We enjoyed our weekend stay at the Bavarian Inn very much. In many respects, it did remind us of being in Germany. The inn's architecture, its setting on the river, and even the Rathskeller had a real Bavarian vibe. The service at the hotel and restaurants was almost always excellent, the rooms were well-appointed and very clean, and the meals were great. The brand new infinity pool overlooking the Potomac River was awesome!! There are several attractions nearby, including quaint Shepherdstown, nearby Harpers Ferry, and the Antietam Civil War battlegrounds.
We were very happy with our room in the Augsburg chalet. It was nicely appointed, quiet, and had a lovely view of the river. Everything was very clean. We appreciated the heavy-duty window coverings to keep out the early-morning sun. Our only "complaints" are very minor: the room was just a bit dark, partly due to the low-hanging window-treatment on the balcony door, and partly due to the balcony above us. Also, the bathroom (though perfectly clean) was showing signs of age.
There are several factors that visitors should consider when deciding which type of room to reserve - riverfront views vs. garden views, sensitivity to noise, budget, and room amenities such as fireplaces. There are 4 chalets (Augsburg, Bodensee, Chiemsee, & Danube), each with about 10 rooms. There is also the larger Schwarzwald building, which has another 30 or so rooms.
The rooms in the chalets have riverfront views and are a bit more expensive than the Schwarzwald rooms. We loved being in a chalet looking out over the river, so our preference would be to return to a chalet. Most of the rooms in the Schwarzwald building have "garden views."
The traffic on the bridge crossing the Potomac can be somewhat noisy for some of the chalets. For light sleepers (like me!), the Augsburg chalet was perfect, as it is the furthest from the bridge and very quiet. The Bodensee chalet is next to the Augsburg and is probably also quiet. Light sleepers should definitely avoid the Danube chalet - it is right next to the bridge.
Within the chalets, we would have preferred to be on the top level. Rooms on the top floor are probably brighter (i.e., no balcony above) and would not have overhead noise from other guests. The upper-level rooms may be more expensive, but most have fireplaces and other amenities. We didn't know to specifically request a top-floor room when we booked, but we'll definitely do so next time.
We ate two breakfasts and one dinner at the Bavarian Inn's formal dining room, and one dinner in the Rathskeller. We enjoyed all our meals. The food was great, and the service was mostly great. The main dining room is more formal and has beautiful views of the river, pool, and grounds. The Rathskeller is downstairs and the atmosphere is casual. The menu and prices are virtually identical in the main dining room and the Rathskeller.
Again, we enjoyed our stay at the Bavarian Inn very much, and are looking forward to returning soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River in Historic Shepherdstown West Virginia on 11 acres. The Bavarian Inn is a AAA Four Diamond Award Winning Dining Room and Hotel Accommodations. Most rooms have breathtaking river views from private balconies, whirlpool baths, and gas fireplaces. Fine German and Continental Cuisine. Wine Spectator "Best of Award of Excellence". Casual Dining and Cocktails in the Rathskellar or on the outdoor garden patio. Walking distance to downtown Shepherdstown and great shopping. Golf Packages available with neighboring and private Cress Creek Country Club. Open 365 days per year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Bavarian Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bavarian Hotel Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Inn Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Restaurant