“Good rest stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ranson
Westport, Canada
“Good rest stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

When travelling, sometimes all you want is a clean, comfortable room. That was our expectation and, except for a slight hiccup at check-in, that expectation was surpassed. We had called ahead to ensure a non-smoking room with a king-sized bed. The staff member promised that the request was guaranteed. On arrival, our reservation called for two queen sized beds in a smoking room. Fortunately, the hotel was not full and we were quickly accommodated. The lobby and rooms were clean and the furnishings were appropriate. Breakfast was slightly more expansive than we had come to expect. As absolute strangers to the regions, we were charmed by Harpers Ferry (eight miles away)with its rich historical heritage--worth a half day or more--and a beckoning hike on the Appalachian Trail at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. (Prices in town are high) And if there's still money burning a hole, the Charlestown Race Track-Hollywood Casino, is a shuttle bus ride away from the hotel..

Room Tip: Build in time for visiting Harpers Ferry
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed here for 1 night on October 30, 2011 to visit Charles Town Races & Slots. The room was a nice size nothing fancy about what you would expect from HIE. Very clean and comfortable. There is a fitness center and a nice size outdoor pool. Would have been nice if it was indoor. I can't comment on the breakfast because I left at 4:15 am before breakfast was served at 6:00. The hotel is about less than 5 minutes from the casino. They do offer a free shuttle but I decided to drive since it was so close. There are several eating places and shopping nearby off route 9 going toward Martinsburg and 340. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Charles Town especially the casino.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This was a good place to stay. My family and I had no problems with anything about it. The complimentary breakfasts were pretty good and they did not end too early like many places do. Also, the rooms were a decent size, not too small. The hotel was clean and we had no problems with bed bugs or anything like that. The people who worked there were very friendly and accommodating. The free cookies they put out were good. The location was pretty close to Harper's Ferry (like 10 minutes away).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Colonial Heights, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We just returned from another trip to Charles Town Races and Slots and an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn Express. It was okay. Our stay was on a Sunday night (at half the price of a saturday night stay), so I don't believe they were even near capacity noting the number of vehicles in the parking lot on Sunday night and Monday morning. We were given a room that wasn't up to par this time. The club chair, with ottoman, always provided in previous rooms, was there, but missing the ottoman and the chair arms were filthy. They need to either replace these chairs or remove them altogether. Previously we were provided two types of pillows..soft and hard with each pillow designated with an attractive band designating hard or soft....not so this time. Our room had 4 hard pillows (on king bed). There was only 1 coffee cup and one tea bag (package was opened)...probably an oversight by the maid. Everything else in the room was good and it was clean, but the dirty chair needs to be removed. It does make me wonder how dirty the dark colored carpet must be. The selections at breakfast has become even more sparse. But if you love pancakes, they do have a really neat automatic machine that makes them with the push of a button in a couple of minutes. The friendly staff in the immaculate breakfast room are always accomodating, although are unable to provide items that management has removed from the menu. If you love very weak coffee, you will be pleased. Starbucks is too strong for me, but HIE's is not much more than tinted water these days. I guess that most guests are returning to the area for the Charles Town Races and Slots, and I'm certain are looking forward to the Hampton Inn's opening as much as I.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
west tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I was impressed with this hotel as far as being clean and neat. I checked in Friday afternoon for I thought 2 nights. A friend had passed away and this was a quick trip. Friday night was good. Breakfast Sat. was good. Left for memorial service only to come back and be told I had checked out. Oh it was ok, they had a room but the price had doubled, from 99. to 189.00. I was humilated in front of a large crowd in the check in area as I said no way. I went up and packed and left. Thank you Holiday Inn for adding to a bad time.

Room Tip: I had a room over the pool which was closed but the design made road noise echo in this area.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Worcester, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were staying at this hotel to visit family in near by Harper's Ferry. Our first night was fantastic and the free breakfast is AMAZING! but that is as far as the good can go for me. During our second night I saw something move on my pillow out of the corner of my eye. After turning on the light, I found a bug on my pillow. Thinking nothing of it, I killed the bug. A huge pop of blood was left on my pillow. When I picked up my pillow, I found another bug on the underside of the pillow and a bug on my bed. I also spotted two tiny tiny red bugs on the bed. When using a tissue to dispose of the bugs, they all popped and left blood marks. I was very creeped out and began researching the bugs I had just found. Turns out they were bed bugs. GROSS!!!! The front desk was much less than helpful. At 4:00 am, I can understand not being able to do anything, but during the morning, we got the impression, they didn't really care about this situation.
We spoke to the manager and, at first, we were told we could have another room (we declined. we couldn't stay anymore, we cut our trip short) that our room was going to be decomissioned. We went to the store to buy ziploc garbage bags to put all our stuff in so we didn't bring any guests home. It seems we weren't packing up fast enough for the manager. She wanted us to be done so housekeeping could clean the room. When we reminded her that nobody should be in the room, she tried to cover herself, but didn't convince us. We are sure she is giving that room away again that night.
They don't seem to care there are bed bugs. She said they never heard any complaints before, but these bugs were not new. From the research I have done, there were bugs in various stages there, meaning they have been there for quite awhile.
I understand they cannot help getting these bugs, but everything should be done to remove them from the hotel. I will definately not be staying at this hotel every again. I cannot trust it to be clean anymore.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express of Charles Town Wv since they have opened back in 2007. This place used to be friendly, grade a, clean and perfect in every way. Now I check in and I'm lucky to get any of my requests or preferences met. They are under new management and this place has really gone down hill all the way. The staff is melancholy and the management obviously doesnt care about return business. I hope the new manager finds out how to run a hotel before that Hampton Inn opens up across the street! He just may lose more than half his staff and guests as unhappy as they are!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else where service matters.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charles Town? Share your experiences!