“Very friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Sussex
“Very friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

We had a very warm welcome from Sue. Having checked us into our room, she made sure we knew where we could eat, and gave several suggestions.

The room was spotlessly clean, and very large (see photo). Everything very comfortable. Compilementary breakfast, for a chain hotel was also very high standard. There was a good selection of cooked and cold food, along with helpful friendly staff. A comfortable bed and very quiet night. Complimentary WiFi was good. Pool was also good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Maumee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

We stayed the night here on the way back from Myrtle Beach with great expectations. Previously on the trip we stayed at another Holiday Inn Express that was very nice.

Check In
A bit of sticker shock, a $116 on a Sunday night for a motel in the middle of nowhere. Interestingly they seem to allow pets at this hotel since they had Pet treats in a bowl The lady at the desk was very pleasant and even handed me a bunch of pizza menu's when I inquired about any pizza places. I picked a place called Angelos Pizza since it sounded very itialian.

Room
The room was ok, it was one of those handicap rooms with an extra roomy bathroom that could accomidate someone with a wheelchair.

One of the draws to the hotel is the fact that all their beds are two queen sized beds rather than doubles. Verry nice bedding, pillows a great place to get a good nights sleep.

BTW when the pizza came we realized we didn't have anything to eat with in the way of plates, napkins and such. I went down to the breakfast room in search of these items. None to be found, No desk attendant to be found. Had to go back up to the room and improvise. Like the hotel, the pizza I found overpriced for the quality of it. I should have ordered dominos.

During our stay we discovered that there was a large family reunion staying in the hotel. They basically took over all of the common areas like the lobby, computer room, Swimming Pool, and breakfast area. If I would have known about this reunion in advance I would have gone accross the street to the Hampton.

The pool area was way to small, much smaller than most indoor pools I've seen.

One more thing, a rude lady was working the breakfast bar keeping it filled. My biggest dissapointment was that there was no sausage gravy for the bisquits. The other Holiday Inn Express had them.

• Liked — Nice Comfy Beds,
  • Disliked — Rude breakfast attendent, postage stamp sized pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winchester, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

We spent 3 nights in the Holiday Inn Express. This was not my first choice but I'm very thankful we ended up there. The rooms were large and clean, beds were comfortable, staff was helpful, breakfast was more than we expected. The hotel has a pool, workout facilities, and hottub. Each room had a microwave and refrigerator.

We were traveling with our 14 & 15 year old daughters. They enjoyed their stay as much as we did. We will definately stay here again.

• Liked — Well kept
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Wasaga Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

Travelling north with our cat. Hotel was clean and staff helpful. We had booked on their 800 number, and the people there did not know about hotel policies (e.g. pets only on third floor). We had to pay an extra $22. for the cat, who really couldn't afford it.
Room was quite clean, some dirt in the grout by the tub, which shouldn't have been there.
We were given a room at the front of the building, which was quite noisy due to road traffic. Ask for a room at the back of the building.
All things considered, we would stay there again.

Stayed May 2008
Tallmadge, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Comfortable stay. Some finish details missing ( like moulding around the bed and other moulding cracked). Ice machine on first floor out of order. Breakfast was ok. Morning staff at breakfast not all that helpful or engaging. Easy on off the highway.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Minor missing details (broken moulding and ice machine)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Clyde, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

We rode our motorcycles to the area from NC so we can color Va and Wv on our ride map.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. After being assigned a room, we asked about parking and the Front Desk Clerk informed us that our bikes would be more secure parked out front as there is a security camera in that area. She then offered (without being asked) to switch us to a room where we could keep an eye on our bikes.

The room was very clean and the beds were the most comfy beds that I have ever slept on in a hotel.

Breakfast was "continental" style and everything was fresh.

We really enjoyed our stay and would stay here again whenever in the area.

• Liked — The beds. They were soooooooo comfy.
  • Disliked — Not sure. :)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Myrtle Beach, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

My family stayed here to go skiing at Winterplace in February 2007. Everything seemed fine until that night when my brother got up to use the restroom.

As he was getting out of the bed, he swung his legs over to stand up and struck the back of his calf into a protruding bracket on the bedframe. It hurt, but he thought he was okay. We went to try to ski the next morning and he could not get his ski boot on due to the pain and swelling. He sat and watched the rest of us ski for a few hours. We cut it short and left Winterplace so he would not be bored, thinking that it might be better in the morning. When we got back to the hotel that evening, we made a report on the bedframe and asked to have maintenance fix it, which they did. Apparently maintenance is a big issue there. As luck would have it, the next day, we got stuck on their elevator between floors for about 20 minutes.

The ). She was very dismissive of the whole thing saying she was not going next morning was no better, so he stayed at the hotel while went skiing for a few hours - again cutting it short.

We decided to just cut our losses on the trip and leave a day early because we did not want my brother to just hang out at the hotel bored to death. I was a little upset over it and asked to speak with the manager, Debra Trent, to advise her of what occurred since we never got a call from her about the incident.

She met with my brother and I in the lobby and it was immediately apparent that she was in a hurry and was not happy about being bothered by us. I told her about the injury and the resulting loss of skiing for my brother (tickets / skis had already been rentedto pay for our "fun time tickets". I told her that I was not asking for that, that I felt though that my brothers should be refunded. She said that she would comp a night of our stay and I told her to keep it. She comped it anyway.

She asked why he did not go to the hospital and I responded, "he banged his leg, he didn't break it." She said, "that is what my insurance is for." " he needs to go to the hospital for me to do anything."

I am glad she said that because when we got home, somehow that bang became infected (inside his leg) even though the skin wasn't broken. He eventually had to have it operated on to treat the infection.

My brother gave the hosital the hotels insurance information - as Trent instructed him to do. Weeks later he starts getting medical bills that had not been paid. He finally got in touch with the hotel's agent and he had no knowledge of the incident at all, saying she had never notified them. A couple weeks later, clooections started to call for my brother. He called the agent again and he said that Ms. Trent was not being cooperative with him by sending him the required information. So not only was she uncaring, dismissive and downright rude to us while we were there, she was still holding up the process and causing more problems for my brother months later. After she TOLD him to handle it this way.

Although the rest of the staff there was absolutely GREAT, I certainly would never stay there again with Debra Trent in charge. I work in the hospitality (resort) industry in Myrtle Beach and she wouldn't last here a month with her lack of professionalism and terrible attitude.

Spend your hard earned money where the management carse about their guests. In this instance, it wasn't the case.

• Liked — The staff other than the manager.
  • Disliked — The general manager.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Express Princeton / I-77? Share your experiences!