“Not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Lodge Condos

Save Saved
You added Mountain Lodge Condos to your Saves list
Mountain Lodge Condos
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   10 Snowshoe Dr, Snowshoe Resort, Snowshoe, WV 26209   |
Louisville
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for three nights during late February 2013. The condo itself was dated but sufficiently furnished with cheap repairs in attempt to cover years of deterioration. The walls and ceilings are paper thin, thus leading to lack of sleep considering we heard every single noise made in our area.

The lodge was also very dated and not properly maintained. The rugs located at the entrances were completely soaked during our entire stay and did not appear to be replaced with dry, clean ones at any point. The lodge smelled like a gym locker room from what I presume to be mildew from years of wet carpet that hasn’t been replaced or properly cleaned; luckily the smell was not present in our room. The lodge advertises free WiFi, but from our experience the router has an insufficient limit number of users and when you were able to contact the speed was very lacking. The staff at the front desk seemed annoyed when you had a inquiry or request. The room cleaning service knocked on our door like a SWAT team at 8-8:30am both mornings and had an attitude when we asked why they came around prior to the lifts opening.

This was our 3rd trip to Snowshoe, which we absolutely love but this will be the last time we stay at the Mountain Lodge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a big complex so the unit you stay will play a big role for your ski-in/ski-out experience. Luckily, we're staying at a unit right next to the stair exit albeit on the third floor. Walking down 2 flights of stair is not that bad but being right to the exit helps significantly otherwise you have to walk a long hallway carrying your ski gear. This condo is located in a great location. It's right next to the ballhooter lift which is the main quad lift at snowshoe. From your condo/ballhooter lift, you can ski down to any lift you want to compared to other ski-in/ski-out condos where you might be able to only ski down to certain lifts. The decor is slight dated 80's era but it sufficed for our needs and our stay - decent-sized bedroom, kitchen, bathroom. Lots of ski/coat racks which is very helpful. Everything in the unit works fine. There's a daily towel service. There's a 24 hr front desk which is a big plus sine we didn't check in until midnight the day we arrived. Not all snowshoe accommodation has 24 hour front desk. The main pool house is across from the condo. The main village market and starbucks is a few minutes away. Overall, this is an affordable, great ski-in/ski-out accomodation (depending on the unit you are staying), very close to the village markets. We had a great time and would return again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very happy to have a ski in - ski out for us and our three kids to be able to ski. The place is kid-friendly, which is a plus.

We rented a 1 bedroom condo which was very small. Honestly I barely slept due to the heating and cooling issues and my husband and son were in the bedroom next to the hallway with all the noise. (see earlier reviews where this has been described in detail.) If you leave the windows closed it is stifling in there, leave the window open and of course it's freezing. There's no in between.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Here it is in a nutshell. The bedrooms have windows next to the bed which overlook the hallway. In other words, anyone in the hallway has a very good chance of seeing you in bed! We ended up hanging the bedspread over the window to ensure no one could see in. Then of course, if anyone is walking down the hallway speaking above a whisper, you hear it loud and clear in the room. NEVER SLEPT MORE THAN 3 HOURS a night!

Lets talk about the heat... With the heat off, it was never less than 80 in the room. Only way to cool off was open a window. It was 17 degrees outside so you open the window for 5 minutes to cool the place down, then close it. 30 minutes later it is 80 degrees in the room again. This was another reason I could not sleep. Yes, the location is excellent, but so are all the other condos which are within 2 minutes walking distance.

So, Mountain Lodge is the oldest worn-out dump on the Mountain, yet the price for a room is the same as a new, nice, modern complex right next door. The only reason for you to ever utter the words "Mountain Lodge" is to refer your worst enemy there!

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cocoa Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The number one reason why there is no Internet. It is throttled to only 75 users to save money! Not because you're in a National Radio Quiet Zone! It works in every other complex. This complex is well situated on the mountain but there is so much wrong with the entire resort. Everything is overpriced, the place is impossible to get to, the staff is underpaid and not happy to be there and the main reservation office will not resolve issues with your room. Last dime mountain west will ever get from me.

• Stayed December 2012
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed at ML for 2 years. The units are very much worn out. Pilling off wall paper, dingy wall paper, dim lights... There is virtually no insulation what so ever. The heat rises up, so the 3rd floor units are hot, while the 1st floors are cold. Haven't had one comfortable sleep night. Yeah, all the basics are there, but all the units need to be thoroughly renovated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
eastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Mountain Lodge in December 2012 for some early season snowboarding. Since I was by myself, I just wanted basic accommodations with ski-in ski out, and that's what I got with ML. The snow came to my back window, and the Ballhooter lift was about 40 meters from by back window, so I was very happy with the location. It took me about one minute to walk from my room to the snow, and would have taken me 5 seconds if I had gone out the back door. I could also walk to the village for dinner and to the small general store for coffee (which was not included with the room). Once I arrived and parked my truck, I didn't drive it again until I left.

My room was basic. The bathroom is very small. The layout of the ML is like a college dorm, with the doors facing inwards. The bedroom is closest to the inner area, and it did not feel very private, especially with the blinds which had small holes in them. The kitchen was small, but adequate for me and allowed me to have a simple breakfast and lunch each day. There was a fold-out sofa in the combined kitchen-dining room-living room, but I think fitting four people in there would be a challenge unless it was a family with two smaller kids, and even then it would be pretty cramped since there is no storage room or extra space. The decor in my place was dated, probably back to when the lodge was originally build in the 80s, but this will vary with each unit. The rest of the lodge was also a bit dated, but not too bad. One complaint I did have was the so-called fitness area was three pieces of equipment (including a treadmill) out in one of the common areas -- who wants to exercise in a lobby? I think they could make a nicer fitness room. I was told there were no other options in the village. Also, the internet was a bit slow, and every time I used it, I would have to accept the terms and conditions all over again; not a big deal, but most hotels at least give you 24 hours at a time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mountain Lodge Condos? Share your experiences!