“My first time at a nudist resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paw Paw
Avalon Resort
You added Avalon Resort to your Saves list
223 Avalon Lane, Paw Paw, WV 25434   |
Charlottesville, Virginia
“My first time at a nudist resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The ride up there on my motorcycle was very pleasant as I enjoyed the smooth winding road. The resort is in a secluded location but is well maintained. There is a gate that I had to pass through to get in, and I found the people at the desk friendly and helpful. The grounds are clean and the people there friendly. We enjoyed tennis and swimming, as well as simply lounging around during the mid day sun. Everyone I met both in terms of the staff and the other guests were nice to me. Even though this was my first nudist outing, I felt very comfortable. I liked that there was an indoor pool so when it got hot during the afternoon we could get out of the sun. The place is large and I could go for a long hike too. I look forward to returning. I can't share a photo because photos are forbidden. Note that as a "first timer" the day fee is waived.

Room Tip: I didn't stay over night so I can't comment on this.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Clarksburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was my very first time at a 'naturalist' resort. My husband and I camped at a site with water and electric and a tent. Once I got there, I felt so comfortable! I couldn't believe how easy-going everyone is and happy. How can you not be happy when you are nude?! If it is your first time experiencing this type of resort, don't hesitate. Everyone is very friendly, tactful and respectful. We spent all day and everyday in their pools! The pools are very clean and the water is perfect!!! And, no tan lines!! :) The staff is very helpful and courteous. The food at the lodge is AWESOME. My husband and I cannot wait to go back. We may go to Avalon Fest in August if we can get away. This experience was the most unique-and one of the best times I have ever had. My husband and I decided we will make this trip at least once a year. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Avalon is an oasis in the beautiful eastern end of West Virginia. The drive to get to Avalon is stress-free as you encounter rolling hills and gorgeous vistas of the mountains and valleys. Upon entering Avalon you are greeted with a smile. The outdoor pool is large and sunny, and the indoor pool (with two hot tubs) is a nice getaway from the sun. In my opinion, there is nothing more relaxing and freeing than nude hiking, and Avalon has plenty of well-marked trails. Grab a water bottle, put on some good walking shoes, and pick up a walking stick along the way, and feel yourself become one with nature. I love Avalon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have been going to Avalon for a few years and have always loved the experience. Great place. Nice people. they have hikes in the woods on saturdays lasting about an hour, the resort is over 200 acres. A truly wonderfull place for Nature Lovers. The staff is very friendly and Helpful.

Damian

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
burgh757@verizon.net
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Avalon is a very unique experience. There are so many stressful experiences in life and they all disappear in this beautiful resort situated in the WVA mountains. One can be as active as they want with indoor and outdoor pools, tennis and petanque courts and indoor/outdoor volleyball. You can participate in dances and planned activities or relax while walking in the woods and enjoying the lovely surroundings. There are lodge rooms or condos for rent as well as a roomy, full service campground. Pets on leash are permitted.

Room Tip: Like rooms in the center of the lodge overlooking the mountains. Condos are nice if you like to have...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We've stayed at Avalon several times over the last ten years. In the summer or on theme weekends, it can be a entertaining place to be. We've always stay in the lodge which connects directly to the pool and hot tub area, dinner room, and bar making it very convenient. The outside pool is just a short walk away. The lodge rooms are not fancy but comfortable. There are no TVs in the room or cell phone service, but there is WIFI available. If you want to get away from it all, this is the place. We were there on a Friday night. We had a good meal in the dining room and enjoyed hanging out in the bar. Had a nice stay. Normally we would have stayed Saturday night, but had to be elsewhere. We thought about stopping on Sunday, but everything closes up a 8 PM so we decided to pass.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the dining room are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I have been going to Avalon for years and have always loved the experience. Great place. Nice people. Relaxing. Unfortunately, this last trip had one incident that I feel I must report. There was a wine tasting on Saturday. One of the ladies who participated drank a lot and apparently continued to drink the rest of the day. By dinner time, she was LOUD and OBNOXIOUS. She was hanging on people and making quite a scene. I went the next day to report the incident and was literally stopped cold when I got to the office. There is a photo board of staff. The loud, obnoxious drunk was on staff. Her name is Gette. Why was an employee crocked on duty? She was listed as the guest DJ. Even more disquieting, I also recognized one of the "witnesses" to the incident. She is the Assistant Manager. She sat there during the incident and did not see fit to try to stop it or escort the drunk out. Seeing this, I figured it was not worth my time to file a complaint. Who should I send it to? The Assistant manager was there and did not seem inclined to intervene. Anyone can get out of control, but it's pretty disturbing when one of the employees is the one who is unruly.

It’s really to bad, because other than this, I have always found Avalon to be a little slice of Heaven on Earth

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
JodysHusband, Web Master at Avalon Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
The staff member in question, has been spoken too. Our goal is always to ensure that our guests have a wonderful, stress free time. Should an issue arise, please speak to the General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Office Manager, or another staff member immediately. The sooner we know of an issue, the quicker we can nip it in the bud.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Avalon Resort? Share your experiences!