“Nice property-nice, clean rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ranson
Akron,OH
“Nice property-nice, clean rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

While traveling over Labor Day Weekend we stayed here for the night - midway to our weekend destination. We picked this hotel due to it's proximity to Charles Town Races & Slots which is less than a .5 mile away.

This is a newer hotel built in 2006. Everything through out the property was in excellent condition. Our non-smoking king room was large and in great shape. The hotel was crowded but the rooms were well insulated as we heard no noise at all from adjoing rooms or the hall. The breakfast area is also large and has a nice selection above the typical continental breakfast including sausage gravy & biscuits and those great cinnamon rolls. Receipts for room charges are slid under the door late at night or early a.m. and act as an express check-out. No waiting in line to check out in the morning. Just leave the charges on the credit card, leave the key cards in the room and you are on your way.

There is also a complimentary shuttle run by Charles Town Races & Slots that stops at the front door here. Although the racino is almost next door it's a nice convience if you don't want to bother driving there and parking.

Room rates may seem a bit high but worth it as you are getting quality here.

• Liked — Proximity to Charles Town Races & Slots
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

My family just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at the end of July. The hotel itself is very nice and clean. The continental breakfast was good and provided a lot of choices. My only complaint is that we were given a smoking room because all of the non-smoking rooms were already taken. We didn't think that this would be a problem because we have stayed at other hotels in a smoking room and could never smell the smoke. As soon as we entered the hallway to our room, it reeked of cigarette smoke. The room was worse. Everything smelled of cigarette smoke. While lying in bed, I had thoughts of going to the lobby to ask for a change of rooms. The sheets and pillows smelled so bad, I felt sick to my stomach. I found out the next morning that a family member who stayed in another smoking room, said that she felt as if she was being suffocated my the smell, it was that bad. We booked 4 rooms and all who stayed had the same complaint. If you are a smoker, go ahead and stay at this hotel. If not, find another place to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smell of smoke in the room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

This is a very clean business class hotel built in 2006.

We stayed here because it is close to the Charlestown Races and Slots (less than a mile up the road). It is maybe 10 miles from Shepardstown, 20 miles to Antietam Battlefield and 35 miles to Prime Outlets in Hagerstown.

We stayed in a room with a whirlpool bath. They have cable TV with most of the popular nonpremium channels. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable with a firm mattress.

They serve a free breakfast in the morning. There is free coffee available after 10AM.

There is a business center with two modern computers and a printer for no extra charge.

The fitness center has an elliptical machine and a treadmill.

There is a pool, but no life guard.

The staff is very friendly and accomodating.

The race track kept all my wife's money.
I went to Antietam.

I liked it.

Compared to other places in this area that we have stayed in previous trips, this is much better.

• Liked — You can walk to the race track.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mechanicsburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

This is a great place to stay. Our room was next to an outside door but the room was very quiet. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms are beautiful and very clean. The breakfast was great. We will stay there again.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at your hotel. It was a pleasure. The staff was friendly and anxious to please. Rooms were clean and bright. Everything was spottless. I almost didn't book this hotel because of a bad review I had read on this site. Boy was I glad that I thought about it. I know that every Holiday Inn I've ever stayed in was never a disappointment and this was no differant. If I need to stay in Charles Town again I will surely stay at this hotel.

S. & R. Franklin, New York

• Liked — clean rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

I stayed here one day when I visted Charlestown Race Track. The place was very clean and tastefully decorated (for an Express). The room smelled terribly. It was nice room, but I could not get past the smell. It appears to be a realtively new hotel too....... the mattress was the worst mattress I had ever slept on.... I would have been more comfortable on the floor. I tried everything to get comfortable. WHen I was asked how my stay was, I had to tell the girl about the mattress and smell. She had stated that they were brand new and have not been broken in...NOt sure if I agree with that statement. Since when does a mattress need to be broken in to be comfortable??? Anyways the rest of the place was nice, great breakfast too!!

• Liked — Close to casino
  • Disliked — mattress
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charles Town? Share your experiences!