“Never again!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Shepherdstown
WEIRTON
“Never again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Walking in to the Clarion, one would expect a nice stay as the lobby was very nice! Sorry to say, this was not the case for us. We arrived early for check in on Sunday and thought we would check to see if by chance our room was ready. The front desk said they could upgrade us but the room was not ready and we agreed to wait and went into town for lunch and shopping with a promise of a Phone call when the room was ready. Two and a half hours later we returned despite no phone call and again were told the room was not ready. At the time there were three cars in the parking lot so it was not as though they were crowded. However, We went to the bar and ordered a drink to wait, and wait, and wait. The two bartenders were very apologetic over our wait and called the front desk on their own to see why it was taking so long. Finally after checking back at the desk again, our room was released only to discover that the front desk clerk had never contacted the housekeeping staff to let them know we were waiting!
Upon arrival in our room, we were disappointed that we had waited hours for an upgrade to this room as it was nothing special!
I always wipe the surfaces, controls, light switches, etc. with disinfectant wipes upon arriving in a room and I discovered two burnt out lights in this process but no big deal. Then I turned down the bedspread and saw big disgusting looking stains on the sheets! This was too much and I picked up the phone to call the manager only to find that the bedside phone was dead. Using the second phone on the desk, I called asking for the manager and got his voice mail; i called back and ask for any manager. I was told the only manager on premise was the housekeeping manager and I asked to have her come to our room. Two ladies showed up within a couple of minutes and I showed them the sheet. They told me the stains were not semen as i feared but bleach stains and agreed the sheet should not have been put on the bed. When they pulled down the remainder of the covers to remove the sheet, we saw that the entire sheet was covered with these same stains! Ugh! There is no possible way the housekeeper did not see this when making the bed! In addition, there were cobwebs and mold spots on the ceiling, paper behind the couch, and a toilet that ran non stop! The housekeeper called the front desk to see if maintenance could fix toilet but evidently there was no one available and no one bothered to call back to tell us.
Our dissatisfaction did not end here however! We went to dinner in the Tuscan Grille and were the only people in the restaurant the entire meal. Our waitress was so poorly trained that she did not know the menu and could not answer our questions. She did not know the soup of the day and when she found out and I ask her what it was exactly, she had no idea. She played with her pony tail while taking our order and when she later turned to the table with our appetizers, wiped her nose with the back of her hand! That aside, she was a nice young woman and tried but just was clueless as how to properly serve and was totally untrained.
Sometimes when reading negative reviews one wonders if the reviewer is being overly picky or if they travel often. We have traveled our entire adult lives and have at least 1500 stays at various hotels and are lifetime platinum members in some reward programs so when we say this is one of the worse stays we have had in many years, we speak from experience. The lack of training and management from the front desk to the wait staff and cleaning staff is evident.
It is a shame as this property has great potential but desperately needs updating and most importantly better training!
A very disappointing stay to say the least! Never again will we stay here nor would we recommend to others!

Room Tip: If in Shepherdstown, try the Bavarian Inn!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I am very sorry that you experienced such poor service during your recent stay with us. I understand all of the issues and we have taken corrective action to ensure that it does not happen in the future. You are playing an important role by providing your feedback and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to do so.

I am glad we had a chance to speak on the phone and go over the concerns you had. I felt as though we had a reached a resolve that both parties could be happy with at the conclusion of that phone call. You have my contact information and if you still have concerns, please contact me so we can resolve them. Thank you again for your business and feedback and we hope to have you back again soon so that we can have a second chance to impress you.

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Hotel was typical Clarion. Room was clean and well kept. Bathroom sink showing a little age but clean. Nice lounge and restaurant. Front desk staff friendly and helpful with directions. Will stay here again on next trip.

Room Tip: A 10 minute walk to downtown area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
America
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was a little slice of heaven for me. After a few long days at Antietam, it was nice coming to a nice clean hotel to rest up and recharge the batteries. I was also just a little 'under the weather' so a nice comfy bed at night with a nice tv and fridge and microwave sure helped me a lot. I would stay here again without hesitation. Two thumbs way up from me

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My room with a king size bed was probably one of the dirtiest rooms that I've ever stayed in. The sinks and carpet were dirty and one of the "sanitized" glasses had lipstick on it. To top it off, cigarette smoke from an adjoining room smelled up my room in the morning. Stay classy Clarion.

Room Tip: The the Comfort Inn or Bavarian Inn in town.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here for a family member's wedding. This is a mid-range option for Shepherdstown but the nicest you'll get that is affilated with any of the large hotel chain points programs. The front desk staff and concierge are very friendly, courteous and helpful. They were willing to always assist with local directions and recommendations regarding shopping or food.

The hotel itself is clean and has some good amenities including a fitness club and pool. There is however an extra charge to utilize these facilities. Throughout the facility, there are signs of it being fairly dated. The carpets need replacing and the interiors of the rooms have a definitive 90s look and feel (ie. cherry wood furnishing, dark jewel colored bedding, carpets and drapes). Beds are average, but if you've stayed in Marriott or Starwood properties, you'll find these do not come close to that level of comfort in comparison.

Overall it was sufficient as a place to sleep of average cleanliness and comfort. We will likely stay again since there is family in this area. If a more upscale property affiliated with a major chain were to come to this town however, we would stay there instead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night at this location only because rooms at the national conservation training center were full!
Checking in was standard and staff were adequate. The room felt older, but it had all the necessities.
Getting ready for bed I noticed the fluorescent entrance light was flickering after I had turned it off, indicating to me either faulty wiring or more likely, a dying lightbulb. My call to the front desk was less than helpful as I was told a maintenance person would not be available and nobody could come to my room to assist me. Seriously?? Staff didn't know if another room was available and said they would check. In the meantime I dragged the luggage rack over to the ceiling light and stood on it to see if I could remove the bulb. I managed to loosen the bulb and slow the flickering to less dance-party like flicker. Dusting the ceiling debris from my pjs I called the front desk back. They informed me there was one room if I wanted to move. I informed them I was tired, i didn't want to dress and move, and that i had mitigated the problem because they didn't. Disappointed in their lack of action or concern. .
I would probably not recommend a stay here if something else is available...which is sad, since I enjoy the area and like the town.

• Stayed September 2012
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed overnight at the Clarion on New Year's Eve while attending a show at the Opera House in Shepherdstown. The hotel has a beautiful stairway in the lobby and was nicely decorated for the holiday. It may be an older hotel but looked to be kept in good order and areas including our room, were clean and appeared well maintained. We stayed at another hotel in the area a year before and this one was definitely an "upgrade" compared to that one. Our room and bathroom were both spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable and, although there were late night festivities going on downstairs, our room was quiet. We never even heard anyone in the hallway. Would definitely recommend staying at the Clarion if visiting the Shepherdstown area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!