“"Excellent Location, but I need to use my Survival Kit"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Santurce, PR
“"Excellent Location, but I need to use my Survival Kit"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

They need to change the ottoman, it was so dirty (room 116). I need to use my "Survival Kit" (Clorox and Antibacterial Wipes, latex glove, etc.) because the toilet was dirty too. Excellent location, breakfast and nearby restaurants, mall and fast foods. Unfriendly staff and very slow WIFI.
Pros: NO PETS and 2 floors Non Smoking rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
somewhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Good hotel for the area. They still have smoking rooms! Windows open. We have stayed here 4 times in the last 5 years. This makes a great home base for whitewater rafting. Good clean rooms for a Comfort Inn. AAA discounts honored. Friendly front desk staff. Maid service does a nice job. Reservations are honored, no overbooking observed. Better than average bed quality. This is way better than sleeping in a campground or rustic cabin on site at a whitewater company. Only complaint: Breakfast set-up lady needs a lesson in customer service but it appeared to be her problem mostly. She would not allow us to grab a banana at 5:45am on the way out the door, breakfast opens at 6am. There sat the bananas we could look at the bananas but we could not touch them. Thank god they have her to enforce the rules and regulate. Her interaction with us cost them 1 star. Solid 4 star other than that.

Room Tip: Only one elevator in center of building, if you have mobility problems looks for a room on the first...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed coming and going from Myrtle Beach in July. We stayed on the first floor and the room was comfortable and exceptionally clean. The beds were firm and an assortment of pillows were available in varying sizes, an army sergeant would be impressed with how well made the beds were. The pool is at the back of the parking lot and surrounded by a solid wood fence so we never saw it but I suspect when the remodeling going on the upper floors is done there will be some changes there. The staff to a man was the best we have ever experienced, very down home and accommodating. The breakfast they offer is average but again is generous, clean and available for a very long time. We didn't try the waffles as we were anxious to get on the road. The coffee was wonderful, I drink decaf and in most places like this it is usually awful , this was fresh and delicious. This hotel sits right off the highway and yet was quiet with no interference or sound from the road even on the first floor. Good job to all concerned.

Room Tip: As they are remodeling elsewhere in the building(though they could be done by now) Ask for a room th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here during the BSA Jamboree. It wasn't bad, it was clean and close to where we needed to catch the shuttles. The pool doesn't close until 10 but they have no lights in the pool area so unless you are with a group I wouldn't swim when it gets dark. I do think it was pricey for what you got but that's probably because of Jamboree.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We chose this hotel for its convenient location near River Expeditions (3 minutes by car). Front desk staff was accommodating. Room was okay - typical Choice hotel room. Bed was comfortable and room/bath were clean. It was quiet. About a 10 minute drive to a variety of restaurants. Motel really is nearer Fayetteville than Oak Hill and the street address is not on any GPS. It is right on Route 19 so best to call for directions if you cannot find it. Found the breakfast okay but major complaint is the breakfast room is way too small to accommodate all the guests. We had to eat in the lobby which was okay. Lobby is a bit tired and could be improved. After a full day of rafting, we were very happy that our beds and showers were only minutes away!

Room Tip: We were on the back side and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

So where to begin...
We arrive at the hotel, looks great from the outside (must have just got painted).
Front desk lady was very nice, and I must admit that most of the situation was out of her control.

In the room the furniture was newer but the room was so DIRTY and smelled that way too.
Hair/stains on the sheets, dirty nightstands, hairs all over the bathroom, urine on the toilet seat, used soap packet in the shower, dirty microwave, hair in the fridge... the list goes on.

The hotel was slammed full so I didn't attempt to change rooms, instead I went to the local walmart and bought some lysol, air freshner, and sheets (so the room cost me an extra 50 bucks on top of the already extremely high price).

But then, the power went out.
So then another trip to walmart for candles and touch lights we were finally good to go.
The walls here are PAPER THIN so after listening to my neighbors "have fun" all night I was finally able to sleep around 2:00.

I understand the power going out is not the hotels fault but it has really put a sour taste in my mouth about this property and they were not willing to do refunds last night in order for me to go to a different town.

Almost all of the emergency lights in the hallways were nonoperational and my girlfriend twisted her ankle on the stairs (this is VERY illegal but whatever, it's West Virginia).

So there you go, I wouldn't stay here again, and if you decide to do so and care about cleanliness i suggest you bring your own bedding and cleaning supplies! :)

P.S. I have photos of the rooms problems but the internet here is too slow to upload them!

Room Tip: Walls are very thin, I don't know what to tell you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hunter ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

check in was very fast. Great staff and nice rooms. the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were clean. right off of highway 19 so access was great. many places to eat. free breakfast with many choices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn New River? Share your experiences!