“More than a Hotel, a destination!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lowe Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Point Pleasant
The Lowe Hotel
You added The Lowe Hotel to your Saves list
Fourth and Main Streets, Point Pleasant, WV 25550   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Point Pleasant
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Greensboro, North Carolina
“More than a Hotel, a destination!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Lowe is a gracious and charming turn of the century grand hotel. It drips ambiance, and there are fascinating books, curiosities and antiques at every turn. It is a wonderful place to explore - hence a destination in it's own right. The grand ballroom and banquet room are most excellent, and a second floor parlor is provided to pass a lazy afternoon. We absolutely loved the Lowe and will return. That said, some expectations were lacking. In general the rooms were some what lacking in neatness and cleanliness and daily 'service' was limited to emptying the trash and adding a roll of tissue. There are few electrical outlets and WiFi is spotty at best. The mattress in our room (206) badly needed an update and a/c are window units only, remember there was NO a/c in 1901. It looked like the current owners were in the process of up dating more of the hotel (like rowing up river and winning). Dining options in Point Pleasant are severely limited (not the fault of the Lowe). All in all, we had a very good experience for our Silver wedding anniversary in a neat, historical quirky Americana town. If you are looking for the Holiday Inn, the Lowe is probably not for you. If you are looking for a unique,more comfortable than not experience, book a trip today. Oh - and there are ghost. We experience two.
P.S. I think we will ask for rooms 211 or 310 the next time. They had the right feel for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Newtown, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Do not expect a gym or valet parking, or updated furnishings, or concierge, or air conditioning in your room and certainly not a pool. However what you can expect is a 30 room brick hotel dating back to 1910. Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner Rush who had been sitting in his recliner facing the door. It was as though we were entering a living room despite the 25 ft. ceiling , front desk and various antiques as well as the grand marble staircase.
We checked in and Rush showed us various rooms all different in decor and layouts.
The carpets were threadbare,the furnishings dated and a microwave plus a window air conditioner in each room.I honestly wanted to leave, but we had driven a distance and we were tired.

In the lobby we met several guests who had been there before, they talked about the history of the hotel and the reports of hauntings and strange happenings. This was intriguing.
Rush had proudly showed us his hotel, pointed out the bar and the art gallery that was recently added by his wife. They were in the midst of creating a modern suite,complete with oversized jacuzzi.
It was certainly not the type of hotel we are accustomed to, but the owners warm welcome and pride in their hotel made it an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: You probably will be able to take your pick.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed one wonderful night in the Lowe Hotel while traveling to the Midwest. The hotel is a perfect stay for an experience you cannot get many places. There is obvious history in all aspects of the hotel. The owners, Rush and Ruth provide wonderful hospitality. I can definitely see my husband and I staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Kaiserslautern
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Ruth and Rush have this property since 1990 and take great pride in it. It was built in 1902 and has been wonderfully maintained. The lobby is stunning as well as the banquet room and common parlor. Louis Tiffany stained glass windows, a European style ceramic fireplace, marble staircase and columns are a few of this buildings gifts. The rooms are individually decorated with great care. Air conditioning is window units and windows are the original construction. They price very competitively and the site is next to the riverside park which is worth visiting. If you have a problem, Ruth will do whatever she can to accommodate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Huntington, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I were going to take a weekend for the first time since our baby girl was born 8 months ago. Arrived at the hotel and I have been there before but it was years ago so I knew that it was old and they were "updating" it. I was checked in by the owner Russ who seemed nice enough although I am pretty sure he had been drinking or someone had been I could smell it pretty strong. We asked if he would happen to have a crib he said he would check with his wife and let me know. We ventured up to the room and was in the room no more than 5 minutes when Russ showed up with a crib that looked as though someone had died in it. It was so stained and dirty there was NO way my 8 month old baby was sleeping in it. We didn't say anything and just decided to run to Walmart in Gallipolis to see if they had a pack and play that we could purchase with the intention of giving it to the hotel after our nights stay. On the way to walmart I received a call that a family member was ill and that we need to return to Huntington, so I called the hotel to inform them we could not stay and Russ said thats fine since we had not been in the room for more a few minutes and hadn't disturbed it he would refund our money. I returned to the hotel to give them the key back and that's when everything went down hill. The owners wife was at the front desk, I handed her the key and she said "Have fun with whatever" I said what about the charge to my card Russ said he would refund the money. She said we don't give refunds we can work something out the next time you stay. I asked really this is how you run your business. She said and I quote "its our business and I will run it however I want" I was really shocked because I was being totally taken for $88 for NOTHING. She became very hateful the whole time Russ never said a word and wouldn't even look my direction. So long story short. I did not get a refund and we did not stay at the hotel. Really a bad experience. I have stayed and should have stayed this time at the William Anne just a few minutes from Point Pleasant owned by the nicest couple and the rooms are Huge, New Flat Panel TV's and Clean and only $55 a night. I wanted to try the Lowe again because it is "Quaint and Antique" that's code for old and dirty!

Room Tip: Go to the William Anne only a few minutes away great value clean and you will not regret it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pembroke
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Me & my husband stayed here for 1 night and wished we had longer to stay. This is a very cool building over 100 years old. It was probably for the wealthy at the time it was built. It has everything you need: Nice clean comfortable (4 post) bed, small TV with cable, window A/C unit, clean tub/shower, soap, shampoo and clean linens. The room was like walking into someone's bedroom. It was comfortable and cozy. The walls are thick, the doors are orginal complete with a skeleton key! The bathroom is really outdated but it is original and I didn't have a problem with it. There are cobwebs, but with the extra high ceilling that is to be expected. If you are looking for the classic cookie cutter hotel - do not stay here. If you like old buildings or are into historical places, you should check this place out. Everyone in town was nice! Overall, I just loved this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Axton, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Having wanted to visit Point Pleasant for some time and finding myself crossing the area on the way to a wedding, I decided to go out on a limb and try The Lowe Hotel out- I have absolutely no regrets.

The interior is just as beautiful, if not more so, as pictures portray. While the lobby smells of stale tobacco smoke, it was not so much as to aggrivate my allergies. The room I stayed in, 201, was very fresh and clean with a nice bed and an atmosphere that made it feel like home. The bathroom was small, but well kept and fully functional with hot water. The only potential problem I could find was that the only air conditioning was a very loud window unit, which could complicate things in the dead of summer. However, even in late spring, simply opening the vent was enough to let in cool air and keep things comfortable.

As to the hotel being haunted, I did experience what sounded like my door handle rattling at night, but with no one present outside. At no given time did I ever feel threatened, which is important to note, although the Victorian facade and shadowy nature of the building may cause some people to feel uneasy; that, I suspect, is simply the imagination at work.

When it comes to the staff, the hotel is family owned and while someone may not always be at the front desk, those who keep the building are extremely personable and more than happy to give advice to local attractions, diners, etc. The bottom line? If you're in the area and don't care to risk the hit-or-miss motels, the Lowe is exceptional. At the time of my stay, I payed ~$66 a night after tax which was extremely reasonable in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Lowe Hotel? Share your experiences!