“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ranson
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Some friends and I stayed here for 1 night a few months ago, and overall I would say that I enjoyed my stay. First things first, the front desk staff was amazing. We checked in around 10:00pm and arrived to an alert and friendly staff (Brian, Amber, Jordan-- Thank You!). They were probably the highlight of the stay because there were issues with my reservation and they did everything they could to help me fix the problem.
The double queen room was super spacious, and very clean. We had a very good night's sleep. It did smell like smoke because they recently made the entire hotel a nonsmoking hotel. Didn't bother me too much because I'm a smoker, however, I felt silly leaving the room to smoke and then coming back to a smoky-smelling room.
We stayed here so that we could visit the Charles Town Casino, and the hotel does have a shuttle that runs to and from there which was very convenient for us. The drivers were friendly and the shuttle itself was very nice. Breakfast was a great value. Lots of selections- pastries, cereals, fruit, sausage, eggs, etc. Something for everyone.
The biggest issue I had was regarding billing, management staff was absent and were unwilling to cooperate via phone. I had to take it up with my credit card company to resolve the issue on my behalf since management did not want to work with me. Had the front desk staff not been so kind and understanding, I may have left. Despite that major issue, I would still recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Davisburg, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Arrived during the heat wave and was delighted with the clean and cool outdoor pool. Our room was very nice and large, and always cleaned while we were away. (stayed 3 nights). Breakfast staff took great pride in service, and everything was as it should be for a HiEx. Great location to head on the country road to Sharpsburg, or to the main drag for shopping and restaurants. Quiet location.

Room Tip: Inner rooms overlook the outdoor pool, fyi.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the HIE on the tail end of a two-week vacation, and we got the best sleep of the whole trip at this hotel! Incredibly comfy beds, good temperature control, clean and spacious, unobtrusive service. We slept so well that we OVERslept, and the desk clerk was gracious about giving us a late check out. The breakast was great, especially those awesome cinnamon rolls. A big thumbs up!

Charles Town, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We recently spent 4 days at the Holiday Inn and found it to be very comfortable. The facility was attractive, clean and well maintained. All levels of the staff members were nice and professional.

The only thing I found annoying about my stay were the speed bumps in the parking lot. They are a bit larger than necessary and rather uncomfortable to go over in and out of the parking lot in small cars.

Room Tip: I had a double queen bed room and had no complaints. I would imagine all the rooms in the facility w...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Just stayed there with Bike Virginia group. The internet never worked. On the first day, MANY people were not able to go into their rooms until 630pm or 7pm. Good breakfast and all but pretty expensive considering there was no internet and the other problems. I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Coudersport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife and I picked this hotel while at an annual rotary conference. Everything including the comp breakfast exceeded our expectations. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Everything was easily accessed. Navigating to and from the room can be a little confusing but nothing a few extra turns wont cure. I thought it worth mentioning that "Amber" who was working the front desk one night couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Very nice to see, not enough of it these days.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I spent a few days last week at this (new looking) Holiday Inn Express in Ranson, West Virginia. It was a last minute trip and I didn't have lots of time to research places to stay. We were there to visit Harper's Ferry National Historical Park and also making a trip to Antietam Battlefield National Military Park. This hotel is the perfect spot for anyone wanting to visit these two places. Harper's Ferry is about 5 minutes down the road. Antietam is a longer drive back into Sharpburg, Maryland -- but we found out (by accident) on our way back to the hotel that Flowing Springs Road (where the hotel is located) is on a road that goes right into Sharpsburg (kind of a shortcut) where the battlefield is located. Also, the hotel is located close to the highway --but set back away from it --so it is nice and quiet there at night. Its seemed to me that there were many guests staying there while we were there -- but we had no noise issues at all. We stayed in a non-smoking king bed room on the third floor (there is an elevator). The room was very large, clean, and comfortable. Just what you want in a chain hotel like this --nothing real fancy -- but nothing to complain about either. The sheets and towels were clean, the bathroom was very clean, no stains or odors...and the air conditioning worked well and wasn't too loud. There was the complimentary free hot breakfast which was pretty good considering that it wasn't made to order like in a restaurant. They had unlimited amounts of sausage one day and crispy bacon the next day-- the bacon was excellent! There were pre-made cheese omlets which weren't great --but not bad either. If you were in the mood for something else--they had the usual assortment of breakfast fixings---toast, bagels, muffins, hot cinnamon rolls (too sweet for me but I think others might like them), cereal, pancakes etc, etc. The coffee was fairly good , too -- I had 2 cups each morning to get me going.Our room overlooked the pool. It was slightly too cool for the pool to be in use -- but it was large and looked clean and well cared for.People were sitting around the pool in the afternoon each day. I also noticed a nice fitness center. The hotel is close to the Hollywood Casino which has a complimentary bus that stops by the door on a regular basis in case you want to do some gambling (we didn't). As for food, there are many restaurants in the area --all a short drive from the hotel. In conclusion --all I can say is that this place is a winner.

Room Tip: The sun will wake you up in the morning. Remember the close the blackout curtains. We didn't do...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charles Town? Share your experiences!