“This is the coolest cave ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Ronceverte
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovered in 1704, Organ Cave is the second longest cave on the east coast, with over 40 miles of passageways.
Orlando, Florida
10 attraction reviews
“This is the coolest cave ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We happened by this place by accident and it was AWESOME!!! The staff there was SOOOO friendly - especially the wife/owner. They bought this cave (entrance) in the 1980's and outbid Yellowstone National Park for it (they said). The pathway down into the cave is lighted for 2 miles - you can hike down into the cave for 7 miles or more - at the 7 mile mark you find the "organ" made out of stalagtites. My favorite thing was that you can do a 15 hour trek into the cave and spend the night!! The owners have all these interesting stories about the history of the cave. Apparently the cave may be as long as 77,000 miles - they think from Kentucky to North Carolina. Also, this place is less than 5 miles away from the gorgeous Greenbrier Hotel!!! I loved this place - the wife/owner made you want to go home and tell all your friends to go there!!! Thought this was an experience to put on your bucket list - not only that, it was really reasonable - I think like $18/pp. This is not a place to visit if you have a disability or difficulty hiking...uneven ground is a little too rocky if you have health issues (like knee problems, back issues, or are really out of shape). Terrain is a little challenging (Difficulty level - 3).

Visited May 2012

Bremerton, Washington
4 attraction reviews
“So-so Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I have toured many caves and I would rate this only so-so. How the Confederates used the cave during the war was interesting but there's better ways to spend one's time.

Visited April 2012
rural michigan
9 attraction reviews
“Way cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We took the tame tour, no climbing involved and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our guide was very knowledgeable and answered our questions with ease despite her young age. During the tour you not only learn about the geological formation of the cave but how it was used in the civil war. There are even artifacts left in there that you see. The "organ" part of organ cave was very majestic and beautiful. The price was very reasonable, although I don't remember exactly how much it was. In addition, I have a little trouble walking at times and was concerned about the walk.. with the exception of a lot of stairs at the beginning and end (same steps.. down was fine.. up.. ugh!) the walk was paced slowly enough that most anyone of any ability without aids such as walker, crutches or wheelchair can navigate the tour.

Visited March 2012
Princeton, WV
15 attraction reviews
“Wild and wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We took our grandson - he loved it and the guide was very thorough in giving the details of the cave.

Cary, North Carolina
“Wow - completely exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

My son (17) and I went on a Saturday and did the Mini Cliff Hanger. Our tour guide was FANTASTIC. He was both casual and very knowledgeable about the cave, rock formations and history. He explained the risks, talked to us about what difficulties were ahead on the tour and made sure we were both challenged and safe.

I've read other reviews that imply they sugar-coat the risks - we did not get that. They explained the risks. And there were risks. That is what made it fun.

My son had been asking me to take him on a caving trip - not a tourist walk, and this was the PERFECT adventure for the two of us. I recommend it to anyone who wants a little adventure, exercise and a lot of fun.

Visited October 2011