“Good Value in a lower cost hotel...C&O trail bikers take note!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Hershey, PA
“Good Value in a lower cost hotel...C&O trail bikers take note!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We selected Clarion because the better known, higher cost hotel in town was full. We were biking the C&O canal with kids, teens, young adults and 50-somethings. It is 1.5 miles from the trail, but a reasonable road to ride (if you know to look for the easy path from the trail up to the bridge). Our expectations were low (see other reviews), and we were pleasantly surprised. This is indeed a budget-type hotel. However, the staff was friendly and helpful, the hotel was clean, and the food in the signature restaurant was reasonably priced and good. There are certainly fancier, excellent options in this town, but if you are looking for basic services while doing your tourist thing, give this place a look.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Antonio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

When I frist entered my room it smelled horrible - like BO! I found out that the entire hotel is infected with stink bugs, and there is even a small sign in your room that says "Pardon our uninvited guests." I actually paid to sleep with bugs?

If that wasn't enough, there was hairy soap from the last guest still in the shower, the water came out murky (I brushed my teeth with bottled water instead), the carpet was dirty, the furniture old and worn, and the the refrigerator did not work.

It was a horrible experience that I had to endure for an entire week. I would never stay there again, and would instead opt for the Comfort Inn down the way which other conference attendees said was great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
eastern US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

We stayed at this Clarion in November 2009 while visiting Shepherdstown. We paid almost $130 for our room for a rather mediocre stay.

First some good things -- The Clarion is close to town. You could probably walk there, which would be a good idea since the parking in town is a bit of a hassle. Free parking at the hotel. Free internet. The lobby is nice. A decent breakfast buffet, and live music at the tavern located in the hotel.

Now to the not-so-good things -- The room was is need of a thorough cleaning and could also use some updating. Grime on the bathroom door. Scratched up furniture. Dirty and ratty towels (probably some of the sorriest I have ever seen). Low-end fixtures. Overall, it looked like a cheap room.

There is a row of parking spots closest to the front door of the hotel. The closest spots are reserved for handicapped spots -- no problem there. But then the next closest spots are reserved for the management of the hotel. So-called-guests have to park in the main lot. It's not a terribly long walk -- unless it's cold and windy and you're carrying a load of luggage, as we were. I don't understand a business that places its employees over customers.

I had heard that the fitness center was good, but on the Saturday morning we were there, it didn't open until 9AM, so when I went there at 8:30 it was closed. We had an 11AM checkout and still had to eat breakfast, so I was not able to use it, or even see it. I've never heard of a fitness center opening so late in the morning.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I stay at this hotel annually with my girlfriends - we like to visit Hapers Ferry and go tubing at the end of the summer each year.

I was pleasantly suprised to find that this particular Clarion recently became non-smoking. How nice! My room did smell a bit funky, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

I always enjoy this property - it's reliable, relatively clean and inexpensive. I've not used the pool or dined in the restaurant, but it's a nice place to lay your head if you are in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I stayed here with my elderly parents, and we rented a Suite with a King bed and a pullout sofa. When we came back from dinner in town and got ready fro bed, I realized there were no linens, blankets or pillows for the sofa bed. I called the front desk, and they said they'd bring some to the room. It was around 9:30. I waited 20 minutes and then went to the desk myself. I recognized the young woman who had answered the phone, and told I have been waiting, but she never apologized. Instead she acting like I was putting her out and gruffly went to a closet and pulled out some sheets. When I asked for blanket, she rolled her eyes!

I wrote an email to Clarion complaining about the terrible service and got a boilerplate response.

• Stayed July 2007
Charleston, WV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

My fiance and I checked in on Friday evening for a two night stay. When we arrived in our room there was the stench of a bad odor (sort of like mildew and stale cigarette smoke). Not wanting to cause a problem, we just turned on the AC unit and hoped for the best. The bathroom was dirty with obvious mold in the toilet and behind the faucet of the sink. The carpets were so filthy that I wore flip flops the entire weekend. They definitely needed to be replaced. I tried to be understanding and overlook the issues because my fiance felt bad that he could not get us in to the normal hotel that we stay in, but Sunday morning was just horrible. After showering and packing to leave, my fiance yelled from the bedroom for me to come see something in the bed. To my shock and horror, there were tiny red ANTS crawling all over the bed that we had slept in for two nights! Even housekeeping gasped when they pulled the sheets back to reveal an ant colony festering in the bed. I felt itchy for two days because of the thought of having ants on me. Fortunately, the manager refunded the cost of our entire stay, but I will never set foot in that hotel again. I'd rather sleep in my car than sleep there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Room overall was clean and comfortable. Quiet. However, the wallpaper was peeling off in the room. Part of the wallpaper was stapled back up onto the wall.

It looked like part of the hotel was being renovated. The food at the restaurant was good and plentiful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!