“Upper Gauley Rafting Trip with ACE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ACE Adventure Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oak Hill
Save Saved
You added ACE Adventure Resort to your Saves list
Minden Rd, Oak Hill, WV 25901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$59 Mid-Week Zipline Tour
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Oak Hill
“Upper Gauley Rafting Trip with ACE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

What a great trip we had. We purchased our package from living Social that included two nights stay at a camp site, breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the day of our rafting trip and wetsuits for the day. We had an outstanding guide and the weather was great. I'm not a big rafter but this river is definitely top notch and so is the staff. Things that really made the trip for us were......

-Very nice riverside lunch at one of the biggest rapids.
-The 6 person raft made it easier to engage with our guide and hear all the info he was conveying to us.
-Dinner was great and the beer selection was good too.
-Logistically they were good. No wasted time in getting your equipment, signing waivers, transpo to and from the river, very professional.

If you dont want to raft ACE has lots of other activities to engage in and a huge lake with a water slide and other things for the kids.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

What a great place for an adventurous time. You need to go there! The employees are great you can tell they real love their jobs!! Everyone was super friendly and all were attentive to our want and neared!!
It was a great male bounding weekend. Brad is a great leader!! Stephen K was did a great job getting us down the Upper Gauley.
The lake activities are great for the kids.

Room Tip: Great varieties of cabins and locations. Great for non camping types. LOTS of great camping sites.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We got the deal from Living Social which made it more affordable. Zip lining at night is not as exciting as during the day, but if you are first timer, the darkness makes it easier for you- less scary. It's not between trees, rather cliff to cliff.
Upper Gauley was a blast, lunch by river consisted of hamburgers and hot cocoa or coffee (no tea ;( ) Pretty good. Horse riding was interesting, the trail is going uphill and downhill, there is a lot of mud, so be prepared for dirty jeans/shoes.

• Stayed September 2013
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your honest review of our resort and activities. We appreciate the extra effort, as it helps us get a good understanding of our strengths and weaknesses. As a tea lover myself, I will also mention this to our Lunch crew as a great third option for those Gauley days when we offer hot drinks!

Thanks again,
Heidi Prior
Garwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having rafted for over 40 years, from Colorado to Washington State, from the Canadian Rockies to Quebec, from the Smokies to Slovenia, the Upper Gauley was tops by far! More continuous white-water and more legitimate Class V rapds than any of the others. The guides really know the river and focus on your safety at all times. As a 66 year-old grand-father, I can now cross the Upper Gauley off my bucket list. Hoo-ha!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hi William,

My name is Heidi and I read all of ACE's Trip Advisor reviews. I just wanted to say- a big THANK YOU!

Thanks for the best email to read mid-day on a Monday ever. I rafted all over the world too, and yet the Gauley is still one of my absolute favorites. I pretty much moved to WV because of it!

Thanks for such a great review and we love hearing about folks who travel, love rivers and don't let a number in age stop them from living life to the fullest.

Hoo-ha indeed and thanks so much for choosing ACE Adventure Resort!

-Heidi Prior
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

From the very first minute at check-in, the ACE experience was second to none. Everyone was super friendly, extremely helpful, every question was answered, everything was organized. I did both the Upper and Lower Gauley rafting with a bit of zipline too. All the guides were happy. knowledgeable, communicative, and extremely competent. The Gauley tests the wits and skills of everyone on it, and I was completely impressed with the abilities and expertise of our guides. Everything went off without a hitch during the 3 days I was there. Even when the weather didn't co-operate and postponed the Upper trip for a couple of days, the ACE people went with the flow and made it work. And the food was outstanding. Whole roasted pig, a hind of beef, oysters on the shells, lox with capers..... I didn't really expect all that and was blown away. I've done several organized trips, here and abroad, and seriously, this group is world class. They do a superb job.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We took advantage of the Living Social deal that included camping, an upper or lower Gauley run, and breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the day of our run. This included the opportunity to go on peak days (Saturday) in the fall Gauley season. My daughter and I snapped up the deal and had a great weekend. The food surpassed expectations, with a great breakfast buffet and hot lunch on the river (too bad it rained all day, but that was no fault of Ace Adventures), and the evening buffet included a full roast pig, oysters on the half shell, boiled shrimp and other really upscale food. There was also a full bar, wine, and draft and bottled beer at reasonable prices. Everyone at the resort was very nice and professional and our guide was excellent and had 26 years of experience on various rivers in the southeast.

My only complaint was with the camping. We reserved one of Ace's tents because ours was worn out and we didn't want to purchase a new one on short notice. The tent we were issued was really unacceptable. It was supposed to have been a 4 person tent, but there was no way this would have fit four -- it was tight for two. It was given to us with no groundcloth or stakes. We requested the stakes and someone delivered them quickly, and we pitched the tent. Then we realized that it was not possible to install the fly sheet because there were so many tears and torn off pieces (there were also tears in the tent itself, and most of the poles were bent). Someone came back up and sort of jerry-rigged the fly sheet so that it would stay on, admitting that the tent really needed to be retired. We were also got sleeping pads with the tent that were 1 inch thick pads made of the same type of foam that is used for pool noodles. It kept us from feeling every rock on the campground, but that was about it.

Also, there is supposed to be quiet in the campground at midnight, yet there was lots of noise until past 3:30 a.m. After our day on the river we got back to the campground and the tent was completely wet. At that point we decided to cut our losses and just get a hotel room. Fortunately, there were still 3 rooms left at the Holiday Lodge just up the road (which is actually pretty nice.)

I would have given Ace a higher rating if not for the bad experience with the tent and campground. I would definitely go rafting with them again, however.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hi, my name is Heidi and I work for ACE Adventure Resort. I read your review today and wanted to take a minute to respond. First of all, thanks so much for writing a review! We love it when our guests take the time to write a review about their experiences at ACE. Obviously, we really love the good ones, but we also love it when things are brought up that we can improve upon.

Your review brings up something for us to definitely investigate further. I am going to send your review on to our grounds manager, so he can immediately find the tent in question and remove it from our inventory. I am also going to forward this on to our reservation team, so they can see how important it is to explain what our rental equipment entails and how to properly explain to guests so there expectations are met with satisfaction.

Thanks again for the review and feel free to contact me should you have any questions, comments or anything at all!

-Heidi Prior
heidi@aceraft.com
Piketon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was my third time at ACE and it was the best so far. The staff were very nice and made sure we felt at home. I had one of the bunk cabins, they were ok the beds were kind of rough and it was a little dirty inside. The food they offer for the brekfast buffey is expinsive but it tasts awesome. My friends and i had Morgan Davis as our lower new gully guide and she was amazing. She was extreamly knowlegable about the history of the river and the people that live on it. I felt completly safe with her as the leader of our trip. We will all be back next year but only if we can have Morgan as our guide. The river is great for beginners and if you are just trying to have a fun exciting raffting trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hey Benji,

Thanks so much for your review about ACE Adventure Resort. Morgan is a great asset to our team and we are so happy to have her on board full time again this year!

Per your remarks about the bunkhouses, I was just informed we plan to replace as many mattresses as we can this winter. So your remarks definitely help justify that budget decision!

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate any and all feedback we get.

We hope to see you again!

-Heidi

Been to ACE Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!