“pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in Princeton
Saint Robert, Missouri
“pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

After arriving at the Holiday Inn in Princeton, WV in a snow storm, we were welcomed with warm cookies and a great smiles from the staff. Our room was very clean and well spaced out for 2 adults and 2 children. The whole hotel was completely booked due to the inclement weather but you would never know it! It was very very quiet, pet friendly, and well stocked in the breakfast bar area. If you are traveling through I highly recommend it, especially if you are traveling with pets! The beds are EXTREMELY hard to the point my 5 year old asked if we were sleeping on boards, but if hard is what you like then you are in for a treat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Marietta, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I arrived at 200pm for a 10 hour stay the truck lot was about full so I asked the front desk manager If I could park in front of the trash dumpster and the girl said yes because I was leaving at midnight and the trash gets dumped at 400am...the girl at check in was freindly and helpful, the room was great, clean,comfy,well lit,good water pressure now heres where things go bad..at 400pm I was called by the front desk(a different girl than at 200pm) and told I have to move my truck because it was in front of the dumpster I said the manager told me to park there she said the maintenace man said I had to move it now! I had to get dressed because I was asleep, I went down about 10 mins later and the maintenance man told me to move because the trash truck couldnt get in ...I said I was told to park there by the manager but he didnt want to hear what I had to say and he got a very bad attitude with me I said I was told the trash didnt get picked up until after 400am and I was leaving at midnight..I went to complain to the girl at the desk(app 4:10-4:20 pm) she was very unapologetic of the situation, I went back to my room and had a hard time getting to sleep because I was aggrivated..when I checked out at midnight the girl was very freindly and passed onto the manager( Cindy) that I was aggrivated about what happened , to my surprise Cindy called me early the next morning and wanted to know what happened (she was the one who told me to park in front of dumpster) she apologized and offered to make it right with me..this was very good of her..I will try this place again the next time Im in the area...Its sad that two people caused this problem because of them being uninformed and not willing to listen to what I had to say...but I will say that the manager did go out of her way to try and fix the problem after she learned of what happened..hopefully I will not encounter the maintenance man with bad attitude next time..and I think things will go well..

Room Tip: be careful where you park or you may be woke up and told to move..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The staff here is very friendly and helpful. This is very accessible right off of I-77 with a lot of chain restaurants nearby. The breakfast here is your standard HI Express and seems to start a bit earlier for the business travelers than most hotels. That is a big help. You have a nice indoor pool and a very small fitness center with a couple of treadmills and a recumbent bike. The overall hotel is not quite as nice a many of the HI Expresses I have stayed in during my travels but it is OK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

I am a Priority Club Platinum guest so I stay in a lot of ICG properties so I have a regular standard that I expect . This property isnt bad but it isnt anything special either. Ivwas not offered any status perks but Im guessing that there is nothing to offer.

Location is good right off of 64 / 77. Afternoon check in staff was friendly. My main complaint is with the slow speed of thier wireless internet. This isnt an issue for casual travelers. But for those of us that require high speed connections throughout our stay to connect ti high bandwid h ERP systems it can be an issue.

I have stayed here multiple times and the experience has been the same.
Good property for the value but I wish they would. Upgrade their internet infrastructure to be more business traveller friendly.

• Stayed December 2012
greensboro nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed overnight to spend time with my daughter, who was giving birth in the hospital just a few miles away. Check in was quick, and the receptionist (Heather) was nice to recommend a good place for dinner. The room was clean and large...heard noise from other rooms tv's, but I just turned on the fan, and it was fine. Nice full breakfast, which was very enjoyable. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
alva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Margaret --- how can I tell you how wonderfull she is. I was tired from driving and just needed a quiet room. She could not have been more helpfull. I needed a room with 2 queen beds non- smoking. When I got to the hotel there was no room that I needed. But she checked one more time for me. As it happened somebody had just canceled their room and it was just what I needed. She didn't need to check one more time. She could have sent me on my way to look for another hotel. But she went the extra mile and looked for me. How can I ever thank her for all her help. I did talk to her other times as I walked threw the lobby. She was always as happy and helpfull. THANK-YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN. The room was clean and very comfortable. I stayed with my mother and we both had a good sleep. The breakfast was well stocked and fresh. Thank-you again from a very tired traveler.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lake City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent a week at this property and for the most part had a good stay. It is on the older side with thin ceilings, so if noise is a potential deal breaker, try to get a room on the 3rd floor. Other than that it was pretty quiet. Check in was a breeze and my room was of comparable size to most other standard HIE rooms I've stayed in. All rooms have a small fridge and microwave. The fridge can be tricky since it doesn't have a thermostat. It really cranks out the cold air freezing practically everything inside if its in there long enough, so I've learned along the way to crack the door periodically to act as the thermostat.

As one contributor said, there is a slight odor in the hallways and rooms, but that's probably due to the age of the building. It's not overpowering though and I really didn't lose any sleep over it. The beds are comfortable and housekeeping does a good job in the cleaning department. The 37 inch flat screen TV's are nice, but the internet here is really wacko. The speeds vary from dial up to fairly fast, back to crawling speed in the blink of an eye. Whether at 7am, noon or midnight it was always the same unpredicatbility in speeds. You're also prompted to enter a password to log back into the net even if the computer goes to sleep. The internet gets a 2 out of 5.

I noticed two breakfast attendants working here and they leave no stone left unturned. Same food selection as any HIE, but they do a superb job in cleaning keeping the pantry stocked. The gym is a little small and the equipment is useable, but along the lower end in quality and build. It didn't seem real busy during my week here, but I prefer it that way since I work at all hours during the day and night.

Additional nice touches....the local Bluefield newspaper slid under my door 7 days a week as a Platinum Elite member, cookies and candy at the front desk and for those with 4 legged friends, doggie biscuits also in the lobby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Princeton / I-77? Share your experiences!