“Though my trip wasn't for pleasure, staying at the Gillum House was pure pleasure.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gillum House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shinnston
Gillum House Bed & Breakfast
You added Gillum House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
35 Walnut St., Shinnston, WV 26431   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Shinnston B&B and Inns
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

For some reason all the hotels up and down the I-79 corridor near Clarksburg were booked - mid week, so the search was on and Google led me to the Gillum House. The accommodations were comfortable and clean, the food was delicious, the hospitality excellent and the conversation delightful. Next time I travel to this area, I won't bother calling all the highway hotels, I'll just make one call to the Gillum House.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cameron, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Gillum House has to be one of the most relaxed and relaxing B&Bs my sister and I have stayed at. Hosts Kathleen and John have forgotten nothing to make their guests comfortable - good beds, a great upstairs bath, lots of books to read (and take) and entertaining conversation. There's plenty of Kathleen's home-cooked food and a huge range of exotic coffees and teas for guests to sample. A bonus for us was that the West Fork River bike trail, which we planned to ride, is just 50 yards from the B&B. In short, the Gillum House was the perfect place for us to stay and I recommend it without hesitation. Thank you Kathleen and John.

• Stayed October 2010
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

My sister and I stayed overnight at the Gillum House B&B while on a drive-and-bike trip. The owners were welcoming and friendly and we'd certainly return happily if we were in the area. The rooms were extremely comfortable, with careful thought given to what tired travelers might need. We especially liked the bathrooms! The breakfast was great, very elegantly presented. All in all, a most satisfactory experience.

• Stayed October 2010
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

The bed was really comfortable, the house was beautiful. Loved the different lighting over the bathroom mirror, walk in shower, and tub. It was spotlessly clean. It's the first place I've stayed that I actually felt comfortable enought to walk in bare feet. The breakfast was way beyond what we expected and there was a ton of extra little things that really made the trip great. I've booked two more times in the next couple months for my travels in this area. The town is very small, but you can walk to pizza, chinese, and there is a DQ and a grocery store, Rite Aid, and some other stuff just a mile or so down the road. Very quiet place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Queenofbudget, Owner at Gillum House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
We at the Gillum House are very fortunate. We get so many wonderful guests such as this couple and those who previously reviewed us. It is quite easy for innkeepers to try to "go the extra" (in my opinion) when we have guests who are pleasant and recognize that we really are wanting them to be comfortable, relaxed, and "at home".

Thank you for visiting West Virginia and our City. We look forward to your return.
Petersburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

You could tell Kathleen enjoyed us as we sniffed many of her teas from her fabulous selection. The one we selected was delicious and interestingly brewed! She was a fun and knowledgable hostess and her husband a great converstionalist and artist. This warm and friendly house made me feel as if I was back at Grandma's house.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

What a wonderful warm and cozy stay we had at Gillum House in Shinnston WV. I highly recommend this B&B as the choice lodging while in Shinnston or surrounding areas. It is just a short drive off I-79.

We stayed at this B&B for a brief overnight as a family, enroute to Pittsburgh, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The hosts Kathleen and John were welcoming and friendly. The beds were ultra comfy, the linens soft and the pillows perfect. The Inn is very quiet, we did not hear any street noise. Both bathrooms are oversized and very spacious with excellent water pressure and ample towels.

Gillum House is on a side street and one block from the library which our girls enjoyed.

Kathleen pulled out all stops with her fantastic "knock your socks off" breakfast. The table was set so beautifully and the coffee outstanding. She had at least 25 types of coffee for us to choose from in green-bean-form then she roasted them to our taste (dark roast) and ground it fresh. She sent us away with a care package of coffee and extra pumpkin chocolate muffins for the road. Beats the heckouta hotel stale nasty bitter coffee - let me tell you!

If you have a chance to visit this area, you will be glad you stayed at Gillum House. There simply is no comparison.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

Staying with Kathleen is like staying with your favorite aunt-- she treats you like a treasured guest where you drink out of heritage glass and use antique plates, but you feel comfortable enough to kick off your shoes at the table.

I'd worked a very long day, and so when Kathleen offered me dinner along with my stay, I was relieved.

I'm a vegetarian, and it's never easy to find a place to eat. It wasn't a problem at Gillum House! Kathleen can cater meals to adhere to any vegan, gluten-free, or low fat diet plan. And it all tastes just fantastic. Breakfast was also terrific, and just as healthy.

While I was in town, I popped on over to the Perpetual Chapel, just to see what it was. What a soothing experience. I also walked around the town. Shinnston is the kind of hometown you don't see often anymore, quiet and peaceful. That night at Gillum House, I slept like a baby.

I arrived at Gillum House harried, and left it mellow and rested. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Been to Gillum House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!