“Acceptable, but quite a few minor annoyances.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Yokum's Vacationland

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seneca Rocks
Yokum's Vacationland
You added Yokum's Vacationland to your Saves list
HC 59, Box 3, Seneca Rocks, WV 26884   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seneca Rocks
Fairfax, Virginia
“Acceptable, but quite a few minor annoyances.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We did not realize that Cabin 21, which we had reserved, was part of a duplex, with perhaps the possibility of noisy neighbors. Cabins 23 and 20 were singles, with #23 further from the road. We chose it. It was a clean cabin, with a full sized refrigerator and an electric stove. The outdated microwave had no power setting, only time, no turntable and was positioned such that it was hard to clean up any splatters. The kitchen / living room area was quite spacious, but the table had uncomfortable wooden chairs. However, the sofa and double bed were comfortable. Lighting could have been better. We could not get the out-of-reach ceiling fan’s lights to turn on. Kitchenware was adequate, but there was only one soup bowl. The coffee maker came with lots of coffee bags. The bathroom did not have much space for towels. There was no hair dryer. We didn’t use the cracked Jacuzzi or the loft with two single beds. The nearby Yokum’s general store had limited grocery items. After looking at the Yokum Restaurant menu, we decided to eat our meals in the cabin. The cabin came with quite a few other minor annoyances: a poor fitting front screen door with a big hole in it, no bathmat, threadbare bath towels, no holder for soap or shampoo in the shower, scant closet space. The deck had an old rusted folding metal chair and a fabric chair that may have been okay. This cabin seems to be an old unit that has not had recent renovations. The cabin overlooked a nice bubbling river. Yokum’s does not seem to have much in the way of competitors in the area. It was acceptable to us, but we’ve been in much nicer places and, over the years, in some worse places. The roadside cabins need modernizing. Yokum’s has numerous other accommodations besides the roadside cabins, including larger, apparently more modern cabins, a two story motel, and a campground. We recommend Yokum’s, but without any enthusiasm. It is close to WV’s highest mountain, Spruce Knob, and very close to the Seneca Rocks recreation area.

Room Tip: Buy your groceries in a big town such as Elkins.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Petersburg, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I admit that I did not spend a night there; I am a local resident and volunteered there several years ago. I have read many reviews here with complaints about cleanliness and room inspections. Please be advised that there are modern rental units as well as rental units that have been there since the 1960s or so. These are the closest rentals to Seneca Rocks as is possible.

If you could only imgaine the number of vacations the units have endured for families over the years and the treatment the rentals have been subjected to, you would understand that not all will look modern. As for the service and outdated furnishings...remember, this is a privately owned business rather than that of a high class resort or 5 star hotel.

I have encountered folks of many various groups including the archaeologists that constructed the 'dig' at the Seneca Rocks Visitors Center in the 1990s. Those archaeologists became mainstayers at Yokum's as well as spelunkers, rock climbers, fisherman, game hunters and other tourist visitors. They seem to return year after year.

I would hope you have a nice stay at Yokum's; first inspect your rental and let them know if there is a concern.

• Stayed January 2011
Philippi, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

1 - couch and chair were dirty and you actually sat on the wooden frame (if you were brave enough to sit in the filth)
2 - "fully equipped kitchen" was a joke - 1 coffee cup, no cereal bowls, a few mis-matched dirty plates, 2 small sauce pans with no lids, non-working microwave. We had to go to the store and purchase what SHOULD HAVE been in a fully equipped kitchen.
3 - none of the outside grills had a grate - no place to grill food
4 - window blind in one bedroom torn & hanging every which way
5 - queen bed was actually full size
6 - bench to sit on outside door had missing slats - you couldn't sit on it
7 - beds soft & lumpy
Need I say more - we won't return there. We were told the cabins at Harman (just a short distance away) are much better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

From the ridiculous hand written note stating we have 20 minutes to complain to the stairwell that was not lit (resulting in a sprained ankle) this place was poor on every level. No system to confirm reservations, nobody at service desk/cashier at restaurant that knew what they were doing, dirty floors, no shelves for pots and pans (they were just tossed onto the floor under the cabinets, no coffee cups, no paper towels, an inefficient amount of toilet paper, uncomfortable beds, a couch with the springs sticking out and filthy to boot, a light that did not work in the bathroom, outdoor grills with no grates...and the list could go on. Oh and then there was the envelope telling you where to leave the tip...as if. Next time I climb the Via Feratta (excellent by the way) I'll stay down the road in Harmans Cabins. Wish I'd known about them earlier.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Arthurdale, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

My wife and I went for our 1 year anniversary. What a disappointment! We stayed in cabin 21 and what a dump! The toilet didn't flush properly, the bed was terrable(you could feel EVERY spring),the TV was from the 70s or 80s,and the back deck was in need of maintence. When I complained and told them that I probably would not return, they just blew me off. They showed no sign of wanting to keep a customer. We spent almost $90 and it wasn't worth more than $30 (maybe). We had planned on making this a yearly routine, but we have definitely changed our minds. We will never return.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I reserved cabin number two for our family to stay in while visiting family in West Virginia. We arrived fairly late, but we were greeted by someone in the store. Since we were unfamiliar with the area, a gentleman from the Yokum family escorted us to our cabin. We unloaded our trucks and went to bed for the night.

The next morning we explored our cabin. The loft was roomy and there were plenty of beds for us to stay sleep in. I can't say that the beds were comfortable. I did have a crick in my neck for two days, but I'm spoiled back home with my mattress. Our sheets were clean so that's a plus! :)

Fortunately I overpacked. There are dishes and cookware there, but I'm a complete germaphobe so I packed my own. There are also drinking cups, coffee cups, silverware, and cooking utensils. Again, I brought my own. I highly suggest this.

Apparently there have been some complaints in the past that have involved refunds, because there's a notification on the countertop that states you have 20 minutes to inspect your cabin and complain. After that you will be charged for the full amount.

There's also a bowl of candy with an envelope from the housekeepers wishing you a great stay and also letting you know that you can put your tip in the envelope should you be so inclined. I'll be honest and say that we weren't inclined. Overall, the cabin was clean, but if you opened drawers or cabinets they were not clean at all. I didn't find any type of dead bugs or bug poop, so that's a plus.

Our hot tub was clean, however, our neighbors was not. That was remedied the next day. Someone came out, drained it, filled it back up, and put the chemicals in it. Our hot tub was hot, but it didn't work. Apparently someone had changed the filter and it didn't go back into working mode. At 9 PM someone came out to fix it for us. I thought that was VERY nice of them since my twins were chomping at the bit to get in that thing. I got in the hot tub and it was very nice. The chemicals bleached out my teenagers shirt a little bit, but I'm all for chemicals in the pool/hot tub so I didn't care. I only mention it to someone who might wear something of importance in it. Our bathing suits were unaffected by the chemicals.

Please note that you will not have any cell phone service in Seneca Rocks. In Frankin (about 30 minutes away) you can get service if you have AT&T. There's free wi-fi at the Shell station. There's a coffee shop across the street from the Yokum Store that says there's free wi-fi, but I didn't get to go in because they were closed (it was Sunday).

Behind cabin number two are two headstones where some of the Yokum family members are buried. It didn't bother us, but it might bother someone else.

Our television worked just fine. There aren't a plethora of channels, but that doesn't matter. It worked. The microwave, stove, and oven worked just fine. Our toilets flushed and our sinks had running water. The views were spectacular.

I would definitely go back to the cabins, but after reading reviews I don't know that I would stay anywhere else within the Yokum establishments. I didn't have any complaints about the staff there. Please take my advice on the kitchen items. Take paper plates, bowls, plastic silverware, and plastic cups.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
newville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Well, Where do we start!! The first room #8 had hair in the supposed fresh bed, so we asked for a new room. Ok, so they gave us room #10 and there was more hair in that bed, and the bed was do wore out that you laid in a U. We were totally digusted!!!!! We just asked for clean sheets and we changed our own bed. The first clue that is was a dump was the note on the micorwave stating that you only have 20 minutes to complain then you pay full price. The bathrooms were digusting, and the water just dripped out of the shower that was moldy!!! The air conditioners in the window were boarded with cardboard that was duck taped and were falling out. Then when we went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast the waitress wouldn't let us in cause the cook didn't show up till an hour and a half late!!!!! Then the next day they got in a loud argument in kitchen while were waiting for our breakfast. Some of the customers got up and left. Too bad we had already ordered, and didn't have time to go elsewhere before our climb at nelsons rock. We should have stayed in the cabins with no electric and no running water.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Yokum's Vacationland? Share your experiences!