“Covered Bridge Bed & Breakfast? How do I love thee!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Covered Bridge B & B

The Covered Bridge B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philippi
The Covered Bridge B & B
You added The Covered Bridge B & B to your Saves list
14 North Walnut Street, Philippi, WV 26416   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Philippi B&B and Inns
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Covered Bridge Bed & Breakfast? How do I love thee!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I can't possibly count the ways! Gad! I can't stand Elizabeth Barrett Browning, but at least I liked this line enough to alter it to praise something that I do like ... the Covered Bridge B&B in Philippi, (W.) Virginia. I'm not going to repeat the encomiums that have already covered the ordinary points the ordinary usually look for in a top-rate B&B. That would be repetitive, trite and just so boring, and I'm nothing if not "out of the ordinary." Rather let's talk about Susan's encyclopedic knowledge of Philippi and Civil War history and Gordon's bubbling enthusiasm for outdoor sports of all kinds. Want to talk the Battle of Philippi? Susan knows it inside out. Want to talk scuba diving? Fly fishing? Hunting? Gordon's been there, done that. For me, staying with the Gordons is like staying with old friends, which is why I keep coming back time and time again. So, by now, we really are old friends!! Oh, and that house ... yeah, that's pretty darn fantastic, too. And why would you want to watch TV when you have the run of the fantastic library? The taste in books is better than the library on my college's campus ... nothing by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, thank goodness!

Faithfully yours,
Martin Rice, Johnstown, Penna.

Room Tip: Abbey's Room is my favorite--private bath, of course!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Philippi, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

As being a native Barbour Countian for 60 yrs I recently had the pleasure of meeting the owners Mr & Mrs Gordon Church an they graciously showed me thru this beautiful historical landmark..... Love The Stately Architecture and I am not sure how many other local residence of Philippi have really appreciated this home and business as much as I have enjoyed this place...

Attention All Travellers seeking local lodging....stop by and be taken back in time as Susan and Gordon show their home and historical icon of Philippi, WV area....

Room Tip: Just visit when your in Philippi and I am confident that you will enjoy the historic ambiance..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sharpsburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Susan and Gordon have lovingly restored this charming Victorian mansion in the heart of historic Philippi. The woodwork is amazing and the large public rooms reminded us of a southern plantation home. Our room, Abby's Room, was very comfortable and the breakfast was hearty and delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing the historic town and learning its Civil War history.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Southern IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We spent 2 nights at this wonderful B&B. It is an old historic home that is restored to its original beauty and charm. The woodwork and wood floors are beautiful. I have never seen a more gorgeous historic home. We loved it here. The owners are very friendly. We walked to the bridge and to eat dinner in a local pub. We were there in the fall and the colors were beautiful. It is an out of the way small town, that we thoroughly enjoyed. We stayed in a room in the main house with private bath. No TV in the room which was fine with us. There are 2 sitting rooms, each with a TV that we used in the evening for a an hour. Wifi worked well for my husband's laptop. A very nice breakfast in the morning. No complaints at all. Would definitely stay with them again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

Last weekend, my aunt, 2 cousins and I stayed at The Covered Bridge Bed and Breakfast in Philippi, WV. I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful weekend we had. The B and B has been recently renovated and in addition to having bedrooms in the main house, the Carriage House (where we stayed) is also available. The Carriage House has a living room, full kitchen, 2 bedrooms and a full bath...including claw foot bathtub! Although we didn't stay in the main house, we were permitted to use all the facilities inside...library, women's room, sitting area, etc. The bedrooms in the main house are spacious and beautifully decorated. The history is amazing and the owners are extremely knowledgable and hospitable. Breakfast was delicious and in addition to fresh baked muffins also included a hot entree and raspberry coffee. And the stay was incredibley affordable! Downtown Philippi is charming and has a great pizza place called Henderson's Heavenly Slice. The pizza is delicious. They also make wonderful coffee. Nearby is the Tygart River where you can walk, hike and even kayak. It is breathtaking. I highly recommend visiting the area and staying at this B and B.

• Liked — Spacioius, comfortable
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philippi
Bicentennial Inn, Home of 88 Restaurant and Lounge
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg
4.5 of 5 stars 233 reviews

Been to The Covered Bridge B & B? Share your experiences!