“Weekend Getaway-Summit Cabin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carnifex Ferry Cottages

Carnifex Ferry Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Nebo
Carnifex Ferry Cottages
Save Saved
You added Carnifex Ferry Cottages to your Saves list
Summersville Lake, Mount Nebo, WV   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Nebo
WV
“Weekend Getaway-Summit Cabin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I rented this cabin with another couple who were visiting from out of state this July. The cabin was a great size for two couples. There is a full size bed downstairs and two twins in the upstairs loft. The twins can easily be rolled together for a couple. The cabin was very clean. There is a nice back deck with a hot tub and a charcoal grill. There is also a fire pit and comfy hammock out back. The hot tub was very clean and nice! This cabin borders Carnifax Ferry State Park so I was able to go for an early morning jog on the Patterson Trail which features two beautiful overlooks to view the Gauley river. The cabin is convenient to the Lake and an easy drive into Summersville but still feels very secluded! There were a few bugs here and there but that's natural for such a wooded area! It was a great weekend stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in the McKinley Cabin over a weekend. Perfect couples getaway. The place was clean, and much better than expected. It is a short drive from the area attractions, and almost everything you need was provided. Very affordable

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My family and I spent a weekend in Benghams Bungalow and it was wonderful. The cabin was very clean and cozy. It is the furthest in the back and the deck is completely secluded. The staff was super friendly and very helpful in helping us get to various places. The cabins are only a couple of miles from the beach at Summersville Lake and Long Point overlook and about 10 minutes from the marina. Perfect location and very reasonably priced. I will say if you don't like bugs you probably don't want to stay in a cabin in the middle of the woods but if you like the outdoors this is the perfect place for you. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were a group of 4 guys and made a reservation for the "Summit cabin" on a weekend.
This place was great and very reasonably priced than most other cabins that I looked online around this area. I was totally impressed and loved everything in the cabin. The cabin itself seemed pretty new, the upstairs loft was pretty good and comfortable. The best part for us was that the cabins are spaced away nicely and your cabin feels private & the hot tub was awesome. Plenty of firewood was also provided.
The cabin is very close to the Gauley river and the overlook bridge, so we didn't have to drive long to spend the day.

There were a few spiders and some bugs, but the cabin itself was pretty clean and nicely maintained, I think its just part of staying in the woods.

Overall, we loved the place and will definitely stay again !

Room Tip: Don't keep any trash outside the cabin, there seems to be lot of racoons in the area and they wi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Spent the weekend at Nancy Hart's Escape.
The good: Easy to get to. Everything mostly worked. Great weather.
The bad: Killed 4 wasps. Absolutely NO supplies (salt and pepper, soap, sugar, plastic bags, etc). Volume didn't work on TV remote. Bedroom heaters are either at 150 degrees or off. Pillows and blankets are as thin and old as they could be. Felt as though the opportunity for outdoor April activities was a bit "oversold".
Great part of the state to visit. But when I go back (in the fall) I will not stay here. There is enough competition out there to stay somewhere that they are trying a little bit more...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Moundsville, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After all the stress that has been going on lately, we just had one of the most wonderful overnight vacations. We to stay at Nancy Hart's Escape one of Carnifax Ferry Cottages... it was beautiful. We had perfect weather ... a layer of snow on everything, no noise, a perfect hot tub, our own fireplace with lots of wood provided for us. The cabin was absolutely perfect and more than we expected. It was well taken care of, clean, and well equipped. The owners were so wonderful to us and allowed us extra time when checking in and checking out and the welcome notes personalized to me and my boyfriend were the sweetest things.We were able to get our reservations on really short notice which was amazing and it was really affordable for how beautiful and well maintained it is. It was a much needed romantic vacation. The location was wonderful to because we were able to see the Carnifex battlegrounds (with the pamphlets that were left in the cabin by the owners for us!), and so close to the lake, the the overlooks. Came home with a bit of serenity I haven't felt in a while. We will not only be back, but we are recommending this cabin to our friends and family!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunbar, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hi, my family and I stayed at General Floyd's Retreat a couple summers ago. Keep in mind I had 3 18 year old girls and my 14 year old son as well as my husband and I. We had an awesome time!! Loved the cabin...yes there were spiders and Raccoon's....but that is part of the charm! When you go to Summersville it is a CAMPING experience. So you get what the woods give you....we loved the hottub and my husband want's to build a house on the style of General Floyd's Retreat cabin....it was just the right size! We had all the amenities of being home, Full size Washer and Dryer, dishes, Microwave, Coffee Pot, Sheets/Blankets and Pillows. Nice trails to walk and explore.
We gave our kids the choice of going to the beach this summer or Carnifex Ferry Cabins and hands down carnifex won!! The Beach never had a chance, my kids (my whole family) love these cabins and this area. No they are not four star, but they also don't carry a four star price. I reccommend these cabins to anyone. My Brother-in-Law and future sister_in_law are planning a couple nights stay for their Honeymoon in June.

Angela McNealy, Dunbar WV

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carnifex Ferry Cottages? Share your experiences!