“Long list” 1 of 5 stars
Review of ACE Adventure Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oak Hill
ACE Adventure Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Long list”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Let me start by saying that I've rafted with Ace a few times and always had a great experience.

But we stayed at the Truman Lodge (supposedly their largest and most "luxurious" cabin) this past weekend and this is what we encountered.

1. Broken Glass all over the outside area, on the picnic table, on the frozen lake, in the driveway, everywhere
2. Mouse Poop in all of the plates/bowls. We had to wash everything prior to eating
3. A washing machine that made our clothes dirtier and a dryer that started sparking/smoking when used
4. A USED CONDOM under one of the beds.
5. Let me repeat that. We found a used condom underneath one of the beds in the master bedroom. That's not hard to find if you tried at all to clean it.

There was a sign out back that said "future snow tubing park" which leads me to believe that they are probably planning on bulldozing it soon and don't care about the upkeep.

They felt bad after hearing our laundry list of complaints and gave us 1/2 our money back. Which was nice. I would advise using their rafting services again, but will NEVER sleep there again unless I really want hepatitis.

Room Tip: Use Class VI river runners at the top of the mountain if you're staying over night.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
BrandiWarwick, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
I’d like to start this post by flat out acknowledging we dropped the ball. In fact, you’ve opened our eyes and helped us realize it’s time for aggressive changes in order to ensure this NEVER happens again.

I know you spoke with our Chief of Staff, but I want to take the time to reply to your comments as well. As a long time employee of ACE, it’s disturbing that this was your experience and that there are members of our team who did not take your visit seriously. We can’t change the past and won’t offer excuses. However, we can make a promise to you. We will do everything in our power to make sure it never happens again.

Change has begun. There has been a thorough review, and we are implementing immediate changes in personnel and procedures to ensure our performance and quality control exceed our guests expectations.

Again, thank you for your candid feedback.

Brandi Warwick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We went on a three day package in September 13. 13 of us went and all of us are going back this coming September except two. Seven newbies are coming aboard though after hearing what a stellar time we all had. With an all-inclusive package we had zero worries and ate high end grub to our hearts content. The food is top shelf and so much better than anticipated. The rafting speaks for itself ... world class adrenaline, its all inclusive too lol! Just sittin around the camp fire and having a few drinks at the end of the day made it all the more memorable and enticing. Ace does a phenomenal job and all the staff fro A-Z are top shelf.

Room Tip: Rent a tent. It is cheap and you don't have to haul one or set up/take down...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This past weekend, my boyfriend and I took a trip to ACE Adventure Resort for a little getaway and the trip was ten times better than we ever could have expected. We knew we werent going to be arriving until late Friday night so I called ahead and told the Welcome Center that we would be there after business hours and they told us they would have a packet with info and our cabin keys and number hanging outside the Welcome Center, which they did. Per my request, they even delivered firewood to our cabin earlier in the day so that when we got there we could have a fire. The staff was wonderful during both the booking of this trip and the stay. When we arrived our cabin was clean with fresh linen, papertowls, garbage bags, etc. With it being November, it is obviously quiter this time of year at the resort and our cabins were spread out enough that we were never bothered by others--it was very relaxing. We did both the 1/2 day Rock Climbing and Zip Line. Our tour guide, Josh was ONE OF A KIND! He truly provided us with superb service and had us laughing all weekend long. He drew us maps for hiking, suggested some local places to grab a beer and grub, and really went above and beyond his typical job duties. My boyfriend and I agreed that though we would have had a great trip either way, Josh honestly made the weekend for us even more unforgettable. I have traveled to many places around the country and I must say, ACE adventures really impressed me and we will absolutely be back. I have even stayed at another adventure resort down there, but ACE adventure resort is def the best of the best. I highly suggest you check this place out and don't forget to ask for Josh!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hi Kelly!

Thanks so much for your great review of ACE Adventure Resort! We love to hear from our guests. Josh is a great asset to our team and we are beyond lucky to have him for so many years here with us. I'll make sure Josh sees your review. And thanks again for taking the time to write a review. It really helps us constantly try to aim to reach all of our guests expectations.

-Heidi Prior
Social Media Manager
ACE Adventure Resort
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The rafting was pretty extreme at that high water level, it is nothing like in summer and you will not recognize the river. We stood at the cabin with hot tub and it was very useful after a day in the cold flood waters. Out river guide had excellent knowledge of the river and we did well despite the fact that it was a very long and hard fight with all of that huge water all day long. To compare, I will rank it more extreme than Lower Gauley River in Fall 2800 cps. I will recommend it for those ppl who is looking for a new adventure, but you have to catch the high flow rates in the Spring (get info on snow melt and rain) - it totally worse it! I will surely go back!

Room Tip: look and ask for deals since March-May is not a high season for whitewater rafting in the area and g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
somewhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is the 4 or 5th time we have used ACE for the Fall Gauley whitewater season. They have a great hot lunch on the river and own their own outtakes and lunch area along the river which makes the experience better. Look for their Friday specials on their website to save some dough. Guides were friendly like always and willing to help tourists enjoy all the green goodness (wink) WV has to offer. Wetsuit rental is available, but consider buying your own on ebay. Ace also offers rock climbing, ATV tours, ziplines, and whatnot but the rafting is the main attraction. I would not recommend their lodging or their food, consider staying at the Comfort Inn and going to Pies and Pints for dinner. Do the Gauley not the New River, you will not regret. ACE provides free Barely Soda (beer)at the end of all their rafting trips, something not everyone does but should, it is a nice end to the trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kennesaw, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

First class all the way. Very friendly and accommodating staff. So much to do. Rafting the Gauley is incredible. Our guide, Kent, was awesome!! Great place to reunite with old friends and have fun. I thought I had been whitewater rafting before, but the Gauley is a whole new experience.
The campsites are very nice and the common areas for shower and changing are well maintained.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had only booked the zip line tour but by the end of the trip was wishing we had booked more activities and had came across Ace Adventures earlier in the summer. I had so much fun, at first I was a little skeptical with my burnt grilled cheese at the bar and grille over by the "camp crystal lake" lake but once we met up with our group and our guides it was on and it was fun and a casual delight.

Our guides were a merry bunch of misfits and kept us alive and entertained the entire trip. Gearing up and getting on a short "cheese bus" to take you up the mountain was hilarious! And the cold refreshments waiting at the end was much appreciated and a nice touch and went with the no fuss fun times of the day.

I can't wait to come back for zip lines and more activities. I highly recommend this place for a fun time, IF you can find it..lol.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to ACE Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!