“A Unigue Adventure” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Wells Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sistersville
The Wells Inn
You added The Wells Inn to your Saves list
316 Charles Street, Sistersville, WV 26175   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Sistersville B&B and Inns
Geauga County, Ohio
“A Unigue Adventure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our first time here, having to attend a funeral. All the rooms at hotels in closeby cities booked with construction workers installing pipelines. Found the Wells Inn by accident and it was near the funeral home. Signs said they are in process of remodeling and rooms were available. Took a room, sight unseen, and found it a conglomeration of old, very old and remnants of a room that was remodeled maybe 20-25 years ago.

THE BAD NEWS: A whirlpool tub whose jets didn't work and tub took half a day to drain. Wall tile broken and missing, wall paper torn, hanging & stained. No heat in room, except for a small auxillary broken electric heater. No carpet only old wood floors. Nowhere to hang clothes except a hook on bathroom door. A mixture of flea market castaway furniture in the room. No drapes only pull down paper shades. Noise level throughout the building high for lack of carpeting everywhere and thin walls. No one told us that slow moving trains travel through town at all hours of the night. Our first train encounter was at exactly 11 PM and the horns start to sound when they enter the town and continue at every interection till they leave town. We counted over 25 blasts of the air horns, some long and some short blasts and continue for about 10-15 minutes. The tracks are about 500 ft from the hotel. There were two more trains before morning.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS: The staff was wonderfull! They fixed our TV, which wasn't working. They turned on the boilers, for a while, to help warm our room. They were very friendly and a joy to talk to. My wife and I have traveled alot. Both of us for business and for pleasure. This was not one the worst places we have stayed at and, in fact, we would not hesitate to return. The room was clean. Our bed was comfortable and, with the exception of the trains, we had a good night's sleep. Sure the place lacks many comforts and services, but the price of the room was unbelievably low AND included a complete breakfast from their restaurant menu, cooked to order. Breakfast was outstanding and the service second to none. This hotel was built in 1894 (I believe) and on the Register of Historic Places. What an honor to stay at a hotel with this kind of history...to enjoy the 12 foot ceilings, old elevator, explore the bar in the basement, imagine the granduer of events held in the ballroom. The new owners are working hard to bring back that old ombiance and must be given credit for the time, the cost and the patience needed to do the job. In the meantime, if you need a place to stay, don't hesitate to stay at the Wells Inn for a lifetime memory of a truly unique experience.

Room Tip: Try for a "newly" remodeled room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lock Haven, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here almost a week. Renovations still underway. First: Owners and staff...you will not find a more hospitable and friendly owner and staff no matter where you go (in my opinion). Charles and his sister Anne went out of their way to help at every turn...you wont find that at a major chain. Hotel is old...hardwood floors thoughout, my room was clean, wallpaper mismatched, but they are making daily progress on the upgrade. Free, real breakfast...not bagels and coffee. This place will be a real gem when they are finished upgrading,,,,and you can help. Beds are super comfy and I slept well on the first night. I travel a lot, not what I am used too, but a real break from the antiseptic chain hotels...plus its on the National Historic Register. Glad I can play some small part in preserving this piece of Americana. Hats off to Charles, his wife and sister, and their staff.......yeah, don't try to sleep next to a room with a barking dog...other than that...this is an owner who cares and is restoring a classic one day at a time. Yes, I would stay here again, and no..phone in room didn't work but cell reception is perfect and wifi is good on a secured network. Overall, a 3 out of 5 for now...soon to be 5 out of 5 if I read my tea leafs correctly. Also, no air conditioning in rooms right now, but close to river so there was a nice breeze and little to no noise at night. Dwight from PA

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Weirton, West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed at The Wells Inn twice now. The first time was a few years ago, shortly after I was married (before the new owner took over). Although the rooms did not look like what they do in the pictures online (mismatched furniture -- modern/older), my stay was moderately comfortable. At the time, I WILL say that I wasn't too overly enthused about my experience; nothing seemed super clean in my opinion, it needed major renovations, and when I took a shower the water temp. kept changes from hot to freezing (OVER and OVER again).

But I came back a few weeks ago, and have since decided that I will definately not be visiting The Wells Inn a third time. Again, the place still needs MAJOR renovations. The water temp. still changes from hot to freezing every 60 seconds. The rooms still create a visual dissonance in the mismatched furniture. But it was more than that.

The hallways smell like old, stale grease (which I do not remember from my last stay). Upon entering our room, I discovered that our phone did not work, and the rooms were not very clean. Patches of the wallpaper were torn off (in the room and in the hallway), and in the bathroom there was an oddly placed and suspicious looking hole in the wall near the ceiling. When I went to find vending machines, they were out of service. And then, upon trying to fall asleep (with two small children), I discovered that I would NOT be sleeping because 1.) there was a dog somewhere on the same floor that barked off and on throughout the night and 2.) the walls were so thin I could literally hear my neighbors conversation until 3 in the morning. Needless to say, my children did not sleep. Finally, upon leaving in the morning, we discovered that they did not begin serving breakfast until 8am, and we were leaving before then due to our travel plans.

After having a shoddy shower, little sleep, and no breakfast, I was not a happy guest.

Room Tip: Apparently dogs are allowed in the hotel, so absolutely ask to get a room that is not next door to t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sistersville hotels

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Every year, my sisters and I sneak away for a few days of catch-up. This year the planning sister thought Sistersville would be the perfect spot for us, and she was right. Knowing ahead of time that the hotel was being restored, I was prepared for a lot of inconvenience. I was pleasantly surprised at how little the ongoing work impacted our stay. Anyone who prefers restoration over renovation would not miss the modernization of chain hotels. The dining room was very pretty, and the food & food service were excellent. We did not know in advance that our visit coincided with the 44th Annual WV Oil & Gas Festival, but it was a very happy coincidence. The hotel was completely full, mostly with a charming family who had been attending this festival since its beginning. However, the entire staff was exceptionally friendly and treated us as if we were the only guests in town. Actually, we walked around Sistersville for three days and encountered only friendly, welcoming people. We are already thinking about heading back for the Sisters Festival - and would hope rooms are available then at Charles Winslow's Wells Inn!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different. If you have any "absolutely must have" features, suggest you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Katy, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I am a businessman who travels at least 300 days a year. I have found a hotel in a small town of Sistersville, WV. I have been her for some time and I am proud to say that the Wells Inn is my home. The owner Charles Winslow, along with his staff of wonderful people, Joe, Patrick, Brea, Liz, Lisa, Mark and many more will show you how hospitality is done. Yes that means I love the hotel and the town!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

"I was riding my bike in excess of 150 miles to Wells Inn from Ohio and needed to cross the Ohio River by ferry at 6pm. A couple of days prior to my stay the owner called me and said the ferry was not running but he would send someone to pick me up....a 30 mile drive. This was the start of a very favorable experence including exceptional service, a very nice room and a wonderful breakfast cooked to order included with the room. By the way since the kitchen was closed by the time I got there the previous day my personal driver made sure I had dinner the night before on the way to the hotel along with an interesting tour of Sisterville. I enjoyed the whole experence." - Terry Bork

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We traveled from out of state and did not know what time check in was. Had a reservation for one night. Was told we could not check in until 5pm, this was at 12:30pm. OK, I can understand but would of liked to get situated before a long night of car races in front of us. Checked in at 12:30 am, tired and in need of a shower and rest. Should of got tipped off for what we were in for by the two guys drinking on the front steps of the hotel. Our room # 217- was nothing as expected. There were no blinds or curtins on most of the windows. The wife insisted we leave, I was so tired and convinced her to stay for the short night. Then the noise from another close by room started around 2am. Tried to call front dest but phone did not work. There was a dog barking in another room around 5am. I am not kidding, thank goodness the light awoke us AGAIN at 6am. We could'nt get out of there fast enough. NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Wells Inn? Share your experiences!