“Great place to stay...Always.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koolwink Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Romney
Koolwink Motel
You added Koolwink Motel to your Saves list
HC 63, Box 410, Romney, WV   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Romney
Bowie, Maryland
“Great place to stay...Always.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I’ve been coming to Romney, WV for many years, actually since the early 1970’s. I’ve stayed in many Hotels/Motels in the greater area and the Koolwink Motel as definitely the best place to relax and is very consistent in their accommodations, and that’s why I rate them is the “best in the area”. Parking is just a few steps from the rooms, and the rooms are very quiet from road noise, and from neighboring rooms. The rooms are always very clean and have been modernized with HDTV, refrigerators, microwaves, and coffee maker. Recently, the city of Romney has added Cell Phone towers and the reception is great. Also WIFI has been added with makes the Internet access very convenient in all rooms.

Room Tip: I always stay in the rooms on the hill (2 levels)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I have been coming here for years. It is one of the nicest family owned immaculate vintage 1940's style motels....kind and considerate ownership and staff....wonderful little rural community where peeople greet you and truly hope to come back again....a radio station that gives you the lastest grocery store seasonal bargains, ads for tires and oil change locations and the names of the sick to pray for. Great place for breakfast, Shirleys cafe or diner. Wonderful experiences every time I droop anchor. Bride of 40 years died of ovarian cancer in 2005.....She loved the Koolwink and we have never had anything but a wonderful experience....Two things (1) Ask about the origin of the name and little winking guy in the top hat...and (2) Be sure to ask for and buy a Kool Wink coffee mug. Robert D, Armstrong Alexandria, Virginia

Room Tip: They are all great but service is the most enjoyable part and friendly attitude,,,they treat you lik...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Wardensville, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is our second stay at the Koolwink. We stayed last year to ride the wonderful excursion train ride that goes through the South Branch Valley in Romney. Both visits could not have been better. The people who own this motel work very hard to make sure you are comfortable. The rooms both times were immaculately clean and well-kept. The motel has almost a "Route 66" feel to it, seems to beckon to a past time before the Motel 6 effect of carbon-copy motels. There are two facilities: one right on route 55 and the other up on a hill. We stayed at the roadside facility both times, and the road noise was not too bad, but travellers who want a totally quiet night might opt for the hilltop facility. The only request we made while there was for a box fan for some "white noise". which was quickly furnished with a long extension cord. The bed was very comfortable, and the room came with a microwave and refrigerator. The bathtub was large, and the room was welcoming. I wish I could find a place like this in my other travels to stay. Reasonable rates with first-class accomodations. Could not ask for more...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Apache Junction
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

When we come home we always stay here. It is clean and friendly. We stay up on the hill they are newer rooms and a lot more peaceful and the trees are Beautiful any time of year.We stayed 11 days and the fall colors were Beautiful.We had a really nice maid Debbie. Want thank her for taking care of us while we were there.Love the Retro Style..
Will stay again , Betty Lease Apache Junction Az.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I had been driving past the Koolwink and staying at the newer hotel down that street for years. That was a massive mistake! The Koolwink is everything I hoped for and more. I had wanted clean, decent rooms that I could sleep in without hearing my neighbor snore (unlike the paper thin walls at the place down the road). What I got were rooms that had just about everything you'd expect in a modern hotel room (coffee maker, fridge, flat screen TV), plus decorations that were like stepping back in time. And it was not just old furniture stuck in a crappy room... the building itself looked like it was brand new (with the exception of wood paneling in part of the room). On top of this, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful when I accidentally locked something in the room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Spotting the Koolwink was one of those bits of serendipity that I always hope for but all too rarely encounter. I was heading west, had passed Winchester, VA, and was watching darkness set in. Realizing that there were no cities with motel clusters in my immediate future, I was even contemplating turning back to Winchester when the green Koolwink sign appeared. I turned in with a certain degree of desperation hoping that it wouldn't be too bad. It couldn't have been better.

On the way to the office, I passed a small group sitting outside their rooms and asked if this was a good place to stay. The responses were immediate, enthusiastic, and very positive. The price was very reasonable and the room was huge, clean, and well furnished with everything I needed and more. This is the sort of family run motel I dream of finding and I'll try timing any future trips through here to reach the Koolwink at the end of a day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We'd never been in this part of WV and came for an overnighter to check it out. We booked at Koolwink based on the reviews and are very glad we did! The decor is very fun and many (most? all?) of the furnishings look to be original to the motel - but are meticulously kept up. It was kitschy, retro fun, right down to the bottle opener on the bathroom doorjamb. Definitely a blast from the past to road trips with my parents.

The room was huge by today's standards - plenty of space to spread out, even with two beds, a sitting area with a lamp with a truly amazing lampshade, a dresser/desk/TV stand console that ran the length of the room. Fridge was a big plus, and the wifi was just fine. Lots of counter space by the sink with the classic old-fashioned vanity-in-the-room-toilet-and-bath-separate set-up. There is a folding room divider you can use if you need privacy at the sink area.

One slight negative - there is no vent in the bathroom, and two showers really brought on quite a build up of moisture that didn't have anywhere to go, despite leaving the door open all night. The result was a clammy feel in the bathroom that wasn't a problem for our one-night stay but would likely be unpleasant for longer.

The setting is lovely - check out the bridge over a lovely stream out back. Romney itself is a charming and unexpectedly old town with some lovely historic buildings. We weren't in town for the running of the Potomac Eagle excursion train, but we checked out the site and it looks like a lot of fun. We visited the Indian Mound Cemetery with it's one mound, a very pretty bell tower and a nice view. We also visited the site of Fort Mill where there are interpretive signs and pleasant hikes.

We ate the Italian Touch - recommended by the proprietor - and had a quite good pizza. Breakfast was at Shirley's Diner - great small diner-type place with wonderful skillet potatoes and very good pancakes.

Room Tip: We stayed down by the road, but it might be interesting to check out the units further up the hill.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Koolwink Motel? Share your experiences!