“A little disappointed this time” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
AAA Member Savings
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
“A little disappointed this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel exactly one year prior to the weekend. We went this time as a get away to celebrate my birthday. I called to see if I could get a cheaper rate by talking to the hotel verses the on-line rate, sometimes that does help but not this time. When we arrived maintenance was working on the grounds appearance. We walked in to the fresh smell of popcorn.

We were greated promptly and assigned our room. We had a 2nd floor king room at the end of the hall - nice and quite. I was surprised to see the condition of the bathtub which you will see in the photos. And the venetian fabric blind needed replacement or repair - the cord which you pull to open and close the blind was extremely loud, loud enough to be heard overtop of a hairdryer in the bathroom! I don't recall ever staying at a Hampton Inn and there be chipped places in the tu or a noisey blind. Everything else was the standard Hampton Inn quality.

My husband and I sat out for our evening. Upon our return we thought, ok let's go to the jacuzzi to rest and relax. What a surprise - the jacuzzi was gone! We immediately went to the front desk to inquire and was told it had been removed a couple of months ago due to maintenance issues. I didn't bother to check the hotel website before we went since we had stayed there before - so note to those who have stayed before and enjoyed the jacuzzi - it's gone! And they have removed that information from their website.

Then I noticed the popcorn machine. It was a self serve machine. I watched an individual open the doors, take the bag for the popcorn and begin to scoop the popcorn into the bag, and while not all kernels fell into the bag some dropped back down while hitting the indiviudal's hand/arm. So without sanitary gloves to wear I felt - no way would I get popcorn. Personally it would have been better in my opinion that it be served by the hotel staff who could wear gloves - would be much more sanitary.

Then there was the popcorn all over the floor between the front desk to the elevator - some of it was still there the next morning. I just didn't feel that housekeeping was staying up with the appearance of the main areas as good as they did a year prior. Granted this was a Friday night but still I felt they just were not on top of things as well.

Then we get to the breakfast time. The food we ate was good, but I noticed many of the table tops needed to be wiped down and that wasn't being done, the breakfast staff were not interacting with the guest at all.

Overall if I travel back through that area and need a place to stay I'm sure I would stay there again, I just wouldn't expect it to be the quality it was the first time I stayed there - the beds are still comfortable, the rooms very clearn - just a little disappointing in the extras on this trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Christiansburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here for one night and it was a very enjoyable stay. We had a nice room at the end of the hall. Our room was spacious and clean. We liked the three sided mirror around the bathroom sink. The friendly woman at the front desk said the hotel was full but we never heard anyone else from inside our room. Our only complaint would the small indoor pool. It was crowded with kids and we were unable to take a swim.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I like beds and room here more than holiday Inn. Desk is very convenient to work, they do more variaty in the breakfast. Staff helpful and very good as well. Rooms are clean. Things to improve? Gym equipment is old, almost to weights to do a full workout. Comforters look like to "washed" or something, they do not look flat, have balls all over the place.

Room Tip: This is the best pick I have found in this area,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Flatwoods, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I spent the night here while on a business trip in Princeton and it was a good choice. There are several hotels in the same location and I haven't stayed at any of those, but I was really pleased with the Hampton Inn. I always try to stay at Hamptons because they are pretty consistent when it comes to comfort, cleanliness, and a good breakfast. This Hampton does appear to be a bit older, but my room was very nice. The sheets and duvet were spotless, crisp, and bright white. The towels were bright white. Granite in the bathroom. Curved shower rod, very clean shower. Nice desk area with excellent lighting. Comfortable beds, quiet hotel. Lobby is nice and the breakfast area was very clean and plenty of seating. Pastries, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, cereal, and fresh fruit was available for breakfast. Awesome stay. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed here on way back to Myrtle Beach. Was very impressed with this location, the hotel is either new or recently renovated and is clean and well maintained. Lots of restaurants in immediate vicinity / walking distance. Front desk staff prompt and friendly.

There is a small pool and my daughter and I enjoyed burning off some energy after a day on the road. I also used the treadmill in the exercise room and the equipment was in good working order.

One other plus is that there are two elevators so you are not waiting too long to go up or down.

My wife and daughter were not too thrilled about the options for the continental breakfast so we opted to eat out.

In any case, a good choice if you are staying in Princeton. The Holiday Inn is also good - I stayed there on the way down to Myrtle Beach and I'll be submitting a review for this also.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mentor, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Room was clean, Hampton washes the Duvet between guests. Breakfast left something to be desired. It was clear that the employee putting the breakfast out could care less about the quality. Waffle mix was as thin as water, OJ was way over concentrated, Apple juice was empty, eggs were chopped in tiny pieces (a fork was useless). Little things like that that detracted from an otherwise 4.5 or 5 rated stay, too bad.

Room Tip: Request a room at the end of the hall. Thin doors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This looks like a very nice hotel and I probably could have fouond out if I could have gotten the attention of the front desk attendant who was too busy talking on the phone to actually attend the front desk. I waited for about five minutes, made a trip to the bathroom and then waited another five minutes before leaving. All the while, the attendant was loudly complaining to someone about a third party who apparently disrespected her in some way. So much for customer service!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Princeton? Share your experiences!