“Absolutely Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carnifex Ferry Cottages

Carnifex Ferry Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Nebo
Carnifex Ferry Cottages
Save Saved
You added Carnifex Ferry Cottages to your Saves list
Summersville Lake, Mount Nebo, WV   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Nebo
Lancaster, Ohio
“Absolutely Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My family and I spent a weekend in Benghams Bungalow and it was wonderful. The cabin was very clean and cozy. It is the furthest in the back and the deck is completely secluded. The staff was super friendly and very helpful in helping us get to various places. The cabins are only a couple of miles from the beach at Summersville Lake and Long Point overlook and about 10 minutes from the marina. Perfect location and very reasonably priced. I will say if you don't like bugs you probably don't want to stay in a cabin in the middle of the woods but if you like the outdoors this is the perfect place for you. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were a group of 4 guys and made a reservation for the "Summit cabin" on a weekend.
This place was great and very reasonably priced than most other cabins that I looked online around this area. I was totally impressed and loved everything in the cabin. The cabin itself seemed pretty new, the upstairs loft was pretty good and comfortable. The best part for us was that the cabins are spaced away nicely and your cabin feels private & the hot tub was awesome. Plenty of firewood was also provided.
The cabin is very close to the Gauley river and the overlook bridge, so we didn't have to drive long to spend the day.

There were a few spiders and some bugs, but the cabin itself was pretty clean and nicely maintained, I think its just part of staying in the woods.

Overall, we loved the place and will definitely stay again !

Room Tip: Don't keep any trash outside the cabin, there seems to be lot of racoons in the area and they wi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Spent the weekend at Nancy Hart's Escape.
The good: Easy to get to. Everything mostly worked. Great weather.
The bad: Killed 4 wasps. Absolutely NO supplies (salt and pepper, soap, sugar, plastic bags, etc). Volume didn't work on TV remote. Bedroom heaters are either at 150 degrees or off. Pillows and blankets are as thin and old as they could be. Felt as though the opportunity for outdoor April activities was a bit "oversold".
Great part of the state to visit. But when I go back (in the fall) I will not stay here. There is enough competition out there to stay somewhere that they are trying a little bit more...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Moundsville, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After all the stress that has been going on lately, we just had one of the most wonderful overnight vacations. We to stay at Nancy Hart's Escape one of Carnifax Ferry Cottages... it was beautiful. We had perfect weather ... a layer of snow on everything, no noise, a perfect hot tub, our own fireplace with lots of wood provided for us. The cabin was absolutely perfect and more than we expected. It was well taken care of, clean, and well equipped. The owners were so wonderful to us and allowed us extra time when checking in and checking out and the welcome notes personalized to me and my boyfriend were the sweetest things.We were able to get our reservations on really short notice which was amazing and it was really affordable for how beautiful and well maintained it is. It was a much needed romantic vacation. The location was wonderful to because we were able to see the Carnifex battlegrounds (with the pamphlets that were left in the cabin by the owners for us!), and so close to the lake, the the overlooks. Came home with a bit of serenity I haven't felt in a while. We will not only be back, but we are recommending this cabin to our friends and family!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunbar, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hi, my family and I stayed at General Floyd's Retreat a couple summers ago. Keep in mind I had 3 18 year old girls and my 14 year old son as well as my husband and I. We had an awesome time!! Loved the cabin...yes there were spiders and Raccoon's....but that is part of the charm! When you go to Summersville it is a CAMPING experience. So you get what the woods give you....we loved the hottub and my husband want's to build a house on the style of General Floyd's Retreat cabin....it was just the right size! We had all the amenities of being home, Full size Washer and Dryer, dishes, Microwave, Coffee Pot, Sheets/Blankets and Pillows. Nice trails to walk and explore.
We gave our kids the choice of going to the beach this summer or Carnifex Ferry Cabins and hands down carnifex won!! The Beach never had a chance, my kids (my whole family) love these cabins and this area. No they are not four star, but they also don't carry a four star price. I reccommend these cabins to anyone. My Brother-in-Law and future sister_in_law are planning a couple nights stay for their Honeymoon in June.

Angela McNealy, Dunbar WV

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am shocked to read the responses from the snobs on this website. You can't go to the West Virginia Mountains and not expect to see a few cobwebs... not even at The Greenbrier.

With that being said, we stayed in McKinley's cabin for 3 days and it was adorable! The cabin is an original log cabin from the Civil War era, and all the kitchen appliances, heater, fireplace, and bathroom facilities worked great. The hottub was EXTREMELY CLEAN and so relaxing. I've never seen clearer skies or heard so much quiet in one evening.

If you're looking for attractions nearby, I suggest checking out Summersville Lake and Dam, and a Greek Restaurant called Cafe Acropolis. If you want to buy groceries, there is a Walmart Supercenter 6 miles down the road.

I would definitely go back. This little cabin is the essence of relaxation and romance!

Room Tip: Choose McKinley's Cabin out of all the cabins.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tryon, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in Rosencranz Rendevous for one week. We also had our dog with us. This cabin was really awful. It was very old and rundown and unkept. The hot tub had a ring of scum at the waterline that we had to scrub before we could use it. The cabin was full of very big spiders - we killed one in the kitchen almost every day. The carpet in the master bedroom had large stains on it and was very dirty. The bathroom door was busted and you could barely get it to stay shut.
The firescreen on the fireplace was severly damaged and offered no protection to the hardwood floors from sparks and popping wood. There wasn't even a hearth rug to protect the floors. Made us very nervous even to make a fire, which we did only once.
There was at least an inch of grease and debris in the oven, which we had to clean before we could even use it. When we turned it on, the fire alarm went off before we realized the grease was there. The skillets were in terrible condition and made it very difficult to try to cook a meal. We actually went out and bought a mop and bottle of Lysol to clean the floors because we just couldn't stand that the place was so dirty. I noticed there was a note from the management on the kitchen counter to please leave a tip to the housekeeper when you left for all of her hard work to clean your cabin. We almost laughed - I don't know who is cleaning here, but I think she forgot her assignment and passed on this cabin. This cabin was dark and the windows were full of spiderwebs and other debris which was kind of creepy.
We walked around the grounds, which contained several other cabins. No one was renting the other cabins that day, so we took the opportunity to look at them. We noticed they were all newer, cleaner, and looked very nice. I don't know if the fact that we had a dog literally put us in the "dog cabin", but we were definitely in the worse cabin in the place.
This cabin nearly ruined our vacation. We travel quite a bit and always travel with our dog. We have never stayed in a place so depressing!! If you consider staying here, better not take your dog and make sure you stay in one of the other cabins.
We were told we would receive $75.00 of our dog deposit back if there was no damage to the cabin. We never received this back from the owner, even though there was no damage. In fact, this cabin was cleaner when we left than when we arrived, because we cleaned it!!
Watch out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carnifex Ferry Cottages? Share your experiences!