“Don't plan on sleeping :(” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 attractions in Oak Hill
Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Don't plan on sleeping :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Ace at least 6 times and I'm sorry to say this is likely the last time I stay on the resort the night before a trip. It is 11:25pm and the music is blasting at the campground from multiple locations. Having to be up at 6 and not being able to get to sleep is frustrating. I camp at state and national parks frequently and their quiet hour policy of 10pm is much more reasonable. Even 11 would be an improvement over midnight.

Having security drive through every so often would be welcomed as well. Folks out to have a great trip while being respectful of others should be helped with better sleep.

Visited October 2013
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Center, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello,

I read your review today and I must admit, I too would be disappointed if I was trying to sleep and get well rested for world class whitewater and was kept awake late into the night. We do our best to try to separate "festive" campers from quiet campers. I have emailed the folks in charge of this to find out what happened, etc. Although there is nothing I can do to get your night's sleep back to you, please feel free to send me your name and email address to heidi@aceraft.com. We can have someone look into this further and see what we can do to remedy this issue for future campers.

Gauley season has so much energy to it, and our resort takes on a much different feel in the fall than it does in the summer. BUT that doesn't mean that folks still don't want and deserve a good night's sleep. The main advantage to having a bar on property is that those festive folks do have someplace to go and let loose other than the campground.

Please note that we do appreciate your feedback. We do read these reviews, and we do take them seriously. Again, feel free to get me your name and email so we can look into this a bit further. We love to hear that you've been with us six times and the last thing we want is to not have you back again for another great whitewater adventure.

-Heidi Prior
heidi@aceraft.com

Northern New Jersey
“Stellar!! From beginning to end!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

To start, Mother Nature was with us this weekend. It was OCT but the weather said summer. 83 degrees, sunny, calm wind and low humidity both days!

This trip was for my brother's bachelor party. 2 days at ACE with 5 guys. Lower Gauley on Sat. and Zip Line on Sun. with meals included and lodging in the Ridge View Retreats #503.

We arrived around 11:30pm after a long car ride. The welcome center closes at 11:00pm but when we rolled up, our check-in info was on the board outside along with others. It was clearly marked and had a map and our keys in an envelope. There was an employee still inside and he seemed to be answering other guests questions. We followed the map to our Ridge View Retreat. The roads are mostly dirt and gravel but well maintained. We were in an SUV and had no problems. Motorcycles and low clearance cars may have had a problem. The roads close and around the welcome center are better. The Ridge View Retreat lodging was excellent! The place was either new or recently restored. 3 bedroom and 2 full baths. We never ran out of hot water. Beds were comfortable. Rooms each had a TV with cable and DVD, although we did not use them. Each room also had a "window" A/C. There is no furniture in the rooms other than the bed. No drawers, but this was not a problem. There isa small shelf and place to hang hangers. One bedroom did not have curtains but this was not a problem since the place is privately tucked into the woods. Appliances worked well. Kitchen is well stocked with everything you may need. Although we could not find coffee filters but plenty of other coffee stuff. The place has a nice sized deck with a shade area with table and chairs and a hot tub. The hot tub was clean and newer. The cover was in OK condition. It was perfect for after a long day of rafting with a few beverages! It also has a fire ring and picnic table next to it in the gravel parking area. We purchased firewood at the welcome center and had a good time sitting around the fire one night. The lodging experience here was flawless.

We rafted the Lower Gauley on Sat. We ate breakfast first and was pleasantly surprised at the meal experience. Everyone was friendly and the place was very orgainzed. They had our name on the pre-paid list and the buffet was great. Omlette station, biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, potatoes, eggs, etc. They also had a fruit bar with tons of fresh fruit.

Check-in for the raft trip was easy. There we met our guide, John. He was great. Clear in his instructions but still having fun! We watched a short intro video and then headed up to get geared up for the trip. The gear was well organized as well with friendly people. We did not rent wetsuits, but some people did. That seemed seamless too. After getting our gear, we loaded onto the bus. They have a fleet of blue painted school busses to transport rafters around. We had somewhere around 27 guests on our bus. The ride was fun with the driver playing the Eagles on the way.

The Lower Gauley trip was epic! We had an excellent guide in John. He was the lead boat out of 5 rafts. It really seemed like we had the best of the best, although John wouldn't tell you this. He was very clear in all instructions and explained details and escape routes of each rapid. He was friendly and joked around when he could. He was good at bolstering our confidence on the river. It looked like he had a good relationships with the other guides too. He said he had 13 years experience on the Gauley River. His confidence was contagious and we all felt safe the entire time. We will probably do the Lower Gauley a few more time before tackling the Upper Gauley, but when we do we will look for John to be our guide.

Kat was the videographer. She was great and we pre-purchased a DVD saving $10. The video was great and Kat's commentary was hilarious. Our boat was the highlight of the video with a big dump at the last big rapid of the day, Hell Hole. Thanks for that aggressive line John!

Lunch on the river was above expectations. Started with finger food of chips, veggies, dips, salsa, etc. A few minutes later we headed up to the grill area where the spread was impressive. Burgers, veggie burgers, chix breasts, tons of burger toppings, sides and deserts. Water and lemonade was plentiful.

Dinner back at ACE was just as good as breakfast but even more expansive. We ate very well that night. The pig picking was perfect! So good. Salad and desert bar rocked too.

8 Am Sunday morning was Zip Lining. Again easy check-in and friendly people. It was just our group and 2 fantastic guides. I wish I remembered their names. (Anastasia?) We took a short bus to the beginning of the course. The New River valley was fogged in but later cleared up. The course was awesome! Well built and safe. Equipment was in good shape also. They even had a helmet with a Go Pro mount on it, which we used. The course is 9 zips and 2 foot bridges. The plunge at the end was awesome! Dare to go off backwards!

I must also mention that all my communications before the trip were great. Every time I got timely responses. I used e-mail, phone and chat. The staff was very helpful and worked with me to build our ideal weekend.

At every turn we found cleanliness, friendly staff, friendly guests, great food and good times! We WILL be back!

Visited October 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
16 attraction reviews
“Gauley River Experts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Last week our research team took a break and did white water rafting on the lower Gauley River with Ace Adventure. They provided the rafts, the guides, and the wet suits. This is during the great "Gauley Season" when the Army Corp of Engineers do controlled releases from an up river dam and the flow increases to 4000- 5000 CFM. We did approximately 40 sets of rapids during the 13 miles we paddled and floated including a half dozen class 5s.

In 14 foot, 6 man rafts we had the most incredible time. The guides were fantastic and knew the river incredibly well and how to run it right at the edge of our limited experience level to make it as exciting as possible. If you are interested in some world class white water with guides who will keep you as safe as possible, there is no one better than Ace. The team has continued to talk about this excursion for the past week and re-live all the excitement. We highly recommend these guys as trained, knowledgeable, professional and very personable guides. They don't come any better than ACE.

Pucon
“Coolest family activities... kids loved it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

First, I'm a local kayaker and know everything about the area. So, when my family came to visit with their children I wanted to show them a great time. I'd been to the Ace property and must state that it is super impressive to see the beach complex with pool toys on steroids, zip line, trampolines, volley ball, restaurant, and games. So, for a day of fun with the family we chose to goto the Ace property beach for West Virginia play.
Eli, 13, was the most active and tried every toy at least three times. Laura, 9, liked the trampolines and zip line and trampolin best. Fletcher, 4, played in the water for a short time but ended up just watching the 3' long fish.
The adults played too... but it was more relaxing sitting beachside and watching the kids play for hours as we napped and soaked the sun. Everyone raved about the day at Ace.
For me as a local I'm proud to showoff the gems of the New River Gorge area. I'm proud of our local businesses and am even prouder to endorse Ace's adventure and family facility.
David Hughes- Director New River Academy

Visited September 2013
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hi Dave!

I read your review today and I just wanted to let you know how much the entire team here at ACE Adventure Resort appreciates your support. As you know, our community is strong in the New River Gorge Region and small businesses supporting other small businesses is crucial for economic & community development.

We love to hear you showed your family around our area and the facilities here at ACE. We feel honored that your family chose to spend a day enjoying our lake. We hope your family had a great visit and thanks again for your review!

Heidi Prior
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome Rafting! Lovely part of the country.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This past weekend, my teenage kids and I made the drive from Chicago to raft the Gauley River. We did the "Double Upper Gauley" trip. The rafting was truly awesome. Prior, the only significant rafting experience we had was on the New River. A lot of people seem to make a big deal about rafting the Upper Gauley, but if a person is comfortable being bounced in the water now and then, there is nothing to worry about. Our guide, Susan, had great skill.

We brought our tent and camped in the mountaintop area. The trees up there are sparse and small, so that area had a bit of an open field feel. Usually, we would have preferred more secluded camping, but the setting made for beautiful starry nights and it was conducive to make friends with the neighbors. The bathroom showers had plenty of hot water, and were as clean as I have ever experienced camping.

We also did the night zip lining, which was a blast.

If a person has never been to that part of West Virginia, he is really missing out. The terrain is lovely and the people are friendly, and it has become a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts. It is one of the few areas worth returning to again and again.

Visited September 2013
One of my favorite reviews I've read in awhile!

Thank you for the kind words and we'll make sure Susan's managers see this as well.

The New River Gorge area is an outdoor lover's gem. It's so nice when folks notice!

-Heidi Prior