“Good First Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paw Paw
Avalon Resort
Save Saved
You added Avalon Resort to your Saves list
223 Avalon Lane, Paw Paw, WV 25434   |
Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania
“Good First Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed on 12 July 2013. I am a first-time visitor to a nudist resort. I am a senior single and did it as a last minute whim. I enjoyed it immensely. Avalon was probably a very good start. Both the staff and the patrons were extraordinarily open and friendly. Realize that I have no experience to make a good comparison to other nudist facilities. I give it 4 stars because of that. The lodge is very clean, but old, and delivers Motel 6-level accommodations at Hilton-level prices ($120). However, that price includes access to the facilities for which they normally charge $40 a day. The resort includes campgrounds, rental condos, and privately-owned trailers and condos, as well as the lodge. The pools (indoor and outdoor) and other facilities appear well-maintained. I enjoyed the nature trails, though they are not marked well enough for a novice like me. In two tries, I could not follow the Green trail and had to switch to the Red or Yellow. Not a significant problem because it was always possible to get visual bearings with an electrical clear zone running through the property. I had buffet for dinner ($13) that was tasty and plentiful. Included breakfast was typical motel fair with chipped beef and gravy as the meat course, soggy pre-cooked waffles (just toast them first) and scrambled eggs.

Bottom line is that it was a good experience for me at a facility that met all my expectations for the price.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms look out over the Front Lawn which is normally sparsely used. Other side faces...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Greenbackville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend our 4th of July weekend at a new (to us) resort and found Avalon.
A few issues jumped out at us pretty quickly that need to be addressed by the staff of Avalon.
First the glaring safety issues (that could very well lead to lawsuits if not addressed).
1. The cement around the indoor pool is not textured at all for wet feet. I know not to run around the pool but I saw many people slipping all over around the pool. I myself slipped and fell twice and I knew it was slick. The tile in the bathrooms adjacent to the pool was even slicker as standard white ceramic tile (again not textured) was selected.
2. The entire campgrounds were unlighted and being the resort is located in the mountains extremely dark. Being that the roads are gravel and rutted out due to running water completely unpassable if you do not think ahead and have a flashlight.

Also as noted in other reviews there is absolutely no cell coverage at the resort, glad they got wireless at the lodge/bar (apparantly last year).

A few negatives (not safety related):
1. The bar is EXTREMELY small and drinks are expensive ($4 for a can of local beer).
2. The day fees/tent camping fees are very high in comparrison to "local" resorts. Whitetail is about $57/night for grounds/tent camping fees while Avalon is $75/night grounds/tent camping.

All in all it is a nice resort with potential but my wife and I will probably not be visiting again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I wrote a rave review the last time we were at Avalon for the music festival. This time my experience and impression was a lot more mixed, unfortunately.

On the pro side, the resort is very beautiful and peaceful in the daytime and fun and exciting at night with dances and live bands. It's still a hidden gem. We enjoy the camping which is very reasonable and the nude pool and hot tub are enjoyable as well. Most of the people are friendly and it's a great place to get naked and enjoy the great outdoors and nature. It's family friendly and refreshing to see grandparents with their grandkids enjoying themselves together at a nudist resort. The kids seem very comfortable with their bodies and were a joy to watch dancing and hula hooping on the lawn. I find this more healthy and wholesome than most family activities.

On the negative side we were there for the much hyped FaerieFest which was not very well attended at all. The best part about it was the advertisement which featured glossy flyers that were magical and enticing. Great PR job, but It just didn't live up to expectations. There were a few vendors selling jewelry and such and the food was mediocre at best, and costly for what was offered. It's much better to bring your own food and cook out there. The photographer had a nice set up and we enjoyed that, and the drinks were decent but expensive. The FaerieFest didn't seem to have much to offer other than a little music and They did not follow the schedule at all and the faerie parade consisted of two people. Events were scheduled on the lawn until 9 PM when the dance started but there was absolutely nothing going on after 6 PM, despite a good number of people sitting on the lawn waiting for nothing. The only thing I saw was the faerie fire ring put on by one fairy dancer who did her best to entertain single handedly most of the day and evening. There was no advertised sing along or Dragon Dance or Faerie Flight. Most people felt let down by the lack of planning for this event. It had great potential but didn't live up to it at all. I hope they improve in future years because it could have been fun with better planning and more vendors and activities that really took place.

The ugly and real turn off for me was the fact that Avalon advertises as pet friendly and we even called ahead to make sure that our dog was welcome. I was assured he could attend the FaerieFest if he was on a leash. I even expressed misgivings about bringing the dog but was reassured it was fine and he was welcome at the festival. My dog is only 6 pounds and we had both a leash and a dog carrier so we could carry him since he has paralyzed back legs. He is a good camper and an easy dog, and we went out of our way to pack for both him and ourselves for two days of camping. We also purchased a lot of fairy finery and gave up other plans to attend this event with high hopes. It was out of town and it took a while to get there. Imagine our shock and dismay when we arrived and we were immediately told NO PETS were allowed at the FaerieFest after we had just gotten permission to attend with our dog!! It was too far to go back home and leave the dog at that point. We were upset and it was a real dilemma. The staff didn't seem to care and were not willing to bend their new rule which was added onto the the rules list after the fact. We were told they just changed the rule since there were a lot of people at the festival (which was not true either. The turn out was very very small.), but the day before I was told it was fine for my dog to attend and no one ever told us otherwise until we were at the gate being denied entry. We even offered to carry the dog in our shoulder pouch/carrier the entire time. But they would not help us out at all. We were there at 11 AM for the festival and they told us the dog could come in with us on the lawn and to the festival at 6 PM. We were really disappointed that we would have to sit it out for 7 hours by our tent until we could attend the event. But we did just that since there were scheduled activities on the list for the FaerieFest until 9 PM when the dance started. At 6 PM we finally were able to get into the festival with the dog and NOTHING was going on. None of the scheduled events even happened. Many were waiting on the lawn for absolutely nothing. What a disappointment and false advertising!!! There was no Faerie Flight, no sing along, no dragon dance, and only a short 10 minute fire dance by one fairy dancer. PERIOD. Most of the vendors had packed up and were gone too.

The staff did not really help us out at all. Some kind guests offered their condo for our dog however, and said they were also put out by the new rule about no dogs without any notice. We did not take them up on it since we were not sure how our dog would react to a strange house with two strange dogs, but the guests were more understanding and nicer about it than the staff!! The staff did offer to watch our dog for a "few minutes" while we went into the festival but within a very short time they came and got us and told us our dog was very unhappy tied to the front gate where they just ignored him. I had just purchased a $4 drink was unable to even drink it outside the gate due to them coming in to get us immediately. Another nicer staff person (who was better than the rude gate staff) also offered to help watch our dog for half an hour while we went into the festival but she was too busy to watch him for long and again we were frustrated and just gave up and sat by our tent waiting for 6 PM. The solutions offered by the staff were insulting. They suggested we put the dog in the hot car on an almost 90 degree day, or tie the dog up by our tent and let him bark and disturb fellow campers, or that they refund our money and we drive for hours all the way back home after packing up our car for a two day camping trip, and spending money on costumes and accessories for the event, which was a birthday gift to one of us. I am not the type to demand all venues be pet friendly and in fact I typically leave my dogs at home. But when a resort advertises as pet friendly and flat out tells you that your dog is welcome on a leash, I expect them to honor their word and their policy. That is my point. They changed their usual policy on a whim without notice after people came there with their pets and then had to sit around outside the gate and miss the event. That is unacceptable and very thoughtless and unfair to paying guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Fort Ashby, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Been here several times and I have always enjoyed my visit. There is plenty of things to do and great people to meet and enjoy. There are many faculties, indoor and outdoor pool, hottubs, tennis courts, hiking trails and great friends!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I came to Avalon with two friends, and we arrived relatively late (6pm). There was no one around to tell us where we were staying. We couldn't look up our reservation because there was no cell or internet service. And when someone from the resort finally came to check on us, the first thing they said was "What are you DOING here?".

After a long day, I was looking forward to putting some ice in my bourbon and sitting in the hot tub. Unfortunately, the hot tub isn't open except on weekends. And there's no ice anywhere. And no coffee in the morning.

Would not recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited Avalon together in August. I had been a few times previously, once for camping along with a few day visits, and I really wanted to share with her the wonderful experiences I had there. The atmosphere is very friendly and completely relaxing. The facilities are very well maintained and the staff warm and accommodating. There are three different nature trails for hiking, indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs, a sauna, and even a small casino with a bar and a pool table. We availed ourselves of most if not all of these amenities. Whether it is your first time at a clothing optional resort (as it was on this occasion for my wife) or if you have been to other resorts, you will love Avalon!

• Stayed August 2012
Battle Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend took me as a surprise....And a great experience we had. It was my first time at a clothing optional resort and I am hooked. The staff was great and very friendly. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was classy. The room was very clean and pet friendly a BIG plus... The hot tubs and pool were well maintained and warm...I really enjoyed the best buns contest the men were very entertaining and everyone enjoyed. I hope to return when it gets a little warmer and enjoy more of the outdoor activities...We did get to sit outside and take in the breath taking view of the mountains...A bit early for the dogwood trees but didn't matter still beautiful..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Avalon Resort? Share your experiences!