“Any port in a storm. Except we weren't in a storm. Please read.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Mountaineer Inn to your Saves list
Mountaineer Inn
14928 Junior-Philippi-Grafton Road, Philippi, WV 26416   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Philippi
“Any port in a storm. Except we weren't in a storm. Please read.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hotel has changed hands several times in the last 10 or 15 years. Hotel is in decent shape and would certainly qualify as a budget hotel. The appointments are appropriate for the price paid and the insect fauna add a nice touch. Some garbage on the floor but… also there was hair on the floor in the bathroom. There was hair in the bathtub too. Gross. There was some other dead bugs on the floor too but at least they sprayed. The tiles around the bathtub and a nice thick layer of dust on it. I am glad I do not have a black light app for my phone. Else I may find things I do not want to see. Oh yeah, there is a scum line in the bathtub.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our group had reservations for a trip in September. We already had the price and tried to get a contract for 2 weeks. My husband called today and because new owners took over and raised the prices, they cancelled our reservations. If this was the only motel in West Virginia, we wouldn't go there.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Philippi hotels

Morgantown, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Clean hotel, comfortable bed, needed plumper pillows or put extra on the bed. Friendly people. Our room had small fridge and microwave, but no coffeepot. Coffee was only available in the lobby in the mornings, I kinda like a cup of coffee at night sometimes. Ladies, there is no hair dryer or shampoo in bath, however if you go to front desk they will give you shampoo and loan you a hairdryer.

Room Tip: Our room was quite roomy. I seen in another room when they were cleaning and it did have a little m...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I am never the type to complain, but I felt so badly about my experience that I had to make sure any other traveler would know the problems with this hotel before they had to suffer the same experience.

I had to make a last minute hotel reservation because of a death in the family, and my first thought was of the Budget Inn because of my previous experiences there when it was the Super 8 and because my family likes to stay there (for the annual family reunion and other events) and enjoys the diner next door. When I called, the woman on the phone let me know that she hardly had any rooms left and that the ones that were left were all jacuzzi rooms. I told her that I was coming in town for a funeral and that I would be with my sister and her young son so we didn't need a jacuzzi, but we were willing to take the jacuzzi room because it had a king size bed that we would all be able to share. She asked that I call back in two hours because she wanted to see if there was anything that could be done about the price since we were coming in town for a funeral and those were the only rooms she had left. I called back two hours later, and the woman advised me that she was able to find a non-jacuzzi room and extend the funeral rate. I asked if the room had a king bed and she replied that she was uncertain, but that it may only be a queen size. However, she said we could request a roll-away if necessary (though, that was not a realistic option for us because my nephew would not sleep in a different bed than his mother). I went ahead and reserved the room because it was 8:00 p.m. on the evening before we would be heading into town and we had to get on the road early the next day to get there in time for the viewing. I figured that the three of us might be kind of "cozy" in a queen, but we were too short on time for me to explore other options when this one might work and because the rest of my family would be there as well. When we arrived the next day to check in, the lady at the front desk advised that the room we were reserved for only had a full size bed and asked if we wanted a roll-away. I told her what the lady had told me the previous evening, and the woman checking us in did not know why the other woman had been so confused or why she would have told us that we would have at least a queen size bed. I told the lady at the counter that a roll-away would not work, and I requested a jacuzzi room so we could have a bigger bed, and I was prepared to pay a cost difference since I really did not have time to find another hotel now that we were in town and it was only 2 hours until the viewing. The woman checking us in said that her jacuzzi rooms that she had left were only full size, but that she had a jacuzzi room that would have a pull-out full size sleeper sofa. We opted for that room and they gave us a $10 discount. Once in the room, I took the top comforter off the bed (as I do in every hotel that I stay in), only to discover that the fuzzy blanket under that had a caked, yellow stain on it (something that may have come out if it had been washed). I had to remove that blanket and had to request a new one. After we returned from the viewing and we went to prepare the sleeper sofa for bed, we removed the cushions and there were so many food crumbs underneath that it could have been the remnants of someone's entire meal. Not only that, but the crumbs were on the mattress of the sleeper sofa as well and there were no sheets on the mattress. Requesting sheets would not have made us feel better about sleeping on that mattress after what we saw. I went to the front desk to report what we found and asked for them to double-check for any other room, but the only one left would have been just like ours except it was a smoking room. As non-smokers with a 3 year old, this simply would not work and it was now 10:30 p.m. - there was nothing we could do to find another hotel or we would have. The three of us spent a very uncomfortable night in a full-size bed, and we were still charged almost full price for an additional bed that we did not even get to use (the jacuzzi was not used either, but that was beside the point). To top all of this off, the room was overrun by lady bugs. I understand that people think they are good luck, but it was a little much because they were all over the walls and I had about 15 of them join me in the shower.

The only things that I can think to say were good about the stay were that the woman checking us in was genuinely apologetic and was as helpful as she could have been, given the circumstances, and the Disney Channel was good for my nephew. This hotel has been regularly patronized by family over the last 15 years (at least), and it is unfortunate that I have to say I will never stay there again (and neither will my sister nor my aunt and cousins that had similarly unpleasant experiences this time).

I truly hope this message serves to warn future patrons.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed with my wife while wife while attending a conference at the college. The motel is going through a remodeling but the room was spacious and clean. The front desk personel were very friendly.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Somewhere in America
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

This was formerly the Super 8 motel. Kind of out of the way. Several miles from town. Seemingly in the middle of nowhere.
Check in was fine. Nice clean room and bathroom.
The frame construction of this motel makes for a noisy stay. My room was on the first floor and you could hear every step I took on the carpeted wood floors.
And, since it's the only place in town, it's popular with traveling work crews. The noise coming through the ceiling from the 2nd floor was horrendous.
My traveling partner asked to be moved to the 2nd floor for the 2nd night we stayed and said there was a moving party between rooms for half the night.
Then, to top it all off for me, someone was running the vacuum in the hallway outside of my room at 6AM.
If I were to do it again, I'd spend a little more time in the car and stay at the nearby State Park.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Staten Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

This is a very small motel outside Philippi WV. First time we stayed here, we were here for 3 days visiting family with 2 small children. Was a Super 8, but no longer, the sign is behind the dumpster. It was okay to sleep here, they had coffee at the front desk, always someone there. We needed a rollaway which they had. Friendly family run motel, my husband spoke to the staff at times. The negative, no pool or gameroom for the kids, but we were out all day with family so it was not a problem. Overall our stay here was fine, there is a small restaurant down from the motel, we ate breakfast once, food was average. Waitress was friendly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mountaineer Inn? Share your experiences!