“We're glad we were too tired to make it to the village!” 5 of 5 stars

+1 304-572-2990
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
South Mountain Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 25 Restaurants in Snowshoe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The South Mountain Grille is the place for fine dining in the West Virginia Highlands. A small, independently owned eatery, the South Mountain Grille offers exciting New American Cuisine in a casual and relaxing atmosphere. The owners, Chef and staff are dedicated to providing an outstanding dining and beverage experience in the rugged environment of Snowshoe Mountain. The Grille offers something for everyone from light bites to delicious entrees. Our eclectic menu is regionally inspired and locally sourced, in season. Chef Kim and the entire South Mountain Grille staff welcome the opportunity to provide you, your family and guests with a memorable dining experience. The Grille is open for Dinner and Sunday Brunch, hours vary by season. Please check back for our schedule, specials and events. Whether you're looking for apres ski, a great meal, or a late night cocktail, the South Mountain Grille is the place for a little West Virginia hospitality, gracious service, and excellent cuisine.
Brentwood, Tennessee
“We're glad we were too tired to make it to the village!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

After a snowy trip up the mountain and a 5:00 p.m. check-in, we were ready for some dinner but too tired to cook in our condo or figure out the shuttles, so we made our way to the South Mountain Grille in our resort. We almost didn't dine here because the door to the restaurant from the resort was locked, but when we went outside to find the shuttle, the exterior entry was open. We were seated immediately.

The restaurant is lovely. We were seated next to a window that was partially covered by a snowdrift -- we had fantastic snow for the last week in March. I ordered a filet, my husband the duck and my son a pizza. Although they had run out of pepperoni (running out of things was a theme to this last bit of their season all over the resort), they made him a bacon pizza that he loved.

My husband and I loved our dishes as well. I will say that the chef here errs on the side of rare, so keep that in mind. Even though they were slightly undercooked for our tastes, they were so great we didn't want to send them back and risk getting them overdone, which is worse!

Unfortunately, they were out of all but high-end cabernets, but our server recommended a great Malbec as a substitute.

Overall, service, atmosphere and food were all great and a welcome relief from our snowy trip up the steep mountain roads!

• Visited March 2013

NC
“Eh. Better when it was Ember”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We've been to this restaurant before when it was named Ember. I'm not sure much has changed except the name. Menu seems similar. Our food at Ember was really good.
Our food at south american grill was ok but not worth the inflated prices.
first off, understand all of your dining options at snowshoe range from ok to eh to underwhelming.
our favorite place continues to be foxfire grille. not fancy but consistently ok.
At south american grill, my scallop appetizer was overcooked, as was my shrimp entree. Shocking, that no one can cook seafood in WV! i only ordered scallops b/c last time at Ember, they were great.
Food wasn't awful, just so so. However, given the prices are 3X higher than anywhere else at snowshoe, i'm not sure we'll be back. If i can get mediocre food for $10 that i can walk to, or mediocre food for $30 that requires me to take a bus or drive, well. Not much of a contest.

So, the food didn't suck. it just was overcooked and overpriced.
Our service was pretty slow too, which WAS consistent with last time. given the restaurant is 2/3 empty on any given night that we've been, not sure why we don't get better service! we do go thru the week also, i expect weekends are a different story.

Dessert options very good. if you want high end dessert options, this is your place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“What a Pleasant Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is the "high-end" restaurant at Snowshoe and in just a few years has already changed names. Knowing only those two things, we went with friends and had a fantastic dinner. It's near the end of ski-season and it was Wednesday night, so our 8pm reservation wasn't a problem at all. Our server, Freddie, was helpful, efficient and really funny - he tolerated our group very well.

We enjoyed appetizers of Calamari (crispy with a nice sauce) and Tuscan Flat Bread (YUM - loaded with veggies). For main courses we had Duck Breast (excellent - I can attest), Lamb (also excellent I'm told) and Pork Chops (FABULOUS - how did they get that HUGE chop so tender?).

We also ordered take-out for the grown children who stayed at the condo with the baby. We took them the Grilled Caesar Salad and (again) - the Pork Chop. They loved it all!

It was surprising to find a restaurant at Snowshoe that offers fine dining with reasonable prices and excellent service. We'll definitely go back next visit. It is a little out of the way if you're not staying at Soaring Eagle Lodge. In the snow, and dark, and wind - it was definitely driving material for us. But Wow - it was certainly worth the effort!

FL GAL in NC
“Yummy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I second the recommendation to make reservations, we couldn't get in the first night of our stay. We enjoyed really enjoyed our dinner---a bit on the pricey side, but to be expected on the mountain. First course was a delicious soup--spicy andoiulle and mushroom and a special. I had a stirfry/wok dish which I really liked---my husband said it was too salty, but I like my dishes on the salty side. He had the quail and scallops which he enjoyed, but wanted more scallops and less polenta. I don't recommend the fried ice cream sandwich dessert---my son didn't even like it. Our waiter, Fred was great.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina
“Make reservations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is one of the only restaurants in Snowshoe that accepts reservations so a real treat! We were there on President's Day weekend and the resort was super busy. It was wonderful not to have to wait in line for a table. The service was excellent. We had the fish and risotto and it was SO good. Our son had the ribs and loved them as well. Took 1/2 home and warmed them up the next day. Highly recommend!