“Lovely bit of Bavaria right between Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bavarian Inn

You added Bavarian Inn to your Saves list
Bavarian Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 Shepherd Grade Rd, Shepherdstown, WV 25443   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
“Lovely bit of Bavaria right between Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just stayed for 3 nights/days at the Bavarian Inn in one of their chalet rooms that included a jacuzzi tub for two, a gas-fired fireplace and plenty of room to stretch out, and also a lovely private balcony with a view down the Potomac River. I had booked an equivalent room, just without the jacuzzi, but they upgraded us when we arrived, what a nice surprise! The first evening we ate in the Bavarian Inn formal dining room, and we both enjoyed our meals, although I must confess my sauerbraten with potato dumpling and red cabbage was not what I've experienced numerous times in Germany itself. The beef was okay, and I enjoyed the red cabbage, but the potato dumpling was unexpectedly dry and lacked enough gravy to make up for the dryness. But they not only had my husband's cognac, they even had icewine for me, my favorite special drink! I couldn't talk my husband into any more visits to the restaurant, so I didn't get to try out many other entrees I had wanted to try... hopefully they'll be another time!

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the Potomac was great, but a bit too close to the bridge, meaning there was roa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Ruth K,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and trip advisor. I am so happy you enjoyed the room and the upgrade to our Luxury style. I will work with the chef on fixing the Sauerbraten, and apologize it was not to your liking. Thank you for this feedback. We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon!
The Asam Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Bel Air MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent one night (Saturday, March 9) at the Bavarian Inn and Lodge. It’s off-season, so we were able to check in when we arrived at 11am. Our room (Danube 42) was a King Luxury Riverfront, nicely furnished, lovely view of the Potomac and a Jacuzzi. The duvet cover had a stain on the top edge and was quickly replaced by housekeeping when we reported it. Unfortunately, we were not able to get the jets to work on the tub. There was a missing knob, but we are still not sure if it was mechanical or human error LOL. We reported it at check out.

The restaurant offered some of the best meals and friendliest service we’ve ever had…bravo to the chef and wait staff! We had a light lunch on Saturday, decadent onion soup and a seafood salad, Chateaubriand for Two for dinner (we highly recommend) and a lovely traditional bacon & egg breakfast. They were setting up the Sunday Brunch as we were leaving the dining room after breakfast. It looked fabulous! We will definitely try it when we come back.

The inn is conveniently located near the C & O Canal Tow Path. We walked from the inn to the trail in just a few minutes and had a nice stroll along the Potomac. Harper’s Ferry is less than 10 miles away. We stopped there on our way home. If you enjoy nature’s beauty, comfortable rooms, awesome food and friendly service, the Bavarian Inn and Lodge is the place for you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your kind remarks with us and trip advisor. We are thrilled your weekend was enjoyable, and I'll happily pass on your comments to our hard working staff, especially the kitchen. I apologize for the duvet and jets, and will certainly take care of that right away. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bavarian Inn soon!
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed on Feb 17th after booking a AAA package offer we purchased that included a river view luxury room, free bottle of wine and free breakfast for two in the morning. Before we purchased the deal thru AAA we read reviews and were a little skeptical of some recent bad ones, but figured we would use the deal to see for ourselves. So glad we did as we were not disappointed. In fact we fully enjoyed everything about our stay. Since we were staying on a Sunday night before a federal holiday, we arrived early for their every Sunday brunch. We made the recommended reservation and glad we did as others trying to get in without one either were told it would be an hour or would not be able to get in. The brunch for $24.95 each was delicious with so many options of food and was the beginning of a great stay. While our room was not quite ready for our 3pm check in, we were not disappointed with the room or the great view of the Potomac river. We got great scenic pics with the sun reflecting off the river fit for framing. The jacuzzi tub with our bottle of wine was a great way to soak and get warm after a cold day exploring shepardstown. Then a romantic night with the gas fireplace on while enjoying enjoying a movie was a perfect way to cap off our evening. We both enjoyed a free breakfast item off their menu in the morning and were on our way home. We would like to note the normal price of the room seemed a little pricey on its own, but our AAA deal experience was a great way to "try out" the Bavarian Inn and a was a great value! As with most hotels, the Inn offers various stay deal options that would be worth exploring. We plan on going back again when possible.

Room Tip: River view luxury room is the way to go.
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Jason Smith,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are so happy you were able to take advantage of the AAA deal, and that everything was enjoyable. We regularly offer specials and deals via our mailing list and through facebook. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future for another great stay!
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My boyfriend has been a patron of the Bavarian Inn Restaurant for years, and we've enjoyed several hearty, tantalizing, enjoyable meals. He's always wanted to stay in the Inn. The Inn was a bit of a disappointment considering the high standards we knew the restaurant was held to.

The Good: We stayed in the Presidential Suite. The room was lavish, large, with plush dated furniture and lovely details. The window offered a lovely view of the Potomac River. The bathroom was complete with a large jacuzzi tub, mirror, gas fireplace and shower area. The additional fruit/chocolate tray my boyfriend ordered was delightful.

The Not So Good: The Jacuzzi had to be drained several times before use, as the bottom had bath salts/sand/debris in it. The room, while lovely, was flawed. The bed's headboard wasn't fastened securely, and would slap against the wall when we were playing a competitive game of chutes and ladders. The lamp shades had some sort of dark stain on them as well.

Overall, we were a bit disappointed. We had expected nothing but the best based on our experiences at the Bavarian Inn restaurant. We might stay again, but nein, certainly not in a suite.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear OffAgain,
Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate your patronage to the dining room over the past few years. I'm sorry to hear that the room wasn't what you expected, but will be certain to fix the areas noted right away. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Queen Creek AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently visited the area and stay at Bavarian Inn while on business the quality of the rooms and service exceeded the high standards I had come to expect. Dinner was very good and the service was good. The prices are a little high but the quality was there.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, and we were able to exceed your expectations. Please feel free to join our mailing list, and like us on facebook. We regularly run exceptional specials and deals, during slower times. WE hope to welcome you back soon!
Deerfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We visited Shepherdstown after touring Antietam and were delighted to find the Bavarian Inn! We loved the setting and the food and drink were awesome, particularly the German dishes and beer. The crepes in the morning were delicious and indulgent and everyone we met was so friendly we made wonderful memories.

Dear PaulGH2O,
We're so happy you found us, and enjoyed your visit. I will happily pass on your comments to our hard working staff, and look forward to having you back with us again!
Westminster, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been going to the Bavarian Inn yearly for the last 15 years and it is usually a very pleasant experience. The food has always been excellent; they really have wonderful German food. My past experience has been that the entrees that aren't German are not nearly as good as the German entrees. (I got crab cakes one year and they were OK, but as I said, the German food was wonderful and I wasn't even sure I would like the German food!). We stayed Feb. 22-23 in one of the garden rooms, our friends stayed in the Chalet overlooking the Potomac River. All the rooms seemed updated and clean. Our room was also very quiet. The only complaint we had was the temperature in the room seemed to fluctuate. I would wake up and be extremely warm. My husband said he woke up a couple of times and was either too warm or was cold. We had breakfast there in the morning, which we do every year. It is always very good. My only complaint was I tried the Belgian waffles and they were very good, the portion was just very small -- I'm glad I wasn't too hungry.

It is a nice place to get away, where you can eat and drink and not have to worry about driving anywhere.

Dear Kathy N,
Thank you for your patronage to our Inn over the past 15 years. We are so happy it has become a place of enjoyment for you. Thank you also for letting me know of the temperature issues in the room, so we can fix that right away. I will also talk to the chef to make his waffle bigger. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
The Asam Family

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!