“Great Rafting – Best Facilities & Lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Oak Hill
Type: Tours, Adventure
Avon, Ohio
471 attraction reviews
“Great Rafting – Best Facilities & Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Arriving in Beckley, my wife and I picked-up a brochure on WV whitewater rafting which listed about a dozen outfitters offering guided trips on the New River. With the objective of an all day rafting trip down the lower New to experience the famous class IV and V rapids, we began calling and visiting the websites of the many outfitters. Fairly quickly, it was obvious that considerable consolidation had occurred amongst the outfitters and two associated groups of outfitters emerged. The group with the most appealing trip details for us included ACE which we decided upon due to it being well established (since 1979), having the best facilities adjacent to the New River including its own put-in spot and, the real tie breaker, a full, grilled lunch along the river. Experience has taught us that a hardy, hot lunch is very welcome after a lengthy paddle versus the standard cold cut sandwiches. We were very happy with our selection of ACE. The equipment was ample and in good condition, the staff, especially the lead guide and the guide in our boat, were helpful, friendly and entertaining. We had a great time rafting the New, even when it started to pour. Once the rain had past, the mist rising up through the canyon and around the New River Gorge Bridge near the end of the trip provided another worldly look to our surroundings. And the lunch was great. We would highly recommend rafting the New with ACE as their staff is great and they seem to have all the details that make the difference covered; heck we still have the thank you post card, for the tip, from our river guide that was sent to our home totally unexpected.

Visited July 2013
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hi Steve,

I just wanted to take a quick second and say thank you for the really great review. It's nice to hear that our website and sales team did a good job of navigating you to the answers you were really looking for. And yes, we totally agree our lunch is incredible! Thanks so much for visiting us and thanks again for taking the time to write us such a great review. We love feedback, it helps us continually improve.

-Heidi Prior
Social Media Manager
ACE Adventure Resort

Helsinki, Finland
“Exciting and fun! Zip-lining and white-water rafting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had a good time, camping in a well kept and well organized facility. Zip-lining and white-water rafting were great!

Farmer City, Illinois
“Whitewater Rafting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had an excellent time on the Lower Gauley on October 12. I was very apprehensive because I had never whitewater rafted before. Our guide was Jimbo and he was amazing! His confidence and his skill made me feel like I was in good hands. He was very knowledgeable about the area and gave us really great information all along the river. He made the day extremely enjoyable and I will request him again the next time I visit.

The food at the Lost Paddle was good and it was a fun place to hang out and relax after a day on the river. I would definitely recommend ACE to my friends.

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Don't plan on sleeping :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Ace at least 6 times and I'm sorry to say this is likely the last time I stay on the resort the night before a trip. It is 11:25pm and the music is blasting at the campground from multiple locations. Having to be up at 6 and not being able to get to sleep is frustrating. I camp at state and national parks frequently and their quiet hour policy of 10pm is much more reasonable. Even 11 would be an improvement over midnight.

Having security drive through every so often would be welcomed as well. Folks out to have a great trip while being respectful of others should be helped with better sleep.

Visited October 2013
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Center, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello,

I read your review today and I must admit, I too would be disappointed if I was trying to sleep and get well rested for world class whitewater and was kept awake late into the night. We do our best to try to separate "festive" campers from quiet campers. I have emailed the folks in charge of this to find out what happened, etc. Although there is nothing I can do to get your night's sleep back to you, please feel free to send me your name and email address to heidi@aceraft.com. We can have someone look into this further and see what we can do to remedy this issue for future campers.

Gauley season has so much energy to it, and our resort takes on a much different feel in the fall than it does in the summer. BUT that doesn't mean that folks still don't want and deserve a good night's sleep. The main advantage to having a bar on property is that those festive folks do have someplace to go and let loose other than the campground.

Please note that we do appreciate your feedback. We do read these reviews, and we do take them seriously. Again, feel free to get me your name and email so we can look into this a bit further. We love to hear that you've been with us six times and the last thing we want is to not have you back again for another great whitewater adventure.

-Heidi Prior
Social Media Manager
ACE Adventure Resort
heidi@aceraft.com
Northern New Jersey
“Stellar!! From beginning to end!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

To start, Mother Nature was with us this weekend. It was OCT but the weather said summer. 83 degrees, sunny, calm wind and low humidity both days!

This trip was for my brother's bachelor party. 2 days at ACE with 5 guys. Lower Gauley on Sat. and Zip Line on Sun. with meals included and lodging in the Ridge View Retreats #503.

We arrived around 11:30pm after a long car ride. The welcome center closes at 11:00pm but when we rolled up, our check-in info was on the board outside along with others. It was clearly marked and had a map and our keys in an envelope. There was an employee still inside and he seemed to be answering other guests questions. We followed the map to our Ridge View Retreat. The roads are mostly dirt and gravel but well maintained. We were in an SUV and had no problems. Motorcycles and low clearance cars may have had a problem. The roads close and around the welcome center are better. The Ridge View Retreat lodging was excellent! The place was either new or recently restored. 3 bedroom and 2 full baths. We never ran out of hot water. Beds were comfortable. Rooms each had a TV with cable and DVD, although we did not use them. Each room also had a "window" A/C. There is no furniture in the rooms other than the bed. No drawers, but this was not a problem. There isa small shelf and place to hang hangers. One bedroom did not have curtains but this was not a problem since the place is privately tucked into the woods. Appliances worked well. Kitchen is well stocked with everything you may need. Although we could not find coffee filters but plenty of other coffee stuff. The place has a nice sized deck with a shade area with table and chairs and a hot tub. The hot tub was clean and newer. The cover was in OK condition. It was perfect for after a long day of rafting with a few beverages! It also has a fire ring and picnic table next to it in the gravel parking area. We purchased firewood at the welcome center and had a good time sitting around the fire one night. The lodging experience here was flawless.

We rafted the Lower Gauley on Sat. We ate breakfast first and was pleasantly surprised at the meal experience. Everyone was friendly and the place was very orgainzed. They had our name on the pre-paid list and the buffet was great. Omlette station, biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, potatoes, eggs, etc. They also had a fruit bar with tons of fresh fruit.

Check-in for the raft trip was easy. There we met our guide, John. He was great. Clear in his instructions but still having fun! We watched a short intro video and then headed up to get geared up for the trip. The gear was well organized as well with friendly people. We did not rent wetsuits, but some people did. That seemed seamless too. After getting our gear, we loaded onto the bus. They have a fleet of blue painted school busses to transport rafters around. We had somewhere around 27 guests on our bus. The ride was fun with the driver playing the Eagles on the way.

The Lower Gauley trip was epic! We had an excellent guide in John. He was the lead boat out of 5 rafts. It really seemed like we had the best of the best, although John wouldn't tell you this. He was very clear in all instructions and explained details and escape routes of each rapid. He was friendly and joked around when he could. He was good at bolstering our confidence on the river. It looked like he had a good relationships with the other guides too. He said he had 13 years experience on the Gauley River. His confidence was contagious and we all felt safe the entire time. We will probably do the Lower Gauley a few more time before tackling the Upper Gauley, but when we do we will look for John to be our guide.

Kat was the videographer. She was great and we pre-purchased a DVD saving $10. The video was great and Kat's commentary was hilarious. Our boat was the highlight of the video with a big dump at the last big rapid of the day, Hell Hole. Thanks for that aggressive line John!

Lunch on the river was above expectations. Started with finger food of chips, veggies, dips, salsa, etc. A few minutes later we headed up to the grill area where the spread was impressive. Burgers, veggie burgers, chix breasts, tons of burger toppings, sides and deserts. Water and lemonade was plentiful.

Dinner back at ACE was just as good as breakfast but even more expansive. We ate very well that night. The pig picking was perfect! So good. Salad and desert bar rocked too.

8 Am Sunday morning was Zip Lining. Again easy check-in and friendly people. It was just our group and 2 fantastic guides. I wish I remembered their names. (Anastasia?) We took a short bus to the beginning of the course. The New River valley was fogged in but later cleared up. The course was awesome! Well built and safe. Equipment was in good shape also. They even had a helmet with a Go Pro mount on it, which we used. The course is 9 zips and 2 foot bridges. The plunge at the end was awesome! Dare to go off backwards!

I must also mention that all my communications before the trip were great. Every time I got timely responses. I used e-mail, phone and chat. The staff was very helpful and worked with me to build our ideal weekend.

At every turn we found cleanliness, friendly staff, friendly guests, great food and good times! We WILL be back!

Visited October 2013

Been to ACE Adventure Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage ACE Adventure Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.