“Naturalist....Basic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paw Paw
Avalon Resort
Save Saved
You added Avalon Resort to your Saves list
223 Avalon Lane, Paw Paw, WV 25434   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Naturalist....Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The drive to Paw Paw is beautiful. Once you head to the mountains, the sites are definitely worth the drive. Getting to Avalon is off the beatin path. The signage is good and you know when you see the apple Avalon sign. The staff are very nice. The 'cruise' like accounting is convenient for purchases of food and beverages. The prices are reasonable. You can not bring outside alcohol if you stay in the lodge...or bring in alcohol to the pool areas unless you purchase from Avalon. There is limited wifi...no phone or TV in the Room...no cell service....zip...nada. They have movie night...but warning...you will sit at a dinner table for 2 hours. The folks are all friendly, but lots of regular 'clicks'. The lodge accommodations are bare...literally. Bring your own soap, shampoo, and conditioner. The bath towels are actually very nice...but bring your own towels for dinner and functions throughout the 'resort'. There is a resort fee...for the amenities. The sheets have cigarette burns...it is a bit run down but clean. The walls are PAPER thin...loud guests walking to beeakfast. Overall, a relaxed environment.

Room Tip: Get an even numbered room for a mountain view...odd numbers face the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JodysHusband, Web Master at Avalon Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We have informed housekeeping, as there should have been soap, shampoo and conditioner in your room. Also, sheets with burn marks are unacceptable. If you come back and find an issue, please let the General Manager or any staff person know of the problem, and it will be rectified.

We agree, the rooms are a bit run down. We are in the process of revamping them (3 done so far) but it will be a couple more years before they are all done. Next time you come, ask for one of the refurbished rooms and let us know if you like the improvement.

You are very correct, there is no cell phone service. Until the cell phone companies put towers up in our range, there is nothing we can do. We have offered to allow several companies to put a tower on property, but they have declined.

There is WiFi in the lodge and nudsino, but it is DSL and is all that is available in our part of WV. There are no phones nor TVs in the rooms, and we have no plans on installing them. The small usage will not justify the expense.

Yes, you have to provide your own towels for sitting on outside of your room. This is standard at nudist clubs.

I do hope you return and give us another chance. Naturally, we look forward to seeing you.

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The ride up there on my motorcycle was very pleasant as I enjoyed the smooth winding road. The resort is in a secluded location but is well maintained. There is a gate that I had to pass through to get in, and I found the people at the desk friendly and helpful. The grounds are clean and the people there friendly. We enjoyed tennis and swimming, as well as simply lounging around during the mid day sun. Everyone I met both in terms of the staff and the other guests were nice to me. Even though this was my first nudist outing, I felt very comfortable. I liked that there was an indoor pool so when it got hot during the afternoon we could get out of the sun. The place is large and I could go for a long hike too. I look forward to returning. I can't share a photo because photos are forbidden. Note that as a "first timer" the day fee is waived.

Room Tip: I didn't stay over night so I can't comment on this.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Clarksburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was my very first time at a 'naturalist' resort. My husband and I camped at a site with water and electric and a tent. Once I got there, I felt so comfortable! I couldn't believe how easy-going everyone is and happy. How can you not be happy when you are nude?! If it is your first time experiencing this type of resort, don't hesitate. Everyone is very friendly, tactful and respectful. We spent all day and everyday in their pools! The pools are very clean and the water is perfect!!! And, no tan lines!! :) The staff is very helpful and courteous. The food at the lodge is AWESOME. My husband and I cannot wait to go back. We may go to Avalon Fest in August if we can get away. This experience was the most unique-and one of the best times I have ever had. My husband and I decided we will make this trip at least once a year. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Avalon is an oasis in the beautiful eastern end of West Virginia. The drive to get to Avalon is stress-free as you encounter rolling hills and gorgeous vistas of the mountains and valleys. Upon entering Avalon you are greeted with a smile. The outdoor pool is large and sunny, and the indoor pool (with two hot tubs) is a nice getaway from the sun. In my opinion, there is nothing more relaxing and freeing than nude hiking, and Avalon has plenty of well-marked trails. Grab a water bottle, put on some good walking shoes, and pick up a walking stick along the way, and feel yourself become one with nature. I love Avalon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have been going to Avalon for a few years and have always loved the experience. Great place. Nice people. they have hikes in the woods on saturdays lasting about an hour, the resort is over 200 acres. A truly wonderfull place for Nature Lovers. The staff is very friendly and Helpful.

Damian

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
burgh757@verizon.net
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Avalon is a very unique experience. There are so many stressful experiences in life and they all disappear in this beautiful resort situated in the WVA mountains. One can be as active as they want with indoor and outdoor pools, tennis and petanque courts and indoor/outdoor volleyball. You can participate in dances and planned activities or relax while walking in the woods and enjoying the lovely surroundings. There are lodge rooms or condos for rent as well as a roomy, full service campground. Pets on leash are permitted.

Room Tip: Like rooms in the center of the lodge overlooking the mountains. Condos are nice if you like to have...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We've stayed at Avalon several times over the last ten years. In the summer or on theme weekends, it can be a entertaining place to be. We've always stay in the lodge which connects directly to the pool and hot tub area, dinner room, and bar making it very convenient. The outside pool is just a short walk away. The lodge rooms are not fancy but comfortable. There are no TVs in the room or cell phone service, but there is WIFI available. If you want to get away from it all, this is the place. We were there on a Friday night. We had a good meal in the dining room and enjoyed hanging out in the bar. Had a nice stay. Normally we would have stayed Saturday night, but had to be elsewhere. We thought about stopping on Sunday, but everything closes up a 8 PM so we decided to pass.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the dining room are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Avalon Resort? Share your experiences!