“We had an awesome time!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Oak Hill
Farmington Hills, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
“We had an awesome time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We did the easy track on the new river in 2 person inflatable canoes geared towards beginners and kids 7 years and older. At all times we had 3 guides with us to look after us and tell us about the next bend in the river to watch out for. Lunch and transportation was provided and they even had people filming the whole experience. We had a great time on the river, canoeing, jumping of cliffs, playing ducky wars with the friendly and helpful staff.

Elyria, Ohio, United States
8 attraction reviews
“Will be going back!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This was my first time white water rafting and I was pretty hesitant. Two weeks prior I had an incident where I was tossed around pretty bad in waves at the ocean. With that being said, when we first got there you meet up at the picnic area with your group. You are told to arrive an hour early and it is best if you do or you will be rushed along. From there you go to get your wet suit, etc. if you want to rent them. The weather was crazy cool when we went and it was only 63 so I went for the neoprene jacket and had long yoga pants on. You are then taken to get your hat vest and paddle. The guides are fun and helpful through the whole experience. You then get on a bus and taken for an exciting ride to where you get on the rafts. During this time the head guide is giving you the low down on your trip down the river. He was very comical. Once there you are paired off with your group or they place you with a group and assigned a guide. This is where our trip took a turn. Our guide was crass, abrasive and did not seem confident with her skills. She yelled at our group as a whole and was very condescending to us as a group. We did not get to experience a lot that the other boats did. Although all this occurred I had a good time and will go back. ACE was great and when we called and discussed our issue with them gave us another trip to come back. It is from my understanding that our guide was not a full time staff member and now is no longer working for the company! WHAT GREAT COUSTMER SERVICE!! Cannot wait to try it again with a different guide.

Visited July 2014
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Zip line staff was flat out unexcusable! Everything else was great!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Called ahead of time in January to book my vacation to ACE and planned out the week with all of my days filled with activities for me and my wife to enjoy each day. Everything was great with the exception of the zip lining staff people.

When I booked our zip lining tour, I was aware of the weight limit of 250 lbs. I informed the woman booking with ACE that I was close to that limit being 6 foot 3 and 260 lbs. She informed me that it would be ok and they have made exceptions and would do so for me. So we signed up and paid for the adventure!

We show up for our zip line adventure today after 2 wonderful days of horseback riding and white water rafting the previous 2 days! The girl named Jenna sees me as my wife and I walk up to the cabin and stares me up and down. Then she proceeds to pass around laminated yellow sheets to all of us saying that people lie about their weight and how dangerous it will be! No other people were even close to that weight sitting there and I felt singled out and totally embarassed as all of the other people stared at me. I would have felt more comfortable had she just pulled me aside. This was totally absurd and I became very upset! I had to be walked up by her to the main cabin, once again totally humilated, in front of all these people. As we were walking to get refunded for our trip, she did inform me that they did make allowances???? Are you kidding me??? I totally understand rules and policies, but when you are encouraged by your sales team to book it to make a dollar, then you should not be offering false hopes!

Now I have a total wasted day with nothing to do except sit by the overpriced lakeview house. This is totally unacceptable and not sure if we will ever come back or encourage anyone of our people to visit the resort. It is a total shame for ACE as we traveled all the way from Florida to visit. It had been a great trip with Scotty O with white water rafting and our horseback riding with Equestrian Adventures!

Hopefully ACE will review their rules and policies with their customers and demonstrate a little more respect given from certain staff to make it more of an enjoyable experience. I own my own business and would never have my own staff treat customers in this type of manner!

Visited August 2014
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Sir,

I just wanted to take a quick moment to respond to your review. We are so pleased to hear you had such a good visit while on the New River and on your horseback ride while here in the New River Gorge. Scottie O is our most requested guide. I am sure you can see why! We however, are not pleased to hear about your experience on the Zip Line Tour. I am going to immediately address this concern with both the Sales Manager and the Zip Line Manager. As our goal is to always communicate accurate information and have our guests feeling part of the family. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can use this as a learning tool. Should you want to discuss this further, don't hesitate to contact me at heidi@aceraft.com.

-Heidi Prior
Social Media Manager
Manchester, New Hampshire
“WOW-So much fun with a GREAT STAFF!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was my second trip to Ace. The staff is amazing. Danny (or Lucky has they refer to him) was an amazing raft guide and also guides mountain bike tours. He's fun and energetic and defintely added to the experience. ALL the staff is friendly, professional and accomdating, they really can't do enough for you. The food is delish and there is ALWAYS something going on if you want something to do but can be quiet and relaxing as well if that's your choice. We had a cabin with a hot tub and that is probably the best way to end a day of activities. Everything is extremely reasonably priced for what you get.
Next year can't come fast enough!!

Caledonia, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“Exhilarating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The rafting was very exciting! This was the first time our family has been whitewater rafting on these types of rapids, so we were all excited and nervous! The main guide, Chris, did a great job explaining the safety components and keeping some humor to the lecture! The full day trip was well worth the money and the lunch was very good. Jumping off the cliff was an added bonus to the trip! The only issue I had is with our guide. I felt like I was in boot camp all day. I appreciate a guide that is serious about my safety, especially when my kids are with me, but she was over the top. She especially was way to intense and critical to my daughter. She even told my daughter (who is a very serious and follow the rule type child) "if I have to pay anymore attention to you I will take your paddle away and make you sit in the back with me" My daughter had a unfitted helmet, that should of been dealt with before we got in the bus or on the raft, not in the middle of the raft trip. It really should of not of been the issue where my daughter is being yelled at, when she could not fix the helmet. Again, I am all about safety, so if my daughter needed to be yelled at, I am not a parent that will get upset over that, but this guide really was over the top with her. We all felt uncomfortable with her "yelling" mannerism thru out the whole trip. We did have other people comment to us that they noted our guide being very demanding to us. I will repeat that I am not upset that she cared about us staying safe, it was her tone, inappropriate comments and overall demeaning feel she gave that put it over the edge.
I do recommend the trip as it is a great adventure and a safe company! The DVD was great, Marcus did a great job-it is worth the money! The full day is intense so be ready for a wild time!

Visited August 2014
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Center, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hello to our friend from WI!
(I'm a WI girl transplanted to WV)

I just finished reading your review and must say, I really appreciate your honesty. Rafting is exciting and Chris is a really great Trip Leader. I also appreciate the shout-out to the video boater- Marcus. The video boaters don't tend to get as much recognition as the guides do, so it's nice to see someone take note of all the hard work they do to produce personalized videos for our guests.

As per the comments about your specific guide. I just want you to know that we will be immediately investigating this further. From reading your thoughts, I can understand your feeling of being in "boot camp". The art of guiding takes a lot of people reading skills, it seems this guide wasn't reading your family correctly. Thank you for not overacting and writing a very logical and sound review. I just hope to convey to you that we do read these reviews and we do our best to constantly improve our resort and especially our guest's experiences.

So again, thank you for the review. We really appreciate it.

-Heidi Prior
Social Media Manager
ACE Adventure Resort

Been to ACE Adventure Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage ACE Adventure Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.