“No Sleep Allowed!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Nitro
Roanoke, VA
“No Sleep Allowed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I decided to get away for a weekend and chose to head to Nitro, WV instead of Atlantic City. Big mistake. He's not a big gambler, but I like to give it a whirl so readily agreed to check out the Mardi Gras Resort as it was closer to home and the commercials made it look nice. The hotel is nice, at first glance. But after spending one night at the "resort" I knew we had to cancel the next day's reservations.

First off the room is okay, but nothing "resort-like" about it. There is a nice flat-screen tv which didn't have enough station choices and kept losing the signal. At one point it went totally black and the front desk had to reset the satellite which took over 15:00 before a picture finally came back. The room does not have a radio, just an i-Pod deck so no music. There is no mini-fridge either, just a mini-bar which had a couple of candy bars and energy drinks in it along with a notice that if you dare open it and touch anything you will be charged immediately as it has a sensor. Don't even think about putting any of your beverages in it or you will be charged $100! We kept away from it but I pity the family that has a child who unknowingly opens the door. The beds were very uncomfortable and the pillows squishy. The air conditioner worked well but was really annoying as it kept going on and off loudly. There is a small desk area with only one chair (in a double room) and no table. There is a one-cup coffee maker which I couldn't master. It had grounds and an oily surface on the coffee in all the cups I attempted. But by far the worst part is the construction of the hotel. There is no sound-proofing between floors, and rooms.

At first we thought there were children left in the room above us while their parents went to the casino. It sounded like they were jumping from bed to bed, running back and forth across the floor, stomping, dropping things, etc. I thought they had gotten into the mini bar and downed energy drinks! This went non-stop from 9:00pm onwards. Everytime we'd finally get a little comfortable in the bed and started to drift off we'd be awaken by a bang, laughter, screaming, music, whatever. At 1:00am when we heard what we thought were the "parents" return screaming they had sangria, merlot and beer we realized those weren't little kids up there. After the music blasted even louder we called the front desk and asked for help. Apprently nothing was done as the party kept going until 5:00am!!! We literally did not get one half-hour of sleep. I felt like the walking dead. So much for a relaxing weekend.

At 6:00am my husband and I looked at each other and I said, "We're getting the heck outta here!" There was no way I was going to pay such a high price for another night's torture. When we went downstairs and told them we wouldn't be staying an additional night I complained again about all the noise. Apparently there had been a bachelorette party going on and we weren't the only ones who complained. When the security guard went up there he didn't "hear anything" so nothing was done. I said he should have come into my room!

A couple of things about the casino itself...the slots were crummy pay-outs. No real progressive jackpots. I think the highest I saw was $1,250 on a Wheel of Fortune machine which stunk. You had to get all three WoF signals to even get a spin (in AC you only need 1). One machine I was on "malfunctioned" as I was about to hit a pretty big jackpot, 2 blue 7's popped up and then suddenly the third wheel starting spinning in free mode with a "call the attendant" light popping up. Suddenly all 3 wheels now spinned in free mode and every single wheel had a match. The attendant came by, opened the machine and naturally I lost my 2 7's. He reset it, closed the machine and nothing! Shenanigans!!!

The casino was pretty empty yet we still couldn't get on a $5 blackjack table. There were only 2 open. The rest were $10 and $25 which had hardly anyone sitting at them. We thought on Saturday morning the table minimums would drop but we were wrong...they actually rose the only two that were open. That was it. We were outta there!

We never got to try the pool or jacuzzi or even attend the dog races. I've read some of the reviews on here and was surprised at the high ratings this "resort" received. I will say the staff was very nice, but if you're looking for a "relaxing" room and peace and quiet, this is not the place to go.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had an absolutely incredible time. The room was positively gorgeous with a fantastic views. The cuisine was top notch and well presented by an excellent staff. The beds were extremely comfortable with great quality sheets and bedding. The atmosphere was relaxing. I loved the K Cup Coffee maker in the room! It was also nice to have an electronic safe. Shower curtain had magnetic stays to ensure containment of shower water which I found convenient since I like to put the water on a high spray. Beware the snack bar... do not touch or move the food unless you really intend to purchase it as it will automatically charge you. It also is extremely well lit by blue lights so you cannot miss it :) The costs to stay and eat in this amazing restaurant were minimal. Each person that I came in contact with was nicer and more helpful than the next. What a great vacation!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bowling Green, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed here one night on our way to Williamsburg, VA. Nice new hotel. Spacious and clean rooms. Didn't check out the casino, but looked nice. Delicious breakfast included. Only complaint would be the giant speed bumps in the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Independence, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel is new and everything is clean, service is friendly and we were were able to check in early .......by 1:30. The rooms were very ordinary, small bathroom, view of parking lot., thin walls, noisy. We stayed on a Friday night and with tax the charge was $144 with players card, which I thought was fairly high. The hotel is very convenient to the casino through a walkway.. The best part was the superior breakfast included. Made to order eggs, bacon, sausage, several juices etc.

The casino got very crowded in the evening. Earlier in the day we played blackjack for $3 which was raised to $5 at 5 pm and then $10 later at night. The slots were mostly old and very tight. It was difficult to get on the newer slots at night.

I'm not sure we would go back.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Had everything you would expect, comfortable beds, a mini bar, coffee/tea machine, which we could never get to work. We laughed when housekeeping explained that those euro coffee machines gave everyone trouble. Comp valet parking was a nice touch. Love that they offer room service but we did not order in. One word of caution about the restaurant in the casino, French Quarter. They serve some of the most disgusting food you'll ever eat. Overall the stay was nice and we will stay at this hotel again, but we will eat somewhere else.

Belmont, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband surprised me with a 25th Anniversary get away. The customer service was fantastic. Every aspect of this trip was so wonderful. From the moment we arrived until check out we were pampered. Thank you so very much. I can't wait until we get a chance to go back. I highly recommend it to all of my friends. Pam and Vickie helped my husband with many surprises, all employees were so kind and polite.

Bluefield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

My wife and I just got back in town from our honeymoon, staying three nights at this hotel. We loved it. The entire staff helped us a great deal, especially Leanna, Pam, Sonya and Vickie. They treated us as if we were home and as if they knew us our entire lives. They went the extra mile to make sure our stay was one we would remember for the rest of our lives. I would strongly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a weekend getaway or something a little longer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mardi Gras Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!