“Wonderful family friendly place.” 5 of 5 stars

Stonewall Resort
940 Resort Drive, Roanoke, WV 26447   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Wonderful family friendly place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We have been to Stonewall twice over the past couple of years. Once in the fall when the leaves were just gorgeous and most recently this spring. On both occasions we had a wonderful relaxing time. It's a great place for kids. Lots of outdoor activities and not overly formal. I wouldn't stay more than 2 or3 days unless you are ok with repeating activities. Lots of trails to hike, biking,canoes, kayaks and swimming all for a flat $15 daily resort activity fee. They have a casual pub style restaurant and their main restaurant where you can either order a buffet meal or off of the menus. The breakfast buffet is tremendous . We did the dinner buffet and for the cost I was disappointed. Lots of variety but it just didn't do it for me. Next time I will order off of the menu.

There isn't much to do there in the evenings. They do have a fire pit where the kids can make s'mores ($10 for a kit that makes 4). I say bring your own ingredients. The pool is open until 11:00.; but that's it. We usually play cards in the lobby or go back to our room for TV time.

The spa is very nice. I've enjoyed time there on both visits but you do have to plan ahead and make appointments. My 14 year had a golf lesson with the golf pro for an hour for $25 which I felt was very reasonable. The pro was very kind, helpful and even went back to the clubhouse and typed up some notes for him to take home.

It was a great weekend. Would like to see it in the winter but am concerned that there wouldn't be enough to do since many of the outdoor activities would not be available. Highly recommend a visit. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Weirton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

While the lake and the golf course are the selling points the real asset of the resort is the excellent staff. We have stayed there many times and have never been disappointed. Everyone is very friendly and makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed April 2014
Zelienople, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

First the bad news The spa The spa adds a 20% (no choice) tip That's too much since you go to the spa Horrible non service I went in they couldn't take (I wanted a 1/2 hour foot massage) which was fine I called later, the phone was NOT answered I went to the spa again, was told they could take me then. 4 minutes later she said it would be just over hour, I said no I wanted it now (I saw 3 spa people walking around the spa) Then it was 1/2 hour I repeated myself & left Why could they said yes at 1st then no?

The resort is GREAT Our king room was great The staff is one of the best. There is so much to do The pool is an indoor pool that also goes outside, in the winter the entire pool stays open to 11PM year round (they heat it to over 90 degrees in the winter) The resort is very clean Our room was reasonable the food is a little high, but it is a resort. Breakfast buffet is $14. but you will not be hungry till dinner They have bike & non motorized boats (free) tons of stuff for kids to do. We could NOT do everything we wanted to do in our 3 nights there I want to go back in the fall, my husband wants to go in the winter, so I guess that means spring, fall & winter stays for us
The gift shop prices seemed a little high, but they carried wonderful things for all ages
There is a campground for tents & trailers, there are also cabins available We are thinking instead of giving the grandkids toys at Christmas (they have many people who give them Christmas toys) to give the entire family a big certificate to Stonewall. From Zelienople Pa it is a 2 1/2/ hour drive from West Virginia it is 1 hour

Room Tip: If you like to swim ask for a room from 137 to 153 odd or even any floor so I guess that would be 23...
Cazy, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Stonewall Resort while in the area on business. It is a very nice resort in a lovely setting. Our room was large and comfortable. The restaurant had both breakfast and dinner buffets that offered good food at very reasonable prices. The staff was very friendly and eager to help. We hope to take our granddaughters there this summer to enjoy all the fun things they have to offer at this fine resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Summersville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have stayed at Stonewall several times and we had a great time as usual. We are only an hour from the resort and utilize it for quick getaways. We were only able to stay 1 night this time, so we didn't get to enjoy the pool and spa as we usually do. When we arrived, there was a wedding going on and the staff was very good to usher people in and out quietly, so as not to disturb the ceremony. When we checked in at the front desk we were informed by the front desk clerk that we had been upgraded to a suite at no charge. That was quite a pleasant surprise! The front desk clerk also gave us a newsletter with the weeks events and I enjoyed that very much to see what all was available for us to do.

The suite was large, set up nicely and we loved it! It wasn't a suite where you just have a "living area" on the other side of the room. We had our bedroom which was a normal hotel room (bed, desk, couch, closet), and bathroom. We opened the door to the 2nd room and it had a nice large living area set up as well as a large dining table, 2 huge windows to enjoy the lake view, another bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a kitchenette.

We ate dinner at Lightburn's where the views are beautiful. It was still too chilly to sit outside but we sat next to the windows to enjoy the view. We had good service and the only minor issue was that my steak was overcooked. The waitress offered to immediately take care of it. All of the food was very good.

We enjoyed some time at TJ Muskies after dinner. It was fairly crowded and the staff easily kept up with the demand. When we were ready to leave we ordered a snack to take with us to our room and the server made sure we had all the silverware, napkins etc we needed.

We enjoyed to grounds the next morning before we left.

Checkout was a breeze and we are looking forward to our next stay when we can make a weekend it of it and enjoy the pool, and spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

My kids and I had the perfect spring break! I can't say enough about the staff, the service, the food (delicious!)! My one complaint was that the quality of mattress is on the decline... Time to replace! All 3 of us tossed and turned every night... We jokingly called the beds "torture chambers"- but I'm telling you that was our ONLY complaint! I'm hoping the problem will be resolved by the time I visit again!

• Stayed April 2014
Stephenson, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Room was nice. Food was good at resort restaurant and golf shop restaurant. Heated indoor/outdoor pool was great! Beautiful place to stay and lots to do. Would like to return in the fall. Little Sorrel boat ride is fun.

Room Tip: Request lake side
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!