and guess what! They had bed bugs too!!!! And not just a few but nests of them. He even touched one with his finger to make sure that it was def. a bed bug and not just something else and it actually busted on his finger and whoever it had feasted on the nigth before my Dad was now wearing their blood. EEEEKKKKK! My Dad even put one in a napkin and took it to the front desk and it actually jumped outta the napkin and onto the desk and the lady seemed to be used to it or something. No reaction at all from her. She offered us a diffrent room and we had to take it because it was already by this time 2:30 in the AM and I had to be at the hospital at 5AM so we seen no use in trying to find another hotel. Needless to say once we got to this other room we checked it out and didn't see anything, but none of us got any sleep. We basically went to this other room just to get ready to leave. So please at all cost AVOID this hotel. And something else interesting while we were there the whole 2nd floor was CLOSED due to putting in new furnature. Seems a little fishy to me I say it was to try and get rid of their infestation of BED BUGS!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
East Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Trying to save my co. a bit of money from the Embassy Suites' rate of $179 plus parking plus internet for a not very plush property, we researched other more moderate hotels. Several folks had given this property a decent rating, unlike the HI Express downtown, so since it had an indoor pool, free internet and parking, we decided to try it. Mistake. The pool was closed, but to my kids' dismay. The public areas were in a state of renovation, or at least someon had starting ripping wallpaper down- never saw any workers while we were there. Would have been nice if this info had been disclosed on their Web Site. When we checked into our "king suite"- it was just a standard room with a mini fridge, micro and extra sink. The "closet" was just an old bar behind the entry door. The b/room had a nice jacuzzi tub, but cig burns on the counter are such a turn off. The carpet was dirty upon arrival, we assume from the renovation, but who knows for sure. We called down to see if they had any bigger rooms and they advised we were in the most spacious model. One (hard) bed, one horrible fold out couch (ugly and a 1 inch thick mattress- and had to go down to front desk to retrieve sheets/blankets) and a cheesey desk. No pics on walls. We scoured the area for a back up location for Night Two, but the area was sold out. What is it with Charleston? Seems to be so hard to get a room and the two big dogs in town-Marriott and E. Suites charge BIg City prices- for what exactly? This town rolls up after 5 pm. The HI breakfast bar was small and not very inviting. Even their famed cinammon roles were hard as if nuked a few too many times. Coffee was weak. The front desk gals were nice and the internet worked. Those were the only high points I could find. We have heard good things about the Residence Inn; maybe we will try them next time biz takes me to Chlston. I'll be steering clear of this place, that is for sure.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
west virgina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

The hotel is only 2 min. away from charleston, very nice location , a lot of shopping and things to do with the kids. very nice staff and very nice rooms

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

my car broke down and i was brought here by the tow truck driver. the place is amazing. the staff was so friendly and when i told them i was carless, they gave me delivery numbers, i didn't need them because there were like 15 restaurants in the plaza that i could walk to, and lots of shopping (a girls best friend). the room was sooooo clean, and i am super picky. the breakfast was great they have yogurt and fruit. LOVE. they offered me an extended check out at no charge, because my car was not ready. I would come back to charleston just to stay at this hotel. LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston / Southridge? Share your experiences!