“Repeat stay, still the best value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Expedition Station

Save Saved
You added Expedition Station to your Saves list
Expedition Station
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Snowshoe Drive, Snowshoe Mountain Resort, Snowshoe, WV   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Repeat stay, still the best value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our 2nd stay at Expedition Station and from a couple people who head to Snowshoe strictly for snow, this place is probably the best value. It's clean, and as said in other reviews - directly on the slope. Stayed in several other private home rentals, and the hike back to the house in boots is a workout in itself sometimes. Everything you need - slopes, food, bus stop, store, sales office is steps away. Wouldn't worry too much about the outdoor noise for rooms facing the slopes - if it's not the outdoor noise, you will definetly hear everyone stomping thru the hallways in their skiboots. The food is not that bad either - the Pizza place and BBQ place within the village are leaps and bounds better than greasy dry chicken fingers you'd normally find at ski resorts. If you desire the gorgeous lobby with hearth, hottubs, internet surfing, hotel staff running about, and all the other amenities (that come with cost)... there are plenty of those at Snowshoe. If you're on a college budget and don't mind sleeping on a bed from the 80s, they have that too... Expedition Station is somewhere in the middle :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Haven't been back to Snowshoe in over 20 years, didn't know what to expect. I will review this condo building here but I will do another review of several since we had friends at almost each building in the Village.
Expedition Station - Didn't know what to expect since there were not really many pictures online of this place. But, the few that I found were right-on. Very nice, modern furniture, size of a hotel room so it was tight for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. No room to entertain for a few happy hour drinks so we always had to meet friends at Senecca instead.

As stated in the other reviews the bed is low, but not box spring on the floor low, its the European model type, encased in a box, it was very comfortable. The pull out was a regular pull out, not comfy but works. Flat screen was great, dresser was clean and new looking, kitchenette was perfect as I don't cook on vaca, full microwave, half refrigerator, no freezer, sink, garbage disposal, 2 full burners, Coffee maker, Tea kettle, toaster and kitchen utensils, plates, cups and pans.

The bathroom was modern tile on the floor, long glass shelve to hold toileties, large mirrow, very clean shower no mold or mildew, hair dryer, wide shower curtain, roomy. The only complaint, the towels were fluffy white but they shed so white towel dust was everywhere. No fan in bathroom, might want to bring one as it gets very steamy.

We had a slopeside room, view was awesome, could see 3 lifts and people everywhere on the slopes learning how to ski. I was originally worried about slopeslide as I read the reviews about the noise from slow blowers. But, we were smack in the middle of the building, 314, and I noticed there were 2 snowblowers on either side of the building so we did not hear them much. I think I woke up 2 times briefly from it in 4 days, my kids and hubby heard nothing, We did hear and see the snow mobiles leaving and returning but we would race to the window to watch them:) The windows were large and very well sealed. We opened one to get fresh air.

The heat/ac worked great and I used both, just have to turn it onto Auto to turn it off for awhile as it is the sould of loud forced air, but the system is very good.

Equipment lockers are located on the 1st floor, need a key. There is a door from the inside and one from the outside. So we would leave our skis/poles and walke down in our boots, get our gear and go right out the outside door and ski away. Some people left their boots in the locker but I like my boots warm in the room to put on.

There is no lobby, just an elevator room when you first walk in. 1st floor has a 2 couch and flat screen tv right in front of the elevators but I never saw anyone hang out there.

Ice machines worked great. But ran out one day when we lost power for 5 hours.

I will be writing a review on the actual Snowshoe resort where I list Allegany Springs, Rimfire and Senecca as well as restaurants etc...

I would recommend staying here as it was modern and comfortable compared to all of the other buildings had very dated great grandma furniture. It is also very central to everything.

Cons:
Housekeeping: was friendly but not that great, they only change towles and pick up trash. I had to call them to reclean the bathroom when we got there as it had pee stains on the toilet seat and had them revacuum as there were debri and crumbs everywhere. The turn around time for them is quick so I think they bypass alot of hygene cleaning. Luckily I brought antibacterial wipes and I wiped all of the door knobs and handles down, which made me feel alot better:) There also 2 stains on the carpet which should have been shampooed but housekeeping said there was not dry time since it was a back to back room, meaning- one family checking out / another family checking in.

Power: The entire mountain lost power for 5 hours, then the backup generators lost power, so we did have to walk up and down the stairs and thank goodness we had our flashlights on our Iphones.

Cell/Internet Service: Forget it, get over it, you will be disconnected, not even Starbucks has it:( After day 2 we all got used to it and just dealt with it, meet here, meet there etc etc. Option 1 to make calls, get a calling card for 5 bucks 2 hours and use any phone for free. Option 2 there is none. Every phone at every building is free to use to call any room for free, each room has a phone number. Tip: I did get wifi here and there and each time my phone downloaded all emails etc I was also able to get online at certain spots because I have ATT, my phone would ding when I hit those spots, in front of elevators, downstairs lobby at Rimfire, 3rd floor elevator area at Expedition Sta, Hearth room at Senecca and lucky for me right side of the bed in my room.

Parking: Sucks!! One small lot next to building, always full. 2 huge lots across the street from Senecca, nevery plowed. Unload your stuff in front of buliding with a luggage cart, have two people take the stuff to the room as the carts are wobbly and its very windy there, our cart fell over and our stuff went flying...than one person parks the car and leaves it forever. It will be encased in a coat of ice, bring scrapers and a shovel. If you don't have 4 wheel drive, rent one, you'll be spinnin in the lot and will need help otherwise.

Medication: Bring it, my son ended up with a fever for 24hours, there is no pharmacy, doctor etc, luckily we had advil that he used up:(

Best tip: Bring snow boots, no other shoes work there. Dress attire, is sporty ski wear, no one dressed up for any resturant. This is an upside down moutain resort, everything is on top of mountail so very windy, bring lots of Hats/Gloves/2nd coat in case your first one zipper breaks, my daughters did, we were lucky we had backup.

Check out my Snowshoe review on the resort and other buildings...Have fun!!

Room Tip: Slopeside was worth it! Village side makes the room darker. Rooms are very modern and comfortable. B...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

This is our second year to come to Snowshoe. We are a young family with 2 boys (8&5). We travelled with another family (DD 7&4). We all stayed on a 3 bedroom. This was perfect for us. Adequate room and the location was great. We could see the kids on the mountain and the walk to ski school was very convenient. The rental is right below us and the convenience factor was huge. We brought groceries with us (lesson learned from last year) and the kitchen isn't huge but good for the weekend. We ate most of our simple meals in the condo. The kids were worn out when we would go out and we discovered it was always a long wait for a table and for the food.

Daily Housekeeping and the place was very clean. We noticed that the windows were missing the safety's where it prevents the window from opening all the way. Maintenance was prompt to get back with us. They came upstairs with extras and told us that people tend to take them off. We snapped them back on quite easily.

We would stay here again. Last year we stayed at Alleghany Springs and we wanted to be closer to the ski school and to have another bedroom.

We did have access to the Split Rock Pools but did not take advantage of them this trip. Our condo did have a washer/dryer but no fireplace.

• Stayed January 2012
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

As most have previously noted, Expedition Station is all about location. It is the closest hotel/condo to the central ski area. Most important for those of you interested in lessons and/or with small children, it is right in front of the ski school drop-off and associated "magic carpet ride." It doesn't get any more convenient than this. Our 5 and 7 year old's had never skiied before, so we had them heavily involved in lessons. Carrying all of their gear, and having them walk with clunky ski shoes, helmets, etc..., would have been a big pain, had it not been for our location. We literally took the elevator down from our room, walked out of the lobby, turned right, walked about 15 yards, and we were at the ski school. This was priceless.
Now, on to our stay. We stayed with 2 other families (so 6 adults, 5 children) in a 3 bedroom place, with beautiful views of the slopes/mountains. Yes, we were a little crammed, but this was our doing (lots of people). We had 1 king, 2 queens, and 3 full bathrooms. We also had a pull-out sofa in the den, a small dining area, and a full kitchen. The "master bedroom" contained the king bed, and had just enough floor space for 2 single inflatable mattresses. We managed fine. Yes, the beds aren't great, but more than adequate. Important points: no box springs, low to the ground, ours didn't have a mattress pad, and our sheet wasn't fitted and not really big enough to cover the bare mattress (so when you turned over in the middle of the night, you may find yourself lying on bare mattress). But everyone, every night, slept very well -- hard not to when you are so tired from the fantastic skiing.
The kitchen was fine, with a fridge that made ice, a full over, a microwave, a sink, and a dishwasher. TV was a flat screen, and we could tune into the major networks, plus things like CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, and a I think even Showtime. All of the bedrooms had TVs too.
So the actual room was acceptable, not fantastic. But what was really special about the place was location. We could ski literally right out of our first floor ski locker, and our kids were so close to the ski school. And we were in the Village, close to shops, restaurants, and Starbucks (great for my wife!). Parking was not confusing, as others have noted. There was a small parking lot right next to hotel (which fronted the ski school); this was full, as the front desk person had warned us. So they clearly told us to park across the street, in a lot with a gate (she gave us the pass that would open the gate). Instructions on how to get to our hotel and park were very clear, so I found that check-in was seamless and helpful.
One last thing: our family was essentially first-time skiiers, and particularly our 5 and 7 year old girls had never been on skis before. Our ski school experience was fantastic! The teachers were, across the board, fantastic. The kids loved each of their instructors (mostly young guys in their early to mid 20's, it seemed), and left ski school each day begging for more. Both girls finished our 4 day vacation pretty much able to ski, and more importantly, begging to go back to Snowshoe. We didn't predict (but had certainly hoped) that it would go this well. I have the Snowshoe ski school to thank for this, and our proximity to it in Expedition Station ultimately defined our vacation experience. We will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: we loved our view of the skiing, so you might request slopeside views (we had not). the other side l...
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

The location was great and the view was terrific, but the room was tiny and the bed was the most back-breaking experience I've ever encountered. The dining in the village was not very good considering how pricey it was. The skiing experience, however, was thoroughly enjoyable considering we were first-timers.

Sterling, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

You can't beat the location of this property. It was perfect for getting around the slopes, the kids' ski school, and the village. Not convenient for anything beyond Allegheny Springs. When we first got there, it was amazing, however, it soon turned down hill. We were on slop side. It's amazing to see what is going on around you. Being on that side, though, you can hear every little noise of the machines maintaining the slopes, the snow mobile tours at night and the drunk idiots who think skiing is fun drunk and in the dark. We also had the kids with us so we used the pull out couch...it takes up the entire space the room had. Had to keep it folded up while not in use. The kitchenette was pretty worthless. The room smelled like urine when the air freshener wore off. The windows opened without a screen thanks to a previous renter, which was cool for us adults but not for kids. (It was fun to sit in window and watch my family ski by when I was done with my skiing). The ski lockers were nice to have but they didn't hold much once you get ski boots in there. It's hard to maneuver around in the locker room. Dryers on the first floor were only .75c which was nice. We will stay there again for the convenience but now we know what to expect.

Room Tip: Slope side is great for the view but bring ear plugs for night.
eastern US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights in December 2011. The best thing about Expedition Station is location, which is at the central area of the resort, close to the schools and lifts, and close the village shops and restaurants.

On to the negatives. The room was quite small. Even with two people, we felt cramped. As others have noted, the bed is a bad joke. It was low and just a mattress, and reminds me of the futon I slept on when I was in college, not some upscale ski resort. Speaking of the bed -- the corners of the frames are dangerous. There is a metal cap on the corners, and these caps on our bed were falling off, and I stubbed my toe on them twice while walking through the crowded room. It seemed like they were going for the Scandinavian look inside the room, but it wasn't very appealing to us. I'm not sure what the daily service provided, since they didn't always make the bed and never gave us more coffee. The kitchenette is functional, but very small, and there is no dishwasher, so you have to wash your dishes by hand.

You have to store your skis and snowboards in the locker room on the first floor. This wasn't explained very well to me at check in (just a passing mention of a combination, and not that we were required to store our stuff there or where the lockers were located). When we got to Expedition Station, it took me a long time to find the lockers. The locker room is tiny and crammed with lockers for everyone in the building, and therefore it would get crowded if there were more than a few people there. There is only one small bench to sit on. The lock is a combination lock, so you have to memorize the combination or take the paper with you.

The staff at the resort was hit or miss, mostly miss. Parking is a big problem there, and the directions they provided at check in were confusing (and wrong) and required a follow-up call to figure out where I was supposed to park (across the street, since the lot for the building was completely full). Overall, we found the staff to be unresponsive and indifferent.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Expedition Station? Share your experiences!