“Great ski in ski out, but problems with noise and heating/cooling” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Lodge Condos

Save Saved
You added Mountain Lodge Condos to your Saves list
Mountain Lodge Condos
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   10 Snowshoe Dr, Snowshoe Resort, Snowshoe, WV 26209   |
Charlotte NC
“Great ski in ski out, but problems with noise and heating/cooling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very happy to have a ski in - ski out for us and our three kids to be able to ski. The place is kid-friendly, which is a plus.

We rented a 1 bedroom condo which was very small. Honestly I barely slept due to the heating and cooling issues and my husband and son were in the bedroom next to the hallway with all the noise. (see earlier reviews where this has been described in detail.) If you leave the windows closed it is stifling in there, leave the window open and of course it's freezing. There's no in between.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Here it is in a nutshell. The bedrooms have windows next to the bed which overlook the hallway. In other words, anyone in the hallway has a very good chance of seeing you in bed! We ended up hanging the bedspread over the window to ensure no one could see in. Then of course, if anyone is walking down the hallway speaking above a whisper, you hear it loud and clear in the room. NEVER SLEPT MORE THAN 3 HOURS a night!

Lets talk about the heat... With the heat off, it was never less than 80 in the room. Only way to cool off was open a window. It was 17 degrees outside so you open the window for 5 minutes to cool the place down, then close it. 30 minutes later it is 80 degrees in the room again. This was another reason I could not sleep. Yes, the location is excellent, but so are all the other condos which are within 2 minutes walking distance.

So, Mountain Lodge is the oldest worn-out dump on the Mountain, yet the price for a room is the same as a new, nice, modern complex right next door. The only reason for you to ever utter the words "Mountain Lodge" is to refer your worst enemy there!

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cocoa Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The number one reason why there is no Internet. It is throttled to only 75 users to save money! Not because you're in a National Radio Quiet Zone! It works in every other complex. This complex is well situated on the mountain but there is so much wrong with the entire resort. Everything is overpriced, the place is impossible to get to, the staff is underpaid and not happy to be there and the main reservation office will not resolve issues with your room. Last dime mountain west will ever get from me.

• Stayed December 2012
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed at ML for 2 years. The units are very much worn out. Pilling off wall paper, dingy wall paper, dim lights... There is virtually no insulation what so ever. The heat rises up, so the 3rd floor units are hot, while the 1st floors are cold. Haven't had one comfortable sleep night. Yeah, all the basics are there, but all the units need to be thoroughly renovated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
eastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Mountain Lodge in December 2012 for some early season snowboarding. Since I was by myself, I just wanted basic accommodations with ski-in ski out, and that's what I got with ML. The snow came to my back window, and the Ballhooter lift was about 40 meters from by back window, so I was very happy with the location. It took me about one minute to walk from my room to the snow, and would have taken me 5 seconds if I had gone out the back door. I could also walk to the village for dinner and to the small general store for coffee (which was not included with the room). Once I arrived and parked my truck, I didn't drive it again until I left.

My room was basic. The bathroom is very small. The layout of the ML is like a college dorm, with the doors facing inwards. The bedroom is closest to the inner area, and it did not feel very private, especially with the blinds which had small holes in them. The kitchen was small, but adequate for me and allowed me to have a simple breakfast and lunch each day. There was a fold-out sofa in the combined kitchen-dining room-living room, but I think fitting four people in there would be a challenge unless it was a family with two smaller kids, and even then it would be pretty cramped since there is no storage room or extra space. The decor in my place was dated, probably back to when the lodge was originally build in the 80s, but this will vary with each unit. The rest of the lodge was also a bit dated, but not too bad. One complaint I did have was the so-called fitness area was three pieces of equipment (including a treadmill) out in one of the common areas -- who wants to exercise in a lobby? I think they could make a nicer fitness room. I was told there were no other options in the village. Also, the internet was a bit slow, and every time I used it, I would have to accept the terms and conditions all over again; not a big deal, but most hotels at least give you 24 hours at a time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Glen Allen, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Mountain Lodge in late September, like all of Snowshoe, is practically deserted. There were a maximum of 10 cars in the parking lot. With so few guests there was no-one on the front desk, the lobby was cold, dark and cheerless and the restaurant was closed. However, that said the location is excellent. A short walk brings you to the pool, the small grocery store and the Village whilst the view from the mountain and lake facing units is stunning. One strange aspect of the units is that the bedroom window faces the hallway which is open to the atrium. This means keeping the shades closed at all times, and we can imagine the noise during the height of the season as guests on all floors make their way to their rooms. Said hallways are rather drab, but the top floor condo we rented from the owner for a very reasonbable price could not have been more bright, cheerful and well appointed. The few staff we met were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Consider renting from owner. One bedroom, top floor, HomeAway.com, ID # 337530 is highly recommende...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We enjoyed our stay in a mountain lodge unit at Snowshoe. Some other commenters described this unit as a “college dorm” and I wouldn’t be that harsh, but I can relate to the open lodgey feel and can sympathize with the description. The layout is setup in a big loop with the rooms around the rim of the building. The center of the bldg includes a gaming area in one part and an indoor rock waterfall in one area. From the pictures it looks newer than it really is - again, you can tell that its been there for a long time. There is a laundry room with coin operated machines, some vending machines, the lobby has a fireplace though I didn't see it going while we were there. The greatest benefit of these units is the location. From one area of the bldg you can ski right onto the slopes. These units are probably the cheapest units you’ll be able to find up on the mountain, with top of the world units probably coming in second for a comparable price range. They are definitely dated and worn, but from what I observed are well maintained and clean. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit. Upon entering the unit, there was an area to hang up our ski/snowboard equipment which was nice. The bedroom had a vanity/sitting area and closet. The bathroom was positioned in the middle of the unit for easy access to our guest that stayed on the pull out. The living room area was small, but big enough for the pull out bed and there’s a small mini kitchen with bar. It’s a very snug area and the low ceiling doesn’t help, but it suited us just fine. There was also a small balcony. If we vacationed there again for a longer stay, I’d try for a more updated unit but if it was my only option I’d choose it in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mountain Lodge Condos? Share your experiences!