“Valentine Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Valentine Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Friday - Sunday, Valentine weekend special. Offered champagne and cookie bar in the beauiful lobby with photo opportunites. They had a lot of seating and a huge fireplace with an area to sit on the edge of the fireplace. Dinner and Breakfast included both days.... Fabulous food! Entertainment in TJs was a guitarist, dancing and shooting pool. Outside they had a firepit and roasting marshmellows. The swimming pool (indoor) was warm and the indoor hot tub was HOT! We saw brave couples in the outdoor pool while it was snowing - their love musta been keeping them warm! The hotel rooms had a large king bed, couch - would make into a bed, 4 cup perkulator coffee pot, small refridgerator, small table/2 chairs, and a dresser with large TV. Bathroom was large and they provide a hair dryer. The gift shop is nice, but has limited hours on the weekend. They also have a spa on site - I have used it before and have loved the massages given by Jamial (?), but he wasn't working so I didn't get a massage - the spa is pricey. They have a large room service menu available. We have stayed at Stonewall resort several times - about 75 minute drive from Charleston WV, and will return. During the summer they have continuous activities for the young and old...my husband loves their golf course and at 5pm they have a yacht that loads up and takes you all around the lake - beautiful scenery. Lots of deer/squirrels. The cabins by the lake look lovely, but I haven't stayed in one.

Room Tip: We have stayed in 10 different rooms.... all views are good, of the lake, of the golf course, or the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to Stonewall for our 1 year anniversary trip in May of 2013, and we requested a lake-view room since it was a special occasion. We were a disappointed, though, because all we could see was the wall of trees that completely blocked the view of the lake. The room was clean and comfortable, though, and we loved that the kayaks/paddle boats were complimentary with the resort stay! The other disappointing part of the trip was the restaurant in the bottom level of the resort. We were encouraged by the staff to do the dinner buffet, but the food had obviously been sitting out for hours. There weren't many options, and it definitely wasn't worth the price tag for both of us.

Stayed May 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife, myself and two of our three children have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Stonewall Resort, and it was an absolutely perfect weekend. We had a two room suite which was extremely spacious and very comfortable. The resort was just beautiful and so clean. There was plenty to do for the children (in spite of the snowy weather!) but the most endearing memory for me was the graciousness of the staff. Each and every one of them was amazing - we never felt rushed, and they took a genuine interest in our well being. There were too many to mention individually, but if you're reading this you know who you are! I do want to say a special thank you though to Dan for going above and beyond with the suggestions of things to do, and of course to Mike Hager for making sure our whole trip was perfect. I would thoroughly recommend this resort to anyone and everyone. If you're even half thinking about going here I would say just do it - you will not regret it. We visited in middle of January and the scenery was breathtaking even then, but the location is such that no matter what time of year you're there it would be equally amazing. In fact everyone we spoke to said the same, and how happy they are to be working there. It was truly a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Excellent Thanksgiving getaway - dinner special was unforgettable experience and staff was attentive. Always a delight as we visit 12 - 20 nights every year to take advantage of the messages and solitude.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is quieter due to less thru-traffic
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hurricane, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed there last night and are highly disappointed. We reserved a room with enhancements and really hoped to have a great time getting away. I've been there for conferences and told my husband we would have a great time reconnecting since he just came home from military training. We checked in, put our stuff in the room, and headed down for dinner. The food was NOT like it has been in the past. I would've rather spent $10 on pizza instead of the $60 I paid. Then we went back to the room to get ready to go to the pool and hot tub... only to go down and find out it was closed. So we had nothing else to do. Went to breakfast this morning (better than dinner - thank goodness) and then just checked out and came home. I consider this a waste of $260 total... if there was a disclaimer during reservation regarding the pool and hot tub being closed we would've waited and not wasted our money.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Our Director of Rooms has reached out to you to discuss this matter further and is hoping to hear from you soon to offer a resolution. Please accept our apologies for the issues that occurred during your stay. There is never a convenient time to close a resort pool for any length of time but it was necessary in order for us to completely resurface the heated indoor/outdoor pool and 2 hot tubs. We did our best to notify guests at the time they booked their room and also we posted a message on the front page of our website but we are aware and regret that not all of guests got the message prior to their arrival. We do expect to have the pool and hot tubs heated and open again starting February 11. Please come back and visit us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I spent 2 nights in a getaway at this resort Dec. 30 and 31st, 2013. We have stayed here numerous times as part of our law firm's lawyer retreat and one other time with our children, but this was our first stay just the two of us, which gave us a chance to enjoy it fully.

This resort is one of WV's rare gems, and it really showed off its magnificence at Christmastime with the rustic lobby with soaring ceilings and stone two story roaring fireplace the perfect accompaniment to about 6 gorgeously decorated Christmas trees. Our clean spacious room with comfy beds looked out onto the lake. Although it was not luxurious, we enjoyed having the refrigerator to store the bottle of wine that we brought with us and I love the design of the bathroom where there is a separate sink/mirror outside the bathroom. (Would have loved a microwave as well.) The drapes were so great at blocking light that we were shocked that we slept at least two hours longer than we wake up daily at home without an alarm clock.

The food at the resort is consistently good, and we love that the chef tries to stay true to the appalachian theme. (The jerked fish was phenomenal.) Even though we arrived late the first night (around 8:00 p.m.) the dinner buffet at Stillwater's was fresh, hot & delicious. At $25 per person, it is an incredible value (ordering off the menu is also an option.) After dinner, we strolled out to the firepit (complete with s'mores kits on request,) where we met several other friendly couples. Both breakfasts at Stillwater's were excellent, as the buffet offers quite a spread complete with made-to-order omelettes and a constantly re-filled cup of coffee, and at $14 per person, it is a great value as well. The service in this restaurant is truly excellent.

After breakfast, I was able to get a pedicure and a relaxing massage at the spa, and my husband got a great hair cut. Very friendly staff there as well.

We even got a jump on our New Year's resolutions by working out in the state-of-the-art fitness center Watching big beautiful snowflakes fall onto the outdoor pool and hot tub while on the treadmill made it almost seem like not a workout at all.

The only somewhat criticism we had from our stay is that we chose this resort for its formal New Year's Eve dinner party and were disappointed. We had been at the resort during New Year's a few years ago with our children and enjoyed dinner with the kids in Stillwaters but longingly watched all the couples dressed up going to the ballroom. When we learned we had a babysitter, we knew we wanted to go to that this year. We were somewhat disappointed at first to learn that the more formal party was moved to Lightburn's (the golf clubhouse) up the hill, but we decided to do it anyway. However, while we appreciated the shuttle to take us up the hill, we did not enjoy having to leave the resort in the cold. Further, when we arrived at Lightburns, we felt we were packed in like sardines, and the tiny dance floor made it difficult to move around or for more than a small fraction of people to be out there at once. I couldn't understand why they did not use the big beautiful ballroom at the main lodge as they had before. As we were leaving the next day, I noticed a sign that the resort was hosting a dance group for a 5-day conference that has apparently become an annual event, and apparently they use the ballroom for their New Years' Eve festivities, which apparently is what has relegated the nicer New Year's party off-site. I assume it is a matter of economics, which I understand. I do want to note that the food at the party was outstanding, with fresh crab cakes being cooked right on the buffet. The dessert table was over the top with about 5 selections, including egg nog bread pudding, cherry pie, chocolate cake and more. Add to that the bottle of wine with dinner and the open bar until midnight, and it was truly an outstanding value. However, unless the formal party is moved back to the lodge, we likely will not return for New Year's again, which is sad because, otherwise, we had no complaints about the party whatsoever. I note that management reads these reviews and responds, which is a sign of a good resort, and I hope they will keep this in mind in the future.

All in all, I highly recommend Stonewall, and I am sure we will return. I have never been there in the summer, but I would love to do so. I also have not stayed in the cottages, but they look absolutely charming. It truly does seem to have something for everybody, in a down-to-earth pleasant environment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Stonewall. We appreciate your feedback very much and glad you enjoyed your stay. We do take your feedback seriously and will take that under consideration as we evaluate New Years Eve 2013 and formulate our plans for New Year Eve 2014. We look forward to welcoming you back to Stonewall again soon!
Sewickley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Like other reviewers accurately note - this resort is off the beaten path. I have only stayed during the winter months, and will again from December 28 - 31st this year. I have only stayed in the lodge - which I like very much. I love the warmth and "woodsiness" of the place and its fireplaces in the lobby and in the bar. The staff has always been very accommodating. The restaurants are surprisingly good, given their remoteness. In Stillwaters, I have a thing about the TOAST of all things - it is FANTASTIC, and I hope it hasn't changed. I don't know if it's the bread or how/what they use to toast it, but the consistency and flavor is crazy-good. Laugh if you want, but try it.

This year we got a really good rate for 3 nights before New Years. The cost sky-rockets for New Years' Eve, but includes dinner/celebration. My boyfriend and I are not into that so are leaving before that - at a rate of $90-something per night for a lake view King room.

The spa services are fine, and not so fancy as to be incongruously pricey compared to the rest of the place. I have enjoyed (and plan to do it again) walking along the golf cart path all over the property. I have encountered very large herds of deer that apparently rent the entire course out for the winter. They are not very welcoming, and you probably should walk the other way if you crest a hill and run into them. They are "cute," but they are rude... kind of like some kids we all know.

All in all, I really like the place. It is not extravagant, but comfortable in its simplicity, which fits the surroundings. Some day I will stay in a cabin on the lake - the area really is lovely.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you! Hope you enjoyed your stay! See you next year.

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!