“Nice clean hotel, friendly staff and great sleeping!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Shepherdstown

You added Comfort Inn Shepherdstown to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Shepherdstown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Maddex Square Drive, Intersection of Route 45 & Maddex, Shepherdstown, WV 25443 (Formerly "Days Inn")   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Annandale, Virginia
“Nice clean hotel, friendly staff and great sleeping!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in June 2012 after spending the day in nearby Harper's Ferry. We wanted to go to the Mountain Heritage Arts and Crafts festival the next day which was located near Shepherdstown so we decided to stay near the town. Shepherdstown is a small college town (home to Shepherd College which has about 5,000 students) of less than 2,000 people; it is the oldest town in West Virginia (founded in the late 1780s) and the downtown is quaint--full of shops and a few restaurants and a museum. There are not a lot of hotels near the town and they are all expensive. The Comfort Inn was the least expensive place to stay and the government discount to us was a little over $80. I try to find coupons but could not find one in Roomsaver and similar publications. There is probably a much wider choice of hotels and motels at less cost off of I-81 near Martinsburg which was not far, but we did not want to make that drive as we wanted to be near the crafts festival.

The location of this hotel is a real plus. It is literally minutes from the downtown area. There is a McDonalds and stores within walking distance. We found the hotel to be very clean and the front desk staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is adequate. They had the usual waffles, eggs and sausage, juice, coffee, muffins, instant cereal, etc. enough to get you started for the day. We found the room not overly large but adequate for our needs. It was quite spotless. I am really picky about the comfort of the pillows and mattress I sleep on and this is why I am giving this place five stars. Honestly, the pillows were the most comfortable I have ever laid my head on! I like smaller, firm pillows and they were perfect for me. I liked them so much I asked the front desk clerk if I could buy a couple but she said they were short of pillows and did not have any new ones, but that she would email me the name of the company that sells them. I found the mattress to be very comfortable as well. The hotel was pretty quiet although they do take pets. We saw a lady with two large dogs walking down the hall but did not hear them at night. We could hear a little noise in the room next to ours but I think it was when the people first came in their room. We did not hear them during the night. The flat screen TV gets many channels and had a great picture. The furniture was nice but not exceptional. The A/C, although turned down, made the room pretty cool but it was comfortable enough. But it was a nice, quiet and clean place and we slept well and the location was great, so that's all one can ask of a hotel. The front staff was friendly and if you ask, they will give you a map of the town with the shops and restaurants listed on it. They did have trouble recommending a 'family type' restaurant, there just aren't any in the area open for dinner.

I will say Shepherdstown is a very upscale, "arty" town, quite unlike much of the state. Perhaps this is because it is a college town. The people I saw walking downtown looked very well dressed, and some of the shops offer high quality and pricey goods. The shops are cute and it has some restaurants but most were very pricey and it just seemed a bit pretentious to me. We were looking for a 'down-home' place to have dinner and could not find one. There is a diner in town but it is only open for breakfast and lunch. But for a college town, this place closes up early. Almost all restaurants were closed by 9pm and this was on a Saturday night! We found one pizza grill place open and ate there, looked like a favorite of the college crowd. The food was OK but a very long wait. There is a fabulous bakery in town--awesome baked goods! There is a small museum as well. Great place to get away but if you want less expensive dining, go to Martinsburg along route 81 for a larger selection of restaurants. Shepherdstown seems to favor upscale, expensive foreign restaurants. We have enough of that in DC where I live and we really don't like that kind of food. They need a good family, moderately priced restaurant. But it's a fun place to go, pretty scenery and nice shops and during the day the downtown is bustling with activity.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

When I originally booked this room, I spoke with a personable, helpful woman named Connie. Sadly, she only seems to work during the week, and my boyfriend & I came in for the weekend of 4/21/12. The disinterested front desk clerk, Nate, hardly looked up from his computer screen when he checked us in. I had requested a smoking room with one king sized bed. We were given a non-smoking room with two beds; Nate said that he didn't know what happened, and seemed taken aback when I told him that we would like what we had paid for. I had printed my confirmation with the specifics on our requests, but he told me that was not what his computer said. He said that there was another Comfort Inn not too far away in Martinsburg, WV. He called there & was told that they did have smoking rooms available, but he did not ask them to hold a room for us. I had to ask him for the number & contacted them directly. We were given directions, & away we went. Separate review of that hotel is also posted on this site.

Room Tip: Go to the Comfort Inn in Martinsburg, WV instead. They're only 10 miles away - much larger prope...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Lithia, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on my way to Antietam National Battlefield. The receptionist was polite. The room was very clean. While the price was higher than hotels in the Shenandoah Valley, the prices were even higher in other hotels in Shepherdstown. This appeared to be the best priced for what you get, although I would prefer it to be a little less since the hotel taxes are a little high there. Also, if you are traveling north from Virginia, buy your gasonline there, because the prices are very high in WV and MD. One more thing, I was on the third floor and half the rooms are non-smoking and the others are smoking. You will smell smoke in the hall, but I did not smell smoke in my room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Luray, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Small town ,but Hotel is clean ,close to fast food and shopping center . Close to Shepherd University . Staff was very nice .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Millersville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We got a great rate to stay just a 15 minute drive from the Casino. The breakfast was GREAT!! Rooms were clean and the staff was wonderful. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Environmental control issues began our stay but were taken care of to our satisfaction. The double bed room seemed to have almost enough room for another bed and the sink and bathroom were separated by the entry hall. The location is convenient to Foodlion and CVS about a mile from town. Our room had a microwave and refrigerator.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
germantown, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Everything was as it should be; clean, neat, competent. Very helpful and friendly staff, better-than-average breakfast. But traveling with an 80# dog (albeit well-behaved) is always a concern. In this motel, it's clear that they love dogs. They even have dog treats at the front desk. We'll stop by there again.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms don't have refrigerators. Ours did. If you need one, make sure you ask.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Shepherdstown? Share your experiences!