“Rafting in October?” 5 of 5 stars

Kentucky
10 attraction reviews
“Rafting in October?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

YES! My family was on a whirlwind trip visiting colleges and we decided to spend the last day rafting. I was very apprehensive - although I love the water and boating and had rafted a couple of times in my younger years, I really didn't want to be cold. Or to get stuck under a rock. We booked our adventure on the lower Gauley River 5 days before we arrived. I talked to the helpful agent about my fears and our lack of experience, and she assured me that we would be well taken care of.

We arrived at ACE about an hour before departure. We were all fitted with full-body wetsuits, including booties, as well as helmets and paddles. We met our guides and then jumped on the bus for the 45-minute trip to the put-in.

We hit the water, and our first rapid, immediately. There was no time to worry about getting wet or cold - actually we never worried about it. We were always wet, but never cold! The guide was fantastic; I'm not sure how Grace, a very petite and energetic young woman, managed to steer and maneuver our 8-person boat by herself for the most part, but she was awesome. The great thing about the Gauley is that there isn't much waiting between rapids; I think our longest "calm" spot was only about 15-20 minutes or so.

Ace, and Grace, were great. We felt safe and warm, and the free beers on the bus trip home, followed by a hot shower in the Ace facility, topped off a wonderful day. I highly recommend this trip to anyone!

Morgantown, West Virginia
“Zipping at Ace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We zipped yesterday at Ace and found it to be the most awesome experience! Although we are from WV, it is an experience like no other. The weather was perfect, the guides incredible and the facilities first-class. Our guides, Eric and Jenn, made the group one of fantastic fun while assuring the safety first kept us all that way! We will be taking guests for this experience any time we can. Thanks!

Roseville, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
“Fall Upper Gauley Thrill Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was told ACE rafting guides are the best, and I have to say they are awesome. The people in our raft were new to the Upper Gauley and our guide took extra care of us. Lunch is provided and rafters have a choice between hamburgers, chicken, or a veggie burger, several different salads to choose from as well as some fresh fruit. We rafted on a Monday, so there were not a lot people rafting that day. Check in, wet suit rental, and personal flotation device processes were well organized. The trip leader (Kent) kept us entertained during our ride to the river. After the trip, we had an hour to clean up and then we met at a common area at ACE to view the carnage on the river.

Defiance, Ohio
“We LOVE this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have a group of friends that get together every year for the past 5-6 years in the fall to go whitewater rafting on the Gauley River. We have stayed locally at hotels and campgrounds, but as of this year, that is a thing of the past. We will now be staying at ACE.

We have been rafting with North American River Runners for several years now, and they have treated up like gold and we continue to love the experience that we receive from them. Staying at ACE has been on our wish list now, and we stayed in one of their new Rustic Pine Lodges (sleeps 8, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths) this year for the 2nd weekend of the Gauley season. Before, we would get back from rafting, go back to the hotel, then meet up somewhere for dinner (usually local, somewhat limited choices). Our group loves to cook, so going out wasn't always necessary except when we didn't have a place to make a meal. The cabin is supplied with all the accoutrements for making and serving a meal in their nicely equipped kitchen, with full-size appliances and service for 8 dinnerware, including a dishwasher (big bonus!)

The bedrooms are all king size beds, but can be split into twins so families could use the rooms for kids, if needed. The master bedroom has a bath en suite for privacy and the other bath is to be shared by the two remaining bedrooms. There is an AC unit in each bedroom so the occupants of the rooms can adjust to their own comfort levels, as well as a ceiling fan. A sleeper sofa accomodates two more people. There is a huge patio with a gazebo and a hot tub, a plus for soaking those newly discovered muscles you used for rafting. We utilized the outdoor park-style grill for cooking our meals.

The only downsides was the lack of larger pots for cooking and the knives that were provided weren't very sharp. The fresh vegetables I brought from our garden weren't so much sliced and diced as mashed and mangled. Notes made for next year - bring your own prep gear. And the inside seating was also limited by the size of the cabin, with only a small high top table with two chairs in the kitchen. It was apparent that the six-place table on the patio was intended for seating a larger group.

Clearly this was the way to raft and stay for a multi-day trip. We ate at the Lost Paddle Bar & Grill one night and the food was interesting and well-presented. It was late enough that we weren't terribly hungry, and appetizer orders were placed for our table. When the items were delivered, the server wasn't paying attention to the balance of the tray and dumped an order of nachos with guacamole on the corner of the table and down to the floor. We waited for an extra 10 minutes (the place was raucous and packed at 10pm on Saturday) for the new order to be sent out. Even with the mess-up, the food was very good. Service was spotty, but it was really busy.

All in all, our group thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and are planning another bigger trip for next year. Anyone up for a Gauley Marathon?? We are, and we will be staying with ACE Adventure Resort when we go!

Visited September 2012
boise
3 attraction reviews
“Fun, Fun, Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We did an all day raft trip on the lower Gauley River, and had a blast. The guide was super, and did his best to keep us from flipping out, while we navigated class 3/4/5 rapids.
The next day we went zip lining, and that was awsome! Guides Eric and Ben took care that we were safe, and enjoying the experience. I could not stop laughing the whole time, I was having so much fun. I am closer to Sr. Citizen age, so if I can do this and have fun, you know you can too. I would proudly recommend these adventures to any one. The young guides were very good, and considerate of all their guests .

Visited September 2012

Been to ACE Adventure Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage ACE Adventure Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.