“No electric getaway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Philippi
Philippi,WV
“No electric getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here once back in the summer. There had been a bad storm come through town and our electric was out over a week. I am on oxygen so we decided to stay at the hotel for a night to cool down and for me to get some air. Our room was small. On the second floor. It wasn't the best place ,but it was better than sweating to death at home. It was good in a pinch.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chapmanville, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This place is horrible, i was afraid to even sleep on the beds,, the carpet was so nasty i kept my shoes on was afraid to take them off,,, the covers on the bed were horribly nasty stains all over them and they were so stiff you could tell wasn't washed for a very long time come on people very beautiful place to visit but no decent place to stay,,,, and no good places to eat, the food next door was barely eatable and after i saw who came out of the kitchen no wonder ,,, all i can say is fix this place up and please clean everything... nasty, nasty, nasty....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Philippi hotels

Urbana, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

my wife stayed at the motel 3 nights in October, now called the mountaineer something.
The room as dirty, and they woke her up with a wake up call the first night. She had not requested this, and was hoping to catch up on sleep. The motel was noisy at night.
The toilet leaked, so she requested another room. When I talked to the manager, she accuse my wife of knocking on someone's door on the SECOND floor in the middle of the night, and denied the toilet leaked. She took $20 off our bill, and hung up on me..This place sucks.

Room Tip: avoid this motel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hotel has changed hands several times in the last 10 or 15 years. Hotel is in decent shape and would certainly qualify as a budget hotel. The appointments are appropriate for the price paid and the insect fauna add a nice touch. Some garbage on the floor but… also there was hair on the floor in the bathroom. There was hair in the bathtub too. Gross. There was some other dead bugs on the floor too but at least they sprayed. The tiles around the bathtub and a nice thick layer of dust on it. I am glad I do not have a black light app for my phone. Else I may find things I do not want to see. Oh yeah, there is a scum line in the bathtub.

• Stayed August 2012
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our group had reservations for a trip in September. We already had the price and tried to get a contract for 2 weeks. My husband called today and because new owners took over and raised the prices, they cancelled our reservations. If this was the only motel in West Virginia, we wouldn't go there.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Morgantown, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Clean hotel, comfortable bed, needed plumper pillows or put extra on the bed. Friendly people. Our room had small fridge and microwave, but no coffeepot. Coffee was only available in the lobby in the mornings, I kinda like a cup of coffee at night sometimes. Ladies, there is no hair dryer or shampoo in bath, however if you go to front desk they will give you shampoo and loan you a hairdryer.

Room Tip: Our room was quite roomy. I seen in another room when they were cleaning and it did have a little m...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I am never the type to complain, but I felt so badly about my experience that I had to make sure any other traveler would know the problems with this hotel before they had to suffer the same experience.

I had to make a last minute hotel reservation because of a death in the family, and my first thought was of the Budget Inn because of my previous experiences there when it was the Super 8 and because my family likes to stay there (for the annual family reunion and other events) and enjoys the diner next door. When I called, the woman on the phone let me know that she hardly had any rooms left and that the ones that were left were all jacuzzi rooms. I told her that I was coming in town for a funeral and that I would be with my sister and her young son so we didn't need a jacuzzi, but we were willing to take the jacuzzi room because it had a king size bed that we would all be able to share. She asked that I call back in two hours because she wanted to see if there was anything that could be done about the price since we were coming in town for a funeral and those were the only rooms she had left. I called back two hours later, and the woman advised me that she was able to find a non-jacuzzi room and extend the funeral rate. I asked if the room had a king bed and she replied that she was uncertain, but that it may only be a queen size. However, she said we could request a roll-away if necessary (though, that was not a realistic option for us because my nephew would not sleep in a different bed than his mother). I went ahead and reserved the room because it was 8:00 p.m. on the evening before we would be heading into town and we had to get on the road early the next day to get there in time for the viewing. I figured that the three of us might be kind of "cozy" in a queen, but we were too short on time for me to explore other options when this one might work and because the rest of my family would be there as well. When we arrived the next day to check in, the lady at the front desk advised that the room we were reserved for only had a full size bed and asked if we wanted a roll-away. I told her what the lady had told me the previous evening, and the woman checking us in did not know why the other woman had been so confused or why she would have told us that we would have at least a queen size bed. I told the lady at the counter that a roll-away would not work, and I requested a jacuzzi room so we could have a bigger bed, and I was prepared to pay a cost difference since I really did not have time to find another hotel now that we were in town and it was only 2 hours until the viewing. The woman checking us in said that her jacuzzi rooms that she had left were only full size, but that she had a jacuzzi room that would have a pull-out full size sleeper sofa. We opted for that room and they gave us a $10 discount. Once in the room, I took the top comforter off the bed (as I do in every hotel that I stay in), only to discover that the fuzzy blanket under that had a caked, yellow stain on it (something that may have come out if it had been washed). I had to remove that blanket and had to request a new one. After we returned from the viewing and we went to prepare the sleeper sofa for bed, we removed the cushions and there were so many food crumbs underneath that it could have been the remnants of someone's entire meal. Not only that, but the crumbs were on the mattress of the sleeper sofa as well and there were no sheets on the mattress. Requesting sheets would not have made us feel better about sleeping on that mattress after what we saw. I went to the front desk to report what we found and asked for them to double-check for any other room, but the only one left would have been just like ours except it was a smoking room. As non-smokers with a 3 year old, this simply would not work and it was now 10:30 p.m. - there was nothing we could do to find another hotel or we would have. The three of us spent a very uncomfortable night in a full-size bed, and we were still charged almost full price for an additional bed that we did not even get to use (the jacuzzi was not used either, but that was beside the point). To top all of this off, the room was overrun by lady bugs. I understand that people think they are good luck, but it was a little much because they were all over the walls and I had about 15 of them join me in the shower.

The only things that I can think to say were good about the stay were that the woman checking us in was genuinely apologetic and was as helpful as she could have been, given the circumstances, and the Disney Channel was good for my nephew. This hotel has been regularly patronized by family over the last 15 years (at least), and it is unfortunate that I have to say I will never stay there again (and neither will my sister nor my aunt and cousins that had similarly unpleasant experiences this time).

I truly hope this message serves to warn future patrons.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mountaineer Inn? Share your experiences!