“Unforgettable Whitewater Adventure!” 5 of 5 stars

Oxford, Ohio
26 attraction reviews
“Unforgettable Whitewater Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I can't say enough about ACE so this review may be rather long winded.
A group of friends and I set out from Oxford, OH on a weekend adventure of camping and rafting. When we arrived, we were surprised to see water slides and blobs in the swimming area, community tents and souvenir/supply stores, and a welcome center with clean restrooms. Apparently, there are bands and a bar on the weekend evenings, if you're into that sort of thing. The staff was super cool, personable, and helpful. Pick up your firewood and ice at checkin.
CAMPING:
Our site was in the "festive" area on the mountaintop. This was both a blessing and a curse. Admittedly, we're loud and like to stay up later than your average bear. But, we discovered that there are others who are louder and like to stay up later than us. This made for a difficult night of sleep. Consider this as you choose your campsite.
Each site is supplied with a picnic table and a fire pit. No electric on the mountaintop. If it's important to you, there is a very faint cell signal. It's enough to get a text out, but it will suck your battery dry quickly from searching.
The only "damper" (pun intended) on the site were the puddles that formed everywhere from the monsoon that passed through that weekend. Oh, well. It couldn't be helped. The bathroom facilities were pretty spectacular as campsites go. Each "stall" was a full bath including a shower, sink, and toilet. They were pretty darn clean , but there wasn't hand soap, so bring your own.
There also appeared to be a large community tent within each campground "subdivision". Although it too flooded, it was a decent place to hang out during the afternoon rain.
RAFTING THE LOWER NEW RIVER:
This was the most terrifying and most exhilarating experience of my life! It was my first time, so I was told to sit in the front of the boat. So, awesome! I would highly recommend this if you're a newby. Katy was our guide, and we couldn't have asked for a better skipper. We got lucky. Though I would recommend Katy to anyone, you need to try to find a guide who fits your groups personality. Katy's personality and sense of humor seemed to be in line with our own, which made the trip that much better.
The rapids were amazing. We took the industry standard trip which, if I remember correctly, had three class five rapids, five class fours, and a peppering of twos and threes. The first leg of the six hour tour offered several still pools for swimming, and a class three rapid with a class five wave. It was enough to get us super pumped up. We also saw a bald eagle soaring through the mist filled gorge. T'was majestic.
Lunch was delicious. And, let's face it, we were HUNGRY by lunch time. The entrees (chicken, fish, burgers, veggie-burgers) were grilled and hot. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Ace supplied all the fixins, side dishes, and desserts you could want. I don't even eat that well at home!
After lunch the river got very hairy. We were told that it was two and one half times as aggressive it normally is. Although it was extremely exciting and fun, it was also terrifying. Our guide and a buddie were thrown from our boat on middle-kini - one of the most aggressive rapids on the trip. If I could make one suggestion to the guides, tell your crew what to do in case you are thrown. This was the only think that we weren't prepared for. After we lost our guide and our buddie, our boat was headed for a group of rocks called "the meat grinder". Sounds pleasant, right? We fortunately were able to pull off into and eddy and pull our friend back into the raft. Another tour group brought our guide back to us and we were back in business.
Not more than ten minutes later, the sky turned black and opened up. Cold rain poured down onto us. It was difficult to see. That's when Katy said "We're coming up on our next class five."
She explained the necessity of swimming in the correct place to avoid undercut rocks, hydraulics, and certain death. This is when I realized that I wasn't on an amusement park ride, but rather participating in my own survival. Exhilarating and terrifying!
In the end, we all made it safely to shore, and enjoyed a well deserved barley-pop at the finish line.
A recommendation to contact lens wearers: Sunglasses won't keep the water from getting into your eyes. Buy a pair of watersport goggles. You'll thank me later.
Also, make sure to pick up some photos and the video of your trip. You'll be glad you did when you get to show off your adventure to friends and family.
Thanks go to Katy and the rest of the ACE staff for being so great and making out trip and absolutely unforgettable one!

Knoxville, Tennessee
37 attraction reviews
“awesome guides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We rafted the lower New River, about a five hour trip. The guides were very professional and kept us safe even when our boat flipped. Amy is a fantastic guide, The experience is a good exercise in team building. Staff provided a really nice lunch, where it was clear effort and planning had gone into it. The rapids were challenging enough to be fun and a little dangerous, but the whole time we felt we were in good hands. You will have the opportunity to get a DVD of filmed passages of the trip and also an opportunity to get photographs, but there is no pressure. Lots of fun, in beautiful wild West Virginia.

Visited August 2013
Fayette County PA
19 attraction reviews
“Great rafting weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful time at Ace this weekend. Stayed in a cabin with friends. We ate at the Lost Paddle bar Friday. Food was good and very reasonable prices. Did a raft trip n Saturday and had a blast. Don was our guide. Couldn't have asked for a better time. The water level was high which made for a great trip. Great lunch provided. Will be back next year for sure.

Gretna, Virginia
“Family fun on the New River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family and I just went whitewater rafting down the New River. It will be one of the most memorable vacations we have ever had and would love to do it again!!! Our guide (Kelsey) was excellent, very knowledgable and impressive, not to mention a great sense of humor!! And, the lunch they served what unbelievable, not what I would have expected on the river. Really delicious!! I do wish the dvd was a little more reasonalby priced so we could have gotten that to bring home, but, if I had to go down the river in a kayak trying to video I would probably have to charge that as well. Even the bus ride to where we put in and on the way back was fun (Chris could be a comedian). All the staff was good and entertaining. I would definitely recommend this for a family who likes to be active and hope that I get to do it again. Thanks ACE for making it so much fun (especially Kelsey Beverage)

Durham, North Carolina
“Great rafting in the New River Gorge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my 3rd rafting trip in the last 5 years with Ace in the New River Gorge. I have taken my teenage sons and daughters. We have stayed in the tent cabins twice and most recently we camped. We did the full day with lunch on the river. All 3 experiences have been excellent. The guides were great each time.

I recommend the smaller 14 ft raft unless you are taking really young kids (i think 11 is the minimum age for the gorge).

I recommend the buffet breakfast the morning before the ride.

The kids had a good time swimming in the lake, but were a little disappointed that they had to wear life jackets the whole time.

I would recommend checking the river levels (at whiterwater.com) if there has been a lot of rain or if you go in late spring. If the gorge is running over 12 ft, then it is not safe and you will have to run the upper new. This happened once to me before (with a different rafting company) and it was not very much fun. Unfortunately you do not have much recourse if the river is too high, but fortunately this is a rare event in the summer time.

Visited June 2013

Been to ACE Adventure Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage ACE Adventure Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.