“Would stay here again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turnpike Motel

Turnpike Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Princeton
Turnpike Motel
Save Saved
You added Turnpike Motel to your Saves list
815 Oakvale Road, Princeton, WV 24740   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Princeton B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Would stay here again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This motel was inexpensive and I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and the bathroom remodeled. There was also a fridge and microwave.The bed was comfortable and I did not hear any traffic noise. Most important for me, there weren't any musty odors or cigarette smells!!
Along with the accommodations, what impressed me were the owners. I had left something at the motel, and they went out of their way to track me down and return my item. If I am in the area again and need a place to stay, it will definitely be the Turnpike Motel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great Place! Nice clean place for a reasonable price. There were microwaves and fridges in the rooms which is very helpful with small children. Great staff or owners; not sure. They treated us like we were old friends. Would stay here again

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The lady at the desk told me that she took pride in the appearance of the rooms and she evidently meant it. The room was small but well appointed. The bath fixtures looked new and the beds boasted a clean pillow top mattress. There was a microwave and refrigerator in the room but no hair dryer or iron. Ice was available from the front office. It was overpriced due to Tiger Woods playing a tournament in the area but so was everywhere else with very limited availability. Overall, a place where I would stay again if I could get a better rate.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

I've never given a hotel a truly negative review, but this one earned it.

1. Road Noise: This place is aptly named Turnpike Motel. The road noise from every semi, kid with a loud stereo, car accelerating or car door closing permeate our room all night long.

2. Light outside of room (on the building exterior) was bright and came through the curtains all night long.

3. The bathroom was in need of significant repair. The linoleum on the floor was torn and filthy. The fiberglas bath tub had holes in it where the towel and wash cloth holders should have been.

4. I paid $55 night for this dump.

5. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My family and I have traveled a lot in the last 5 years. (somewhere around 20 +motels a year). When it comes to motels, we have seen the worst.... trust me. We've stayed at several small motels and large chains. When we pulled up to the Turnpike Motel, we were greeted by a gentlemen with a great personality. We actually talk to him for 20 minutes before we went to the room. I figured the room would be about average maybe less based on our price, no chain, and experience with such. This place gets 5 stars from us. We don't write reviews but we had to about this place. Very very clean! They had microwaves and fridges, free internet, and The bathroom is usually where i get a little grossed out. Not here! The bathroom was very clean and looked newly remodeled! The beds were so comfortable I had to ask who made them. The guy told me that is one of the most common things people ask him about. Seally Reserve I think he said. They had pillow tops and they were great! Cleaner than all of the chain hotels we've stayed in, hands down. When you go to a small hotel like this you expect it to be really bad. Instead we were pleasantly surprised, this place is well worth the visit if your looking to save some money and get a great room. Who isn't? We will stay here every chance we get! I recommend this place.

Room Tip: Seally Reserve Pillow top beds, if you get a chance, buy one!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We had the misfortune of being in the room adjacent to reception. The sign on the door reads: "For night service, ring the bell three times." And believe me, people did -- because I heard every @^$%^&$ ring. Even though the place was full early (rain and wind got people off the road early), the bell rang as late as 11:30 pm. Then it started again at 6 am. It wasn't until we checked out that I realized there was also a bell that sounded every time the reception door was opened. So it rang when someone entered reception and it rang again when someone left. When we complained the next morning, the reception person said no one had ever mentioned hearing the bell during the last two years (I assume that's how long they have owned/operated it, because it is much, much older than that.) I find that hard to believe.

If we hadn't been tired and desperate, we'd have looked for something else. The room was minimally and cheaply decorated (I use that word loosely.). The bed was so soft that even my partner, who prefers a soft bed, said his back hurt the next morning. There was one nightstand, but no bedside light. I had to move the nightstand forward (exposing the dirt under it) and move a floor light over by the bed in order to read in bed. The TV was an 18-incher and old (not a flat screen).

I've stayed in many budget motels, but this one is among the lowest of the low. Laughable, we were offered a discount on our next stay for our "inconvenience." I assured tha man there would NOT be a next time. I'll sleep in my car before I sleep here again.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Turnpike Motel? Share your experiences!